Old 03-06-2007, 11:55 PM   #1   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Thumbs up Tokyo Godfathers

I missed this movie when it was in the theaters. I watched the DVD this weekend. This really is a wonderful film, although I would not recommend it for small children. The story is about three homeless bums, a drunk, a drag queen and a runaway teen, who find an abandoned baby, and set out to find its mother. This is really a heartwarming tale which I fully recommend.
MeMyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 08:53 AM   #2   [permalink]
mrgazpacho
Forum Master

So, a good Christmas story then?
Old 05-06-2007, 05:40 PM   #3   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Its a good story-- period. Although I would not say its something for the whole family. Again, I would not let small children watch it. There are drag queens in it. (Mommy, why is that man wearing a dress?) There's not too much violence, but there is one attempted gangland murder. So watch this after the kids go to bed. Plus the whole child abandoment thing may give some kids nightmares.

BTW, the filmmakers seem to get confused over the drag queen. There is a difference between transvestites and homosexuals.
Old 10-06-2007, 05:17 PM   #4   [permalink]
EVA fiend
Forum Master

I got this DVD for Chrimbo from my mother-in-law (she saw it on my Amazon wish list). It has beautiful animation, great characters, & an excellent storyline & direction by the ever-versatile Satoshi Kon (of Perfect Blue & Paranoia Agent fame). This movie made me laugh out loud & want to cry in equal measure. It's very cleverly written, & a must-see for all fans of character-driven anime IMO. Simply brilliant.

Originally Posted by MeMyself
BTW, the filmmakers seem to get confused over the drag queen. There is a difference between transvestites and homosexuals.
That's probably more down to the translators than the film maker.

"Touch not the pussy without a glove" - McPhearson clan motto ala IAL :P
EVA fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2007, 04:39 PM   #5   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Maybe. But most people don't know the difference between tranvestites and homosexuals, so it would not surprise me that the filmmakers don't know either.

Transvestites get their kicks by dressing in the clothes of the opposite sex. But most are not gay. They prefer partners of the opposite sex.