Old 09-08-2012, 11:30 PM   #1   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Talking El Cazador de la Bruja

I donít know what El Cazador de la Bruja means. All I know is that it is Spanish and most of the series takes place in Mexico.

Ellis is an outwardly innocent girl, about 13 or 14, who is on the run after being suspected of killing a certain scientist. A bounty is put on her head, dead or alive, and she is soon pursued by an army of bounty hunters who would just as soon take her in dead.

But there is one exception. Nadie is a female bounty hunter who wants Ellis alive. They come to an agreement that Nadie would accompany Ellis on her quest to reach the south if Ellis would agree to allow Nadie to take her into custody once their journey is complete. Ellis, by the way, is not quite human it seems. She does have powers.

This is sort of a buddy story. Nadie and Ellis become close as they hit the road. At first I thought it would be a series on the same theme as Noir. But El Cazador de la Bruja is quite different. It isn't that dark. There is comedy and action, and a subplot about a power struggle in a corporation which involves Ellis.

I finished disc 1, which is the first seven episodes. There are three discs to go. So far it is interesting, not only with Nadie and Ellis, but various others who are following them down. Each episode is its own little story, with just enough of a common thread to continue the main narrative.

I am watching each episode in English and Japanese with English subtitles. There are subtle differences between the two. This will make it longer for me to finish the series, but it is worth it. By the way, I do not recommend the series for kids under, let's say about 12.

So if anyone can translate El Cazador de la Bruja, let me know what it means. But please, post no spoilers!
MeMyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2012, 11:47 PM   #2   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

I finished disc 2, episodes 8-13. That, I believe, wraps up the first season. I started watching episodes only once, in Japanese with the sub-titles. Once because it is a long series, and I like the Japanese dub better.

I find it interesting that for most of the series each episode is an independent story unto itself, with the continuous storyline continuing to develop in the background. Only in episodes 12 and 13 does the main storyline come to the front. By this time, this action comedy is starting to get more dramatic, even with a bit of tragedy put in. More and more people are starting to follow Nadie and Ellis, many without their knowledge, either trying to protect them or kill them.

And what of the relationship of Nadie and Ellis? There is a close bond between them, but as episode 13 ends, after Ellis learns who she is, there is also a hint of separation. So the second season is set up. I will get to that next.

The creators of the series do take an interesting route to story development.
Old 22-08-2012, 11:22 PM   #3   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

And now I have finished disc 3, episodes 14-20. The episodes now following the continuous storyline, and we get a bit of the back story. Keep an eye on LA, a young boy who is supposed to be keeping an eye on Ellis. He has fallen in love with her, but now is going well off the deep end.

What is really interesting is how the main heroine, Nadie, has not yet come face-to-face with the main villain, a bureaucratic flunky named Rosenberg who seems to control quite a bit of the behind the scenes action. This is a bit like Eureka 7, where the hero, Renton, never meets the villian, Dewey I think his name was. El Cazador de la Bruja is taking the same course. If this qualifies as plagiarism, I can forgive it since they do it so well.

Next my final review.
Old 29-08-2012, 11:24 PM   #4   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

I looked it up! El Cazador de la Bruja means The Hunter of the Witch.

Anyway, I have now finished the series. Nadie and Ellis come face to face with Rosenberg. Is the only way they have of stopping him sacrificing their own lives?

Unfortunately for the rest of the series, the ending is a bit contrived with an all too overused plot device. I won't go into details. The final episode has a "to be continued" type ending, even though you know the series has ended. That is all I will say.

The series also leaves the number one question unanswered -- Who is that masked man with Nadie and Ellis in the closing credits?

I did find most of El Cazador de la Bruja entertaining. I will recommend it. It does not have the high level of bloody violence you may expect. There is non-sexual nudity and mild profanity. It's OK for 12 and older, including adults.
Old 29-10-2012, 02:14 PM   #5   [permalink]
dalmain
Executive Member

Send a message via MSN to dalmain
I like to compare the three girls with guns series. Noir, Madlax, and this one. I really liked Nadie. She's probably my favorite girl of all of these series. This series was less action packed than the two previous shows, more character centered. It just didn't draw me in like Noir and Madlax. Even the music was not as good. Not a bad series, but it was kind of dull.
dalmain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2012, 10:27 AM   #6   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Noir was a lot darker than El Cazador de la Bruja. What I did not like about Noir was the ending. The relatively happy ending did not only not fit the rest of the series, but worked against it. Having the two main characters pay for their crimes would have brought it full circle, brought closure, and would have made the story more complete. I'm thinking something along the lines of Kite or Phantom.

The upbeat ending for El Cazador de la Bruja was, however, totally in sync with the rest of the series. It did bring everything full circle.

Last edited by MeMyself; 30-10-2012 at 10:31 AM.