Old 06-03-2010, 11:45 PM   #1   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Cool Gilgamesh

I like the look of this one!

I just finished disc 1, episodes 1-5. Seventeen-year-old Kiyoko and her 14-year-old brother Tatsuya live in a post-apocolyptic world in which they find themselves in the middle of a struggle between two supernatural forces. One is call the Children of the Devil, or something like that. The other are Gilgamesh. Kiyoko and Tatsuya have a few secrets to uncover, but they also have a few secrets of their own.

I like the bland color scheme, which at times looks black and white with just a dash of color. It really fits this dark anime. Also the artwork is different from other animes in that the characters are drawn with sharper features. There are no big-eyed beauties here.

There are six more discs to go. I plan to watch all of them, so
NO SPOILERS PLEASE!
MeMyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 12:14 AM   #2   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Kiyoko and Tatsuya are under the protection/control/power of the Countess. She is the hero fighting the evil Gilgamesh. Or are the Gilgamesh the heros and the Countess the villianess? Or are both sides the bad guys? This series keeps you guessing.

Anyway, I've finished disc 2, episodes 6-9. Kiyoko and Tatsuya, despite their best efforts, find themselves moving apart for the first time in their lives. Not only is this an action series, but it also an emotional melodrama.

I start disc 3 tomorrow.
Old 15-03-2010, 10:21 PM   #3   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

I have finished disc 3, episodes 10-13. Tatsuya now joins the other children who have been blessed/cursed with the power of dynamis, and is part of the fight against Gilgamesh. The story does not advance too much, but these episodes do define Tatsuya's relationship with the other characters -- plus a secret about Tatsuya is revealed. Kiyoko doesn't fare so well, but I won't tell.
Old 20-03-2010, 11:01 PM   #4   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Isn't teenage love so cute? Well, we get a taste of it in disc 4, episodes 14-17. Some of it seems innocent enough, but. . . .

Anyway, it seems there is some hope that the world will be able to return to the state is was in before the 10-10 disaster. Meanwhile, the Countess and her kids get a new ally in the fight against Gilgamesh -- only this ally may be more evil and more dangerous than Gilgamesh. There is death and destruction, plus each episode seems to end with a cliffhanger better than the one before. Things are beginning to heat up.

Anyway, there are three more discs to go. I am going to try to rush and finish them this week since I will be away for about a week and a half. Wish me luck!
Old 21-03-2010, 09:45 AM   #5   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

Send a message via MSN to ACE2001 Send a message via Yahoo to ACE2001
Hmm...I wanted to watch this when it first came out. I think I will go ahead and give it watch sometime in the next few weeks.
ACE2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2010, 06:58 PM   #6   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Good news for me! It seems that the last three discs only have three episodes each, which means I should finish the series before I leave town. Of course, one wonders why they did not condense this down to five or six discs. More money?

Anyway, I did get through disc 5, episodes 18-20. Tatsuya and the children of Orga learn the secret behind who they are, and a major character unexpectanly dies. I sense the final confrontation is in the making.
Old 23-03-2010, 11:07 PM   #7   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Lurking unseen in the background is Kiyoko's and Tatsuya's father, who is the man behind 10-10, or double-X, which has caused all the misery to date. In disc 6, episodes 21-23, we learn of his story in a series of flashbacks. What is interesting is how the color scheme changes. For the pre-XX period, the colors are brighter and lighter.

Meanwhile, the stage is set for the final battle.

I will give my full review after I watch disc 7 and the final episodes. Check back later in the week.
Old 25-03-2010, 11:02 PM   #8   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

I've finished the series. Well, it is no spoiler to say that things would lead up to a confrontation between Tatsuya and his father. Basically, it was a typical anime depressing and confusing ending. I may have to watch it again, but it took a bit of thinking afterwards to figure everything out. That is I think I figured everything out -- or at least 90% of it.

My final analysis? Gilgamesh has an interesting storyline which keeps your attention. There are also some very good action sequences, but don't expect a fight in every episode. There is more detail paid to personalities, inter- and intra-personal conflicts, and relationships. The problem is that the series does get bogged down in these little personality studies. It overtakes the plot development and sometimes I found myself wanting to press fast-forward. But I maintained my patience, and was usually rewarded. Also, the artwork is intriguing.

I rate Gilgamesh as average.

If anyone wants to discuss the ending, or anything else, with spoilers, let me know and we can start a seperate spoilers thread.

Last edited by MeMyself; 25-03-2010 at 11:11 PM.
Old 09-04-2010, 01:18 AM   #9   [permalink]
Zemlianika

Send a message via MSN to Zemlianika
How do you all get so much time to sit down and watch television?!

Don't you people work?
Old 10-04-2010, 09:06 PM   #10   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

I work. I work hard. Watching a bit of anime helps to get my mind off a hard day at the office.

I also watch movies, baseball and news (if I can find real news).
Old 11-04-2010, 09:21 AM   #11   [permalink]
Zemlianika

Originally Posted by MeMyself View Post
I work. I work hard. Watching a bit of anime helps to get my mind off a hard day at the office.

I also watch movies, baseball and news (if I can find real news).
I work all night. And sleep all day. M=But my neighbors are too loud but it's not like I can yell shut up I'm sleeping. They'll just yell back at me, "It's freaking 12 afternoon!" And then curse me to hell or something...
Old 12-04-2010, 08:35 PM   #12   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Originally Posted by Zemlianika View Post
I work all night. And sleep all day. M=But my neighbors are too loud but it's not like I can yell shut up I'm sleeping. They'll just yell back at me, "It's freaking 12 afternoon!" And then curse me to hell or something...
Try inviting them over to watch anime. Then sic a pit bull on them. It's safer than calling the cops because then they will be too afraid to take reprisals.

Old 12-04-2010, 09:12 PM   #13   [permalink]
Zemlianika

Originally Posted by MeMyself View Post
Try inviting them over to watch anime. Then sic a pit bull on them. It's safer than calling the cops because then they will be too afraid to take reprisals.

Why joke? I might as well take your advise coz nothing else helps!