Old 02-05-2010, 01:08 AM   #1   [permalink]
A Wild Ink

Exclamation A Anime Study - come get some survey action

I'm in a class at my university that requires students to do original research and write a scholarly paper. We can pick any topic to research, as long as it has something to do with media. People love to research media, it turns out, and every topic from kids and violent video games to soap operas in the South Pacific has been hit on EXCEPT for anime. Guess what my project is about.

To make this work, I need fans of anime to fill out the survey questions posted below. It's not as big and scary as it looks, I promise, and you don't help anyone by being snarky and making up silly answers. The questions are mostly open-ended and, as this study is on anime and psychology, the more you write, the happier I'll be.

Thanks for your help, all. I'm looking forward to compiling your data.

SURVEY START:

SECTION1
Who is your favorite anime character, and why?

What is your favorite anime genre, or what are your three favorite series?

What is your favorite anime couple?

Which anime character do you find the most attractive? Why?

How long have you been watching anime? Do you remember your first show?

How many series are you following right now? Which ones?

SECTION 2
Describe the ideal member of the opposite sex, your dream guy/girl.

Are you in a relationship? If so, describe your boyfriend/girlfriend. If not, how long has it been since your last relationship?

What three things would absolutely turn you off to a member of the opposite sex?

Find a quote that best expresses your views on love and drop it here.

SECTION 3
What are your three favorite non-anime shows?

What makes anime so different from American/Western TV?

Do you watch more Japanese anime or American-produced entertainment?

What kind of music do you like to listen to? Who’s your favorite artist/band right now?

SECTION 4
Would you say that you have a small group of close friends, or do you have friends all over the place? Does neither describe you?

Think of your best friends. What interests do you have in common?

What do you and your friends do when you hang out together?

How often do you get together with your friends?

Would you go to an anime convention? Why or why not?

SECTION 5
How much time each day do you spend talking to your family?

How many hours each day do you spend online? How much of that time is anime-related?

Name three activities/organizations that you are involved in.

Name a few things about your environment (school, work, anywhere you find yourself on a regular basis) that annoy you.

Describe your personal style. What’s your day-to-day wardrobe?

Do you wear clothes/accessories that let people know that you watch anime?

What would you say to people who think anime is something for kids?

Most Americans do not understand anime. Agree or disagree? Please explain your answer.

SECTION 6
Have you ever felt judged for watching anime? If so, how often do you feel that way?

Do you participate in role playing threads on forums? If so, what kinds of characters do you typically create for yourself?

Describe the kind of person you want to be someday in 3-5 words. (ex.: fat, happy, rich)

Describe how you think you appear to others in 3-5 words.

What would people say is your best asset? What’s one thing you want to improve about yourself?

Do you feel that anime is a “lifestyle” and, if so, do you live it?

Find a quote that best describes your outlook on life and drop it here.

SECTION 7
Given the option to live in the US or in Japan, which would you choose and why?

What could popular American culture learn from Japan?

Do you know any Japanese?

As far as anime goes, dubbed or subbed? Why?

What does the term “otaku” mean to you? Would you consider yourself an otaku?

SECTION 8
Please leave your age, sex, and race. These are minor points in the research, but still worth recording.
A Wild Ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 10:55 PM   #2   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Originally Posted by A Wild Ink View Post
I'm in a class at my university that requires students to do original research and write a scholarly paper. We can pick any topic to research, as long as it has something to do with media. People love to research media, it turns out, and every topic from kids and violent video games to soap operas in the South Pacific has been hit on EXCEPT for anime. Guess what my project is about.
Talk radio?

When I have more time, I'll go back and try to give your questions an answer. Do you want us to post them here? It might get kind of weird.
MeMyself is offline   Reply With Quote