Old 04-11-2010, 10:47 PM   #1   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Exclamation Hell Girl

Ai is an unremarkable, quiet and somewhat sad schoolgirl. But at midnight, get onto her website and leave the name of someone who has wronged you. Then Ai and her three assistants will take that person to hell - for a price!

I watched disc 1, episodes 1-5. So far there is no running storyline. Each episode is a separate story onto itself. The best one was episode 1 about a bullied schoolgirl. Episode 5, where a corrupt businesswoman tries to misuse Hell Girl is interesting. Episode 3 about a star high school baseball pitcher barely held my interest.

I think the series would be more entertaining if there was a running storyline. Maybe there will be one later on. Still, it is not a bad series and does have its moments. I will stay with it for now. Can anyone tell me, yes or no, if there will be a storyline? If so, PLEASE NO SPOILERS!
MeMyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 08:40 PM   #2   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Iíve finished disc 2, episodes 6-10. Aiís adventures continue with five new stories. But a continuous story begins with episode 8. A small time reporter, who makes a bit of money on the side blackmailing people, begins to investigate Hell Girl. He is raising an adolescent girl who has psychic powers. She seems to be his daughter in the English dub, but in the Japanese with subtitles I get the impression that she is his kid sister. Not much time is spent on this plotline so far, and it appears it will develop slowly.

Still, I am now getting into the series more. I like the overall dark mood. Besides, disc 2 is better than disc 1. Episode 10 is a real tragedy. But I must warn you about episode 7 -- the English dub has quite a bit of profanity. If there is profanity in the Japanese dub, it is not translated in the subtitles.

So far, all of the people Ai has taken revenge for are teenagers. Nine of the ten are girls. The victims are teens and adults, and male and female.

It looks like Iím into this series for the long haul. There are six discs, plus a follow-up series Netflix does not yet have.
Old 14-11-2010, 11:02 PM   #3   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

I finished disc 3, episodes 11-14. With episode 13, the series begins to focus more on Shibata, the reporter mentioned above. His path keeps crossing Ai's, and he is determined to find out more about Hell Girl and to stop her. So we are now getting more of a continuous storyline.

If you like dark anime, you'd like this one. The characters are so depressing!
Old 19-11-2010, 12:15 AM   #4   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

And now for disc 4, episodes 15-18. Is there a connection between Shibata and his daughter, and Ai? I noticed that Ai's voice is a bit different in episode 16. It is not as quiet. Episode 17 is quite different than the rest of the episodes to date. It is more of a ghost story.

I was wondering why they chose not to do more with the color scheme for this anime. The scenes in Aiís world are bathed in a reddish light. But the scenes in the real world are brightly colored. It is no different than any other anime. I was thinking that maybe Hell Girl would be more effective with a non-traditional color scheme - maybe one with a lot of grayish tones or subdued colors. I mean have it more like Boogiepop Phantom.

Watching this series also made me think on how all schools shown in anime look exactly the same!

I start disc 5 over the weekend. More later.
Old 24-11-2010, 12:36 AM   #5   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

I have finished disc 5, episodes 19-22. Episode 20 is titled Hell Girl vs. Hell Boy. The title tells it all. This particular episode is totally out of sync with the rest of the series. I can only guess that maybe they had another writing team do the script for that one episode, or they thought they needed a little extra action. I thought it was totally unnecessary.

Anyway, the big development in disc 5 is that Shibata and his daughter Tsugumi have different opinions about Hell Girl, and it may be tearing them apart. We also learn a bit about Shibata's past. Only the plot does not advance that much. It better advance soon. There is only one disc left to the first series.
Old 27-11-2010, 10:57 PM   #6   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Disc 6 concludes the series with the final four episodes. The plot was slow to develop up to now, but in disc 6 things really start moving. We find out about Ai's past and how she became Hell Girl.

Throughout the series, I was trying to figure out how it would end. The actual conclusion is different from all the scenarios I imagined.

I will go ahead and recommend this series. I like the moodiness and the darkness. Hell Girl is an anime to see.
Old 30-11-2010, 12:12 AM   #7   [permalink]
dalmain
Executive Member

Send a message via MSN to dalmain
I only saw the first season. I liked it. It's episodic and feels repetitive at the beginning. But it was ok.
dalmain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 11:24 AM   #8   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Exclamation Hell Girl on Xfinity

For all you Comcast customers, Hell Girl can now be seen on Xfinity On-Demand. If you have this service, check the series out. I will take this opportunity to rewatch before the second series becomes available from Netflix.