Old 10-09-2012, 11:37 PM   #1   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Smile Vampire Knight Guilty

Here it is! The follow-up series to Vampire Knight! Only the plot gets a bit darker and more complicated. The Yuri-Kaname-Zero triangle is getting a bit more tense. Zero is targeted when he is falsely accused of killing a “pureblood” back in series 1. Kaname is playing his own game. And will Yuri decide to become a vampire herself? And can she handle the anxiety when her memories start to return?

There is also an unknown menace threatening Cross Academy. We don’t know who or what it is, but it is coming. Then there is Senri, another vampire and student at Cross Academy, who has his own problems which could threaten his little world.

In my review of the first series, I said only Yuki’s character was well defined. That has changed for the better.

As with the first series, Vampire Knight Guilty is about 12 episodes on three discs. I just finished disc 1, episodes 1-4. So far the follow-up is better than the original. Obviously I will be sticking with this one.

Any comments? If so, please no spoilers!
MeMyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:58 PM   #2   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

I just finished the next four episodes on disc 2. As Kaname and Zero both are visited by old enemies, Yuri's memory begins to return. And at the halfway point, an unexpected plot twist is thrown our way!

But what I want to get into here is something I have not yet mentioned -- the sexuality of the series. The feeding of vampires on blood is clearly a series metaphor for sex. In Yuri's case, she want to give her body to the man she loves. But circumstances bring her to giver herself to another. Although with the aforementioned plot twist, that focus may change. The tension is certainly there deepening the Kaname/Zero rivalry. But I kind of get the feeling Kaname is not at heart hostile to Zero. There is a sort of bond since series 1. But to tell details will get into spoiler territory. Watch the series if you want to see what I am talking about.
Old 18-09-2012, 10:40 PM   #3   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

I finished the final five episodes on the last disc. All the way, I could see this heading for a happy or a tragic ending. Things are actually left slightly unresolved at the end. The story is not over, but the series is. Kaname's plans come together, but how will this leave Yuri and Zero?

If you like lots of action, you may be a bit disappointed. There is more talk than action in the finale, but there are a lot of issues to resolve and there are the various complex plots to pull together. Still the final battle falls a bit below the standard for anime final battles.

But if the secret of success is leaving the audience wanting more, I do want more. I want to see what happens next. I want to know Yuki's final fate. Things are set up for another series, but I don't know if there will be one. Anyone else know?

I will recommend Vampire Knight Guilty. But first watch Vampire Knight.