Old 17-02-2010, 12:08 AM   #1   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Arrow Cromartie High School

Takashi is a 16-year-old high school student, who is basically a good guy. But due to one little mistake, he is sent to Cromartie High School, a school whoís student body is made up entirely of juvenile delinquents. Takashi soon establishes himself as the strongest guy in his class, making him the head man. But he has to deal with the leaders of the three other first year classes -- a gorilla, a robot, and some guy who looks like the late Freddie Mercury. (The even call him Freddie.) Thatís about as serious as this series gets.

Cromartie High School is a spoof of. . . . Well, everything. I watched disc 1, which contains the first eight episodes. Each episode, including credits, runs just under 12 minutes. The situations are pretty ridiculous. The storylines are contradictory in parts. But the series is just for laughs. Unfortunately, most of the humor is lost in the translation. Oh, and all the schools in the series are named after former major league baseball players who went to play in Japan.

I already have disc 2 from Netflix, so I might as well watch that. I might as well watch discs 3 and 4, as it should not take too long to get through this anime series. Itís not exactly mind candy. So no one give away any spoilers. Wait, thereís really no storyline, so I guess there are no spoilers.
MeMyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2010, 11:20 AM   #2   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

I've completed disc 2, episodes 9-14. There are a few more laughs on this disc than on disc 1, but much still does not translate well.

There are a couple of running gags concerning a character named Maeda. He keeps getting kidnapped by a rival gang from Bass High, but for one reason or another his friends cannot rescue him -- such as taking a cab driven by a cabbie who doesn't know his way around Tokyo. There is another running gag about the other characters showing up at Maeda's house uninvited for one reason or another.

Actually, the characters in this series are pretty welll defined. That is one thing that Cromartie High School has going for it.

I'll start on disc 3 tonight.
Old 23-02-2010, 10:46 PM   #3   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

I finished the next six episodes on disc 3. Things really get rolling Mechazawa, the robot, adapts to his new life as a motorcycle. Freddie takes over the Pootan TV show. And Takashi becomes the top boss of high school gangs thanks to his knowledge of yorgurt. If all this confuses you, don't worry. Nothing in this anime is suppose to make sense.

Oh, there is a two parter. Hokuto, the rich guy who wants to control everyone because he is better than everyone, has a lackey. The lackey spends two episodes trying to tell everyone his name. I know it sounds kind of stupid, but actually these are the two best episodes in the series.

Anyway, I will give my final analysis after watching the final disc.
Old 26-02-2010, 12:02 AM   #4   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

I wrapped up watching the series with disc 4, episodes 21-26. Some of the best comic material of the series is on this disc. But there is still some humor that is lost in the translation. There is also a lot of humor that has Japanese cultural/social/political references that non-Japanese viewers may not get. There is a cultural reference guide on each disc under Extras. But while it does help explain the target reference, it does not necessarily make the jokes any funnier.

But there are laughs here and there. Plus the outlandish situations kept me interested. In all, I rate Cromartie High School as Average. Take it or leave it. You will be entertained, but it is not like you are missing out on anything if you don't watch the series.