Old 01-05-2012, 11:10 PM   #1   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Wink Devil May Cry

So I just started this anime. I’ve watched disc 1, episodes 1-4. So far, OK.

Dante is a devil hunter, one of several in the city. But he’s one of the best, if not the best. He also is broke most of the time, and he has a young girl named Patty he’s looking after. So far, that’s really it. The first four episodes really only serve to introduce characters to us – and to display a bit of blood and violence.

Oddly there is a problem with the soundtrack, or is it on purpose? Much of the dialog is muted so you can’t hear it. This is more so in the English dub. At least in the Japanese you can read the subtitles. So starting with episode 3, I am watching the Japanese dub only.

The only other downside is that instead of characters, we get clichés. So much of this has been done before. But I am sticking with the series for now. It does have some entertaining moments.

More later as I go continue watching. Meanwhile if you comment, please no spoilers.
MeMyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 12:16 AM   #2   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

I just completed disc 2, episodes 5-8. There is one disc to go, and so far there is only a hint of a continuous storyline. Some minor character, a real sleaze, is planning something involving Dante. Hopefully the writers realize that with too many hints eventually a viewer will lose interest.

There really is not much here to grab my full attention. However the action scenes are very well done. With only one more disc, I might as well finish the series. Who knows? The final four episodes of Devil May Cry could be worth the wait.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:55 PM   #3   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

I finished Devil May Cry -- and not a moment too soon. The series wrap up was beginning to bore me. The ending was so stereotypical. Pity it took 10 episodes of a 12 episode series to finally get to the main story.

I guess I should have been warned by the fact the series was based on a video game.

But on the plus side, the action sequences are well done. However, they do overdo the blood.

In all, I barely give Devil May Cry an average rating. Watch at your own risk.
Old 15-05-2012, 11:16 AM   #4   [permalink]
jackal
Forum Master

Yes it was a big let down, being a huge fan of the franchise myself and there were too many made up elements that hampered it rather than help it. When they make a DMC show I at least expect it to be something like the games (mood, atmosphere, similar style of plots). But it was just a generic devil hunter kind of anime. Waste of a good character.

The last two eps were good but that should have been every 4 or 5 episodes that had something major like that all tied in leading to the last showdown.

Don't know if you've played the games but DMC 3 has a pretty good and somewhat involving story with the key characters and also really cool over the top cut scenes.
jackal is offline   Reply With Quote