Old 26-12-2011, 12:14 AM   #1   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Smile Black Blood Brothers

Black Blood Brothers has nothing to do with people of African descent. Black bloods are vampires. That’s right. This is another vampire anime.

This twelve part series is on three discs. I have just finished disc one. The first episode starts off with the vampire Jiro, aka the Silver Sword, killing off an army of sorry looking, dorky vampires. It is a sorry way to begin a series, but it does get better after episode 1. We do learn that Jiro is haunted by the loss of the love of his life, and the vampire who betrayed them both is back for more evil. The rest of the series is a flashback leading up to that point.

The flashback has Jiro and his little brother trying to get into the Special Zone, where vampires can live freely apart from humans. But they run into a few baddies, and are assisted by Mimiko, a human Compromiser who works for “the Company” as a go-between for humans and vampires.

So far it is not a great series, but it does have a storyline that is interesting enough. Plus there is a hint of eventual darkness in the narrative -- which keeps me interested.

So I will stick with the series. If you have any comments, no spoilers please!
MeMyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2011, 11:45 PM   #2   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

I just finished disc 2, episodes 5-8. The series is good enough to continue watching, but not so good that I want to spend too much time on it. So I am not rewatching with the Japanese dub and subtitles. I would like to finish the series this week.

Jiro and his little brother would like to settle down in the Special Zone, but there is a conspiracy afoot and someone keeps trying to kill the Silver Sword! Then an old enemy, Cassa is about to show up.

There is a back-story, which has yet to be fully explained. It involves Jiro’s long-lost blonde love of his life. We get little glimpses of the back-story at the beginning of each episode. But there are only four episodes left to explain what the heck is really going on. I guess this is one of the aspects of the series that keeps one interested. Eventually, we hope to get the full picture.

My final review will come when I complete the series -- hopefully later this week.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:53 PM   #3   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

It took a bit longer than I hoped to finish this series up. Netflix first sent a disc that did not play, so I had to wait for another. But I got through episode 12, so I am ready for my final review.

First, I was mistaken about the first episode. The opening scene was a flashback to part of the back story. I thought the rest of the series was a flashback. Anyway, the back story is a bit disconnected. It does make sense at the end, but I think they may have had two seperate teams of writers working on it without talking to each other.

There is a suprise twist at the end. Well, I'm not sure you can actually call it a surprise twist because they hint about it for the last half of the series. I certainly say it coming.

The animation is just fair. Outside of the main characters, the artwork is nothing to note. A bit more effort in the fight scenes with an army of vampires would have made a big difference.

Still it is a nice twist to the vampire legend. The ending does set up for a second series, only I don't think there was a second series.

Overall rating: Average.