Old 28-03-2011, 10:36 PM   #1   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Red face Just finished disc 1 of FMP

I just finished disc 1 of Full Metal Panic, the first series. It's not bad. It is entertaining. But really, it does not seem like anything that special. I know it was a big hit in Japan - it had to be to span two sequels. But so far, it is not much of what I have seen already.

Have I been watching too much anime? Some of these shows seem like retreads of other series.

I will stick with it for now, though. There was some good action in episode 4, plus a cliffhanger. Sousuke seems like a good character, unless at the end he remains the same as in the beginning. Then what's the point?

No spoilers please!
MeMyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2011, 10:55 AM   #2   [permalink]
cool2burn
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to cool2burn Send a message via AIM to cool2burn Send a message via Yahoo to cool2burn
Dont worry it is going to get alot better. Make sure you watch it all i hear something new is in the works ofr this series! You might have picked a good time to watch it. You also gotta watch Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu after the finish the first season it is too damn funny

http://www.willworkformunchies.com/i...yStarDance.gif
cool2burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2011, 10:42 PM   #3   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Well, I have committed myself to finishing the series. But I am not going to spend a lot of time with it. It certainly is not mind candy, so just watching it once through with the English dub is enough for me. I will wait until I finish before deciding if I want to watch the second and third series. I just started disc 2 and so far it is entertaining, but also a bit predictable. So much of what the series has is what I have seen before in other animes. But I will hold my final judgement until the end of disc 7.

Fumoffu is the second series, and The Second Raid is actually the third. Correct?
Old 04-04-2011, 02:41 AM   #4   [permalink]
cool2burn
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to cool2burn Send a message via AIM to cool2burn Send a message via Yahoo to cool2burn
Fumoffu isnt per say a season it is just a series of extremely funny stories. No plot what so ever.

http://www.willworkformunchies.com/i...yStarDance.gif
cool2burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 10:43 PM   #5   [permalink]
Kurai Kodomo
Forum Addicted

Send a message via ICQ to Kurai Kodomo Send a message via AIM to Kurai Kodomo
I've seen the first season. It was ok but like you said it's nothing you can't see in other shows. I thought it was worth the watch but I checked it out from the library so I didn't have to pay for it...
Old 06-04-2011, 11:22 PM   #6   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

I've just finish disc 4. I liked the fish-out-of-water theme, but now it's getting old. I find myself watching the timer on the DVD player to see how much time is left for each episode. But Netflix delivers disc 5 tomorrow, so I might as well finish the series. I hope something interesting happens in the second half.

Last edited by MeMyself; 06-04-2011 at 11:35 PM.
Old 14-04-2011, 11:36 PM   #7   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Final review!

Well, the bordom of disc 4 gave way to some interesting storylines. But there are also a few plot points that defy credibility. A 16-year-old girl as captain? Even with her powers. . . . I'll stop there before I get into a spoiler.

The last half of the series gets more entertaining. But the development of Kaname's relationship with Sousuke has too little time devoted to it. Boy fans who like fan service should enjoy the last two episodes - you dirty, little ****.

But still, there is little here I have not seen before. Much is a rework of earlier series.

Overall, I rate this series as average. I may watch the two sequels, but not just yet. There are other series I want to see first.
Old 24-04-2011, 02:58 AM   #8   [permalink]
dheu
Forum Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to dheu
I like Full Metal Panic. The first season laid some good groundwork, and the third season really took a huge step forward in terms of character development.

But I still have to say that the second season is my favorite, because it is just comedy, pure and simple. Downright hilarious stuff. Fumoffu is one of my most treasured anime purchases, simply because I watch it so often.

Depending on what you're looking for in the series, I'd recommend checking out either one of those two seasons (character development <-- season 3, comedy <-- Fumoffu). I think overall the show is rather underrated, and I'm thrilled that more of it might be in the works.
Old 27-04-2011, 08:46 PM   #9   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

FUMOFFU is now showing on XFinity On-Demand. I just got back into town and am waiting for Netflix to send disc 1 so I can get caught up. I might as well watch the rest On-Demand.
Old 28-04-2011, 11:35 PM   #10   [permalink]
dheu
Forum Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to dheu
Great! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. If my dvds weren't in storage, I'd be watching it right now!
Old 29-04-2011, 06:24 PM   #11   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

The good news is that Netflix trashed their old FUFOFFU discs and got a more recent batch which has the entire series on two discs. I assume they have been remastered and improved. The bad news is that there is a very long wait for disc one.
Old 13-05-2011, 06:41 PM   #12   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

I just finished watching the first four episodes of Fufoffu on Netflix streaming. The other episodes I can catch on Xfinity On-Demand, assuming I really want to.

I was not all that impressed. Itís not that Fufoffu is necessarily bad. Itís just that all the gags are based on the premise of Souskuke being a fish out of water. With Souskuke being such a one-dimensional character who doesnít change, it gets really old after a short time. Quite frankly, I didnít find the gags funny at all. They were all variations of the same old thing.

There are some hints at the end of episode 4 that Souskukeís relationship with Kaname may change and become more interesting. I only wonder if it is work staying with the series for that reason.