Old 09-10-2011, 08:29 PM   #1   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Wink Birdy the Mighty: Decode

Here is a series from 2008. Birdy the Mighty: Decode is actually a remake of a three part series from the 1990’s. Only here it has been extended to 13 episodes.

Shion is a popular teenage model and actress. But in reality, she is Birdy - a super strong, half-naked officer with the Federation police tracking down intergalactic criminals. Her current assignment, involving a doomsday weapon, leads her to her undercover life on Earth. During one of her battles, she accidentally kills Tsutomu, a schoolboy. While Tsutomu’s body will be sent to Birdy’s home planet for repairs, the two of them will share Birdy’s body. Did I tell you that Birdy is half-naked? No one in the series seems to have noticed.

OK. So all this has been done before -- from two consciousnesses in one body to the gender bending. It has been done better, but it also has been done worse.

Despite Birdy’s almost absent police uniform, there have been no sexual situations in the episodes I have seen so far. As far as profanity is concerned, there are no four letter words, but there is some other PG-13 language. So maybe the young kids, anyone under 13, should be kept away from this one.

I watched the first five episodes on Netflix streaming. But they have temporarily lost the rights. They will soon have the rights restored and also get the DVD, and I will then finish the series and give a final recommendation. So far, I give it an average rating only because the silly moments are off-set by some dark moments.

Meanwhile, if anyone else wants to comment, please NO SPOILERS!
MeMyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2011, 01:59 AM   #2   [permalink]
Steathassasn
Forum Addicted

Send a message via AIM to Steathassasn
actually its more like the original creators got more funding to continue where they left off. ( ive watched both 1990's ova and the 1'st season of Decode) i love this show and would put it in the same group of shows i want to own but can't afford right now ( Rideback, Initial D 4th stage)

It gets better. the story i mean. Hopefully they will restore the rights soon so that you can enjoy the awesome story.
Old 20-11-2011, 11:31 AM   #3   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Originally Posted by Steathassasn View Post
It gets better. the story i mean. Hopefully they will restore the rights soon so that you can enjoy the awesome story.
So far, no change with Netflix.
Old 18-02-2012, 08:40 PM   #4   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

For those American readers, Netflix has Birdy the Mighty: Decode available again via streaming. I finished the first season, with a second season to follow. I tried to pick it up again where I left off, with episode 6. But I didn’t know what was going on, so I re-watched episodes 1-5.

This is an interesting anime. It starts off as if it is trying to appeal to teens. This is very much a coming-of-age story as anything else. But it gets pretty dark by the end. Lots of innocent people get killed, and we get to see it. So it has adult elements as well. Tsutomu and Birdy get to save the world, but it may mean killing the girl Tsutomu loves. It makes for an exciting ending, although it is predictable. They do tip their hand too early, and besides they have to set things up for season 2.

There is non-sexual nudity, mild profanity, and violence with little blood. So again, I do not recommend this series for anyone under 14.

I’ll get back to you after I watch season 2.
Old 26-02-2012, 09:26 PM   #5   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

I finished season 2 on Netflix streaming. There is at least a third season, but apparently Netflix does not have that. It might not be dubbed or licensed in the US as of yet.

Season 2 is a bit more darker than season 1. It also is a touch more violent and more bloody. The doomsday weapon, the Ryuku, is safely out of commission, but the group responsible for stealing it has escaped justice and is hiding on earth. Birdy and Tsutomu must track the criminals down, but just as they begin to close in on each of their quarry, someone beats them to it murdering the fugitives in quite a bloodthirsty manner. Birdy is also reunited with a childhood friend and we learn more about her troubled past. In all, Birdy and Tsutomu face greater dangers.

Everything wraps up in episode 25. Episode 26 is sort of a bonus episode which takes place earlier in the series. It is included apparently so that season 2 does have 13 episodes to it. There are also enough loose ends left over for the third season.

I think it would be interesting if Tsutomu’s true love Natsumi began remembering her time controlled by the Ryuku. Have her overcome with feelings of guilt over the many who died, while it falls to Tsutomu to protect her. But I do not think that is they direction the series is going.

I’m going to look for when season 3 is available. Often the second season of an anime is mostly a rehash of the first. That is somewhat true with Birdy the Mighty: Decode. But the second season is still better than the first.