Old 23-07-2012, 10:54 PM   #1   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Red face Vampire Knight

A little girl named Yuki is attacked by a killer vampire. Her life is saved by the aristocratic vampire Kaname. Ten years later, they are both students at the Cross Academy. Kaname is the leader of the night students, all vampires. The day students are all human. Yuki, now adopted by the headmaster, and fellow day student Zero act as guardians keeping the two groups of students separate. But Zero has his own secret, which the series does not even try to hide. When the secret comes out, it looks like we may have a bit of a triangle on our hands as Yuki is torn between her love for Kaname and loyalty to Zero.

I finished disc 1, episodes 1-4. The first two episodes left me mildly interested. There seems to be a story in there someplace. Indeed, it does get interesting in episode 4. Still this story can go either way. Is this just another in a long line of vampire animes, or is it something unique.

I watched each episode in both English and Japanese with English subtitles. There is only one set of subtitles, instead of two. Most animes have full subtitles for dialog and another set of subtitles only translating Japanese writing. Vampire Knight only has the full subtitles, but even that does not translate all Japanese script. I may only watch the rest of the series in Japanese with subtitles. I havenít decided yet.

I will keep watching Vampire Knight for now. More later as I see more of the series. If you comment, no spoilers please!
MeMyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2012, 09:57 PM   #2   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

OK, so now I am committed to finishing the series. I just finished disc 2, episodes 5-8. Every vampire would love a taste of sweet Yuki's blood, only poor Kaname may miss out. Anyway, the triangle tightens as we get a bit of the backstory here.

I want to say a few words about the artwork and animation. I rate it on the high side of average. There is nothing really unique or groundbreaking here, but it is effective and subtlety serves the storyline and characters.

More later.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:15 PM   #3   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

I finished the final disc of the series, and it is an interesting finish. First of all, the villainess of the series finally makes her appearance. Sheís the vampire who murdered Zeroís family, and she allow Yuki to save Zero by either murdering Kaname or by allowing herself to be turned into a vampire. Meanwhile, Kaname is staying pretty much out of the action waiting for what he wants.

The last episode really does not go over too well. There is a lot of redundancy passing for conversation. It is almost like they are killing time until the end when they hit the finale. But there really isnít a finale. The series just sort of ends with a lead-in to the second series, Vampire Knight Guilty. Iíll get to that one eventually, but there is another series I started which I would like to finish first.

In all, it is still a good story. There is enough suspense to lead you from one episode to another. One problem is that Yuki is the only interestingly complex character in the series. The rest are pretty one-dimensional.

Vampire Knight is an enjoyable anime. But there are a few better vampire animes out there.