Old 06-03-2012, 10:11 PM   #1   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Cool Ergo Proxy

The futuristic city of Romdo has a population of humans living with their robotic Auto-Reivs. But there is a monsterous creature codenamed Proxy reeking distruction and being covered up by the authorities. A security inspector named ReíI and and immigrant hoping for citizenship named Vincent both find themselves thrown into the mist of this mystery.

Ergo Proxy is an anime for adults. No, there is no sex. There is some profanity and a bit of violence. By being for adults, I mean this is aimed at an adult mentality. It has a pretty gritty look, and if you add a few facial piercings, ReíI could pass for the girl with the dragon tattoo.

I only watched the first four episodes, all of disc 1. I watched each twice, once in English and once in Japanese with subtitles. You really have to watch each episode twice.

I will report later as the series progresses, but it may be a while. I am taking my time with this one.

If you have any comments, PLEASE NO SPOILERS!
MeMyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:42 PM   #2   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

In disc 2, episodes 5-8, Vincent has already escaped Romdo with the aid of Pino, an AutoReiv made to look like a little girl. Outside he finds an entirely new world, but death continues to follow him. We also have the apparent death of a major character. And I think I know the secret of the Proxy! Most importantly, Vincent's character changes.

Ergo Proxy is a monster anime, but you donít see much of the monster. But this does not hurt the storyline. We have some very good human drama here, with a bit of bloody action. For the most part, the artists used a dull, muted, almost monotone color scheme to great effect. There are very few bright colors. This really sets the mood of the series.

Next, I start disc 3.
Old 20-03-2012, 11:33 PM   #3   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Disc 3, episodes 9-12, contains two plot twists. Well, I donít know if you can really call them twists since they are rather predictable. This includes Vincent discovering a forgotten secret. But although these plot twists are predictable, it does not really get in the way of my enjoying the story. There is still plenty of mystery to follow. Things do get a bit cerebral in disc 3, but if that is a turn-off for you there is still quite a bit of action.

So far, so good.
Old 26-03-2012, 09:34 PM   #4   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

I have finished disc 4, episodes 13-16. Ergo Proxy continues to be a dark cerebral monster anime, with only a few glimpses of the proxy. The episodes are dark except for episode 15, in which Vincent is a contestant on a game show competing for prizes and his life. I canít figure out if this episode is just a filler or if it actually belongs in the narrative. There do seem to be a few clues in that episode, but it all seems forgotten in episode 16.

Episode 16 is interesting in is non-use of background music. It really enhances the feeling of loneliness and abandonment when a lack of wind leaves our heroes and their land ship stranded.

I guess I will figure that one out by the time I finish the series. I have two discs to go.
Old 31-03-2012, 10:16 PM   #5   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

I completed disc 5, which brings me through episode 20. It is difficult to really talk about the series since there are so many little spoilers in each episode. I will say that while the two major plot twists to date were predictable, there are enough little things in each episode to really keep you guessing. Episode 20 was really a mind f---!

Anyway, Raul, the security chief, makes his move. He is the nemesis of Vincent and Re-l, and they don't even know it. Vincent reaches the end of his journey, only to discover. . . . Watch if you want to find out!

One disc and three episodes to go before I give my final review.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:15 PM   #6   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

I finished up the series. There is a bonus disc of extras I haven't seen, but the series is over. With the world coming to an end, there is betrayal, discovered truths, answers and the beginning of a new adventure we really won't know about.

My final word is that this is a thinking person's action anime. I recommend it. Despite a few predictable plot twists early on, it does keep you guessing.

Thumbs up!