Old 16-11-2009, 04:25 PM   #16   [permalink]
SamIam
Forum Master

Originally Posted by MeMyself View Post
I'm still trying to figure out how Buffy The Vampire Slayer figures into all this. I saw the show a few times and throught it was idiotic, not to mention poorly done.

Adding to what SamIAm posted, I would note that in prior ages kids grew up a lot faster than they did today because they often had to go to work at a young age -- sometimes almost from the moment they could walk.

Anyway, age difference aside, and beside the fact that Fuko is obviously mentally a child, the relationship between a teacher and student probably shouldn't include a romantic relationship. Can an teacher objectively teach the student if they are involved? Can the student learn when she is shacking up with the teacher? I kind of doubt it.
For all the points mentioned and more, the answer is an emphatic yes ... the relationship should (must IMO) remain romantically neutral, while providing informational guidance by the much older and culpable adult.

As to the answer to the second question "can a student learn while ..." To be statistically fair, it IS possible in a Carl Sagan sense ... as in highly unlikely ... but the real question, should be ... What can be done to safeguard the juvenile prior to self directed maturity?

The answer (while easy to state, is nonetheless not easy to do) ... Create a safety "buffer" around the youngster, while providing a "tiered" access to increased levels of self direction and freedom upon demonstration of associated maturity level.

Ahem ... now time to step down from the soapbox ...

Err... Don't watch Buffy lol

Last edited by SamIam; 16-11-2009 at 04:27 PM.
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2009, 04:35 PM   #17   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

Send a message via ICQ to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via AIM to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via Yahoo to Pengi_Ken-Ohki
Skip Buffy, I was primarily referencing Angel anyway. The point I'm trying to make here is that I can't go 10 feet without hearing about (#@$ing Twilight which is about a romantic relationship between a 17 year old girl and a 100 year old boy. Yet here we are getting upset about a 14yo girl and a 20s guy.

In the case of Buffy it was a 240 year old vampire and a 17 year old girl.

People are selective in their disgust I guess.
Pengi_Ken-Ohki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2009, 04:14 AM   #18   [permalink]
SamIam
Forum Master

Originally Posted by Pengi_Ken-Ohki View Post
In the case of Buffy it was a 240 year old vampire and a 17 year old girl.

People are selective in their disgust I guess.
True, but by definition, a vampire is an inhuman monster, or at the very least, not human in the conventional sense ...

Thus if you replace vampire with monster ... as in "... it was a 240 year old monster and a 17 year old girl."

In such scenarios, evil intent is to be expected, by the very definition of the players and their roles.
Old 19-11-2009, 10:34 PM   #19   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Bela Legosi redefined the vampire as a lover. Since then, the vampire has been redefined over and over again. See my posting on Lunar Legend Tsukihime.

Having said that, what the hell does this have to do with Strawberry Eggs? We are talking about a human adult male and a 14-year-old girl, not some mythical creature.
MeMyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2009, 05:35 AM   #20   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

Send a message via ICQ to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via AIM to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via Yahoo to Pengi_Ken-Ohki
They're both mythical. Sure, I see articles every other week about a teacher and their student, but that isnt what this thread focused on..it was a fictional teacher hitting on a fictional girl. I reckon bringing Twilight into it is fair game.
Old 22-11-2009, 11:39 AM   #21   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

What we are talking about is the general concept of a sexual relationship between a grown man and a 14-year-old girl, and how this is not uncommon in anime. You admit it occurs in real life. And it is quite different than the concept of vampires falling in love, which does not occur in real life.

The question is are the Japanese fixated on these Lolita relationships, and why?
MeMyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2009, 04:05 PM   #22   [permalink]
SamIam
Forum Master

What we are talking about is the general concept of a sexual relationship between a grown man and a 14-year-old girl, and how this is not uncommon in anime. You admit it occurs in real life. And it is quite different than the concept of vampires falling in love, which does not occur in real life.

The question is are the Japanese fixated on these Lolita relationships, and why?
I have a pet theory on this ... which has to do with the "Asian" Cultural bias towards academics, finance and success in general. This often comes with the sacrifice of emotional maturation.

Thus you have an imbalanced individual who greatly excels in matters of the mind, but may be behind in the realm of feelings and emotions. This then may have the effect of "plateauing" the individual at a pivotal emotional stepping stone ... most likely at the point of priority divergence (beginning with the onset of puberty during middle school/early high school)

Thus, the icon for sexual awareness manifests as the forbidden sailor suited school girl who made an impression during this formative period in the individuals life.

This could then have the ongoing effect of a desire for this male to chase the "dream" of an adolescent fantasy that he neverly got the chance to mature out of ... or perhaps its the passive pursuit of a lost youth after the fact.

Sam

Last edited by SamIam; 24-11-2009 at 12:34 AM.
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2009, 04:25 AM   #23   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

Its not uncommon in western media either...that is what Im trying to tell you. I,My,Me and that other anime I mentioned earlier stand out because even as anime fans we find it creepy.

Personally I think Americans are far more puritan than they realise. That Japanese men love young girls isnt that surprising. Take away the social stigma/legal repercussions and lets see how American men/media would behave on the subject?