Old 20-01-2013, 09:31 PM   #1   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Cool Supernatural: The Anime Series

Note that I had to add "The Anime Series" to the title. This is an anime version of a live action American TV show, which I never heard of before so never watched. For that reason, I had some doubts about watching this one.

Well, doubts have been satisfied. I finished the first of three discs, episodes 1-8, and it is a pretty good series. At least the stories are interesting. Some are taken from the original Supernatural series. Some are totally original. Some are from the original series, but with a few changes. Some have unexpected plot twists.

Sam and Dean Winchester travel throughout the US hunting down monsters and demons, as well as looking for their missing father. While solving everyone else's problems, they have a few issues and secrets of their own to work out. (Like where do they get the money to pay for all this traveling around?)

On the DVD, the two leads from the live action series introduce each episode. Supernatural contains no profanity (in the English dub), sex or nudity so far, but there have been some pretty bloody and violent scenes which makes this anime certainly not for children. This one is aimed for adults.

More later. Meanwhile, no spoilers if you have already seen this series.
MeMyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2013, 11:42 PM   #2   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Things get pretty busy with disc 2, episodes 9-16. Dean is made a fool by a god of misfortune, in one of the more comic episodes. There is also tragedy. Sam and Dean are reunited with their father, and come face to face with the yellow-eyed demon who killed their mother, Sam's girlfriend, and a few others. Towards episode 16, things get pretty dark.

It is interesting to watch how the series uses the color scheme in its artwork. It constantly changes from bright colors to dim, colorless shades, to bright hues. It is all done to effect the mood of the scenes, and can vary many times within the same episode. The characters are drawn quite well, although the overall animation is average. But what really makes this series work are the storylines and the way they are crafted.

I have one more disc with the last seven episodes to go, and I am eager to start. I have no idea how this will end!
Old 28-01-2013, 09:15 PM   #3   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Disc 3 has the last six episodes of the series, or at least the first season. I don't know if there is a second. But the final two-parter is one of the most exciting endings to an anime series I have ever seen. There are unexpected twists and turns almost with every scene, until the finale with the yellow-eyed demon.

Artistically, Supernatural is slightly above average. The animation is not extraordinary, but the characters are drawn well. Plus as I said before, they do some clever things with the color scheme.

I will recommend Supernatural. It is a series which will keep you guessing, and with its strong characterizations, you will be drawn in.