Old 01-06-2010, 12:06 AM   #1   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Post Busso Renken

Iíve been watching this series on Comcast On-Demand. I think theyíre finished with the first season. I donít know how many seasons there are, but the closing credit sequence has changed and thatís usually a clue. Anyway, here are my observations to-date.

Busso Renken is all about alchemist warriors fighting homunculi. I know this sounds a bit like Full Metal Alchemist, but actually it is quite different. First of all, the hero gets killed in the very first scene, but he does get better. OK. A kid named Kazuki tries to save the life of a girl being attacked by a monster, but is killed in the process. The girl is Tokiko, an alchemist warrior, who repays Kazukiís efforts by implanting a kikugami into his chest replacing his heart. The kikugami contains the power of Busso Renken, which gives the bearer the power to fight monsters. So now we know where the series gets its name.

Kazuki joins the fight against the homunculi to protect his friends and his kid sister -- who just happens to look like the younger sister of Bleachís Orihime. (Actually, Ichigo makes a cameo appearance in one episode. But the series is made by the same people who make Bleach.) Of course, Kazukiís power grows faster than anyone can realize.

This is another teenagers-save-the-world anime. Itís not badly done, but it has one great weakness -- the villains are too juvenile or too outlandish to be a credible threat to anyone. The main villain is so outwardly gay that he is a caricature rather than a character. He prances around dressed as a butterfly. For those who sat through at least one season of The Venture Brothers, he looks like The Monarchís gay brother.

Iím sticking with the series for now. I will let you know if it gets any better or if I tire of it.
MeMyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2010, 11:44 PM   #2   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

I got through the first 15 episodes. There are more, but it appears that Comcast's On-Demand will not be carrying them. No biggie. It has its' moments, but it is not quite good enough to bend over backwards to find the episodes I did not see.
MeMyself is offline   Reply With Quote