Old 08-02-2011, 11:22 PM   #1   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Cool Black Cat

Train Heartnet, aka Number 13 aka Black Cat, is a highly trained and very effective assassin. But he seems to have begun to question himself after meeting a cute kimono clad bounty hunter, or sweeper. He also crosses paths with Sven Vollfied, another sweeper but one with psychic powers. In addition, there is a cute thief named Rins and a young girl turned bio-weapon named Eve.

I have watched the first disc, episodes 1-4, which seems to be a set up for the rest of the series. All these characters cross paths setting the story in motion. Train is a wonderfully dark character, one of the darkest I have ever seen in anime. This is what attracts me to the series, but I am not at all sure that the series will keep in this direction. There is some comedy and lots of action. So far, though, I like it.

I watched the first four episodes twice, in English and in Japanese with subtitles. There are some differences. So far, I think the English dub is better, but I will continue to watch both for now.

More to come as the series progresses. Your comments are welcome, but remember - NO SPOILERS!
MeMyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2011, 01:03 AM   #2   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

It took a while to get disc 2, episodes 5-8. But now that I have completed the next eight chapters. . . .

Everything through chapter 7 is apparently a set up for the rest of the series and the eventual teaming up of Sven and Train. Train is caught between his old organization, Chronos, and his former partner, Creed, who has turned traitor. An unexpected tragedy pushes Train over the edge.

But when we get to episode 8, the tone of the series seems to change. Train is less dark and a bit more comic. I really don't like this and hope it is just a temporary lull. But I guess I will find out when I start disc 3.
Old 24-02-2011, 12:22 AM   #3   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

So I have gotten through disc 3, episodes 9-12. After episode 10, I decided to just watch the English dub. The differences over the English dub and the Japanese with subtitles are only on minor points. Besides, the series is not turning out to be as good as I hoped, although it is not that bad either. There is some good action in disc 3.

The problem is that Train at one point seems to be turning into a more comic character. The darkness leaves only a shell of his former self. But that seems to be temporary, for the darkness returns in a reunion with Creed. Train seems to face his moment of truth. No, that can't be! The series is only half over! Well, we will see over the next several episodes. Hopefully, the complexity that is Train will return.
Old 27-02-2011, 11:33 PM   #4   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Disc 4, episodes 13-16, seems to begin the second season. Train gets some new allies, though they are mostly for comic relief. The story barely progresses. Most of what we get is filler, although the episodes are entertaining. Still, the series is most certainly not going in the direction I had hoped. But only two discs left, so I will finish it. Maybe there will be a big finish.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:57 PM   #5   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

In disc 5, episodes 17-20, things start getting interesting again. The battle against Creed is brewing, and this creates some strange alliances. Train may survive the battle, but will his new found morales? For those of you who like action, episodes 19 and 20 are just for you.

One disc to go.
Old 07-03-2011, 11:31 PM   #6   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

I've finished the series. This series probably could have ended at episode 20, but they managed to squeeze four more episodes out of it. But disc 6 does end the series -- and quite explosively, too.

Bio-weapon Eve is kidnapped as part of a plot to bring world peace -- by destroying the human race. The final battle unites old friends and enemies. Who will survive?

It is a pretty good ending, although the darkness that drew me in for the first few episodes is totally absent. One problem with the series is that there are a few action sequences which are a bit confusing. It is hard to follow who is doing what to whom. Could there be a season 3? Maybe.

In all, it was a pretty good series, though not as good as I hoped it would be. You get some excitement, some tragedy, some human development, but you also get the feeling it does not go far enough.

I will rate this 3.5 on a 5 point scale.
Old 24-04-2011, 02:09 AM   #7   [permalink]
dheu
Forum Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to dheu
That's a pretty fair rating from what I've seen.

I've only watched a bit of the anime, but I remember it did start off in a completely different direction than the manga did. I was a bit surprised to hear you describe Train as "dark," or at least until I remembered the different beginnings, because he's pretty much a comic character right from the beginning in the manga, with moments of darkness sprinkled in for flavor.

For awhile I debated continuing the series, but after reading as much of the manga as I did, and then starting the anime, it felt like I was taking a bunch of steps backwards. The manga starts off with Train and Sven teamed up, and it was a weird feeling to go back to the beginning again, with an alternate story of how they met. So I dropped it.