Old 14-10-2012, 11:53 PM   #1   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Red face Claymore

Here is a series that is considered a classic by some – based on what I have read others say about it. Also, I have seen postings on this site where others have talked about it before. I am just now getting around to watching Claymore. I am having trouble finding the time to watch it with the baseball playoffs on. So I am only watching the English dubs.

A Claymore is half-woman and half-yoma. They are trained to kill full yomas who eat people. Claire is a Claymore who manages to hook up with a rather wimpy kid named Rocky. At least in the English dub he is called Rocky. Sorry, no Bullwinkle. Rocky does serve a use, however. He keeps Claire in touch with her human side.

I only have watched the first five episodes on disc 1. So far, it seems that beyond all the violence, this is a show about humanity. Will Claire keep hers’ or become a monster. Notable, the series does not wait long to start giving us the backstory.

More to come. I know many of you have already seen Claymore. While I would like your comments, please no spoilers!
MeMyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 10:33 PM   #2   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

I completed disc 2, episodes 6-10, and learned more about the tragedy that is the Claymores. Most of disc 2 concerns itself with the back story of how Claire became a Claymore.

And here let me interject a few words about character development. A lot of effort went into developing different characters with their different personalities and quirks. It would be too easy not to bother with individual personalities for characters who are only in two or three episodes. But the creators of Claymore do not seem to be doing too much that is easy. The characterizations are great and the individuality is quite convincing without going over-board. This may be the show's greatest asset.
Old 23-10-2012, 04:21 AM   #3   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

Send a message via ICQ to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via AIM to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via Yahoo to Pengi_Ken-Ohki
Sadly it really drops off once it diverges from the manga.
Pengi_Ken-Ohki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 12:07 AM   #4   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

When I get to that point, maybe you can tell me when it diverges from the manga. Meanwhile, I completed disc 3 and for me the series is becoming more interesting. There is a lot of deadly politics being played out within the organization, and Claire is in the middle of it. Also, despite their powers, Claymores are not above being sliced and diced -- sometimes by other Claymores.

In a way, this series reminds me a bit of Gunslinger Girl. As with the girls in GG, the Claymores are blessed with powers and abilities beyond human. But they are all doomed. Eventually they will turn into the monsters they fight and death is the only escape. Similarly in Gunslinger Girl, the girls know they will have short lifespans. This makes for a dark and rather depressing series -- but depressing in a good way.
Old 29-10-2012, 12:09 AM   #5   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Wrapping up disc 4, Claire and Rocky become separated. (I think he's off fighting Apollo Creed. Actually, in the Japanese his name is Ruki.) Claire forms a few alliances and gains some enemies while finding herself over her head in battle.

Listening to an earlier commentary on one of the episodes, it was pointed out that the color scheme is intentionally drab -- except for the blood. Actually there is a mixture between the drab and the brightly colored. There are some brilliant shades of orange here and there. All this is, of course, to set the mood. But it sets it so subtly you hardly notice. I didn't notice until it was pointed out in the commentary. But closer study requires a second viewing. Right now I am satisfied in letting my sub-conscience do the work.
Old 29-10-2012, 02:08 PM   #6   [permalink]
dalmain
Executive Member

Send a message via MSN to dalmain
I really liked this series, but it did falter towards the end. I hope there will be a second season.
dalmain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 11:22 PM   #7   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

I just finished disc 5, and the series had not faltered for me yet. The Organization seems to be turning on its Claymores putting them in a no win situation. Meanwhile, Priscilla, a Claymore turned murderous Awakened Being, reappears -- only she is not what you expect.

The action scenes are pretty good. They may not be the best I have ever seen, but they server an ever more complex plot. I also like the way the story develops, breaking into several parts and then beginning to come back together.

One more disc to go, and I will give my final review.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:26 PM   #8   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

So now I have finished the entire series. I can't say I was disappointed in the ending. It was actually a pretty good ending, although conventional for this type of anime. The way that Priscilla reenters the story, I was expecting something really out of the ordinary. But that was not the way they were going. There is a nice unexpected change in the color scheme for the final scene.

Still the ending fight sequences were well worth watching. There is a bit of a moral at the end to top off what is an entertaining series, so I do recommend it. However with the violence, profanity (at least in the English dub), and sexuality, this is not one for the children.