Old 20-09-2005, 08:30 AM   #33   [permalink]
dheu
Forum Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to dheu
Those are anime, not manga.
Old 07-06-2006, 01:09 AM   #34   [permalink]
Voltaire

Jesus this forum is DEAD...

I think some people best take a look at some of these lists and check them out, theres actually a world oustide your shiny anime and its called manga...

anyhow, heres my list

1. Berserk -
I hate to list it number but it deserves it, its one of those stories that shakespear couldnt have written better, and it just keeps going... horrifying one moment, then heartfelt and comical the next, plus the art is top notch, even if it looks dry and ugly at first glance stick with it you will grow to appreciate the hell out of it.

2. One Piece -
This is the book that got me into manga, and I still read it 5 years later, just thinking about Onepiece brings a smile to my face, and what more could you ask for about a story about ridiculous pirates in hillarious situations. Whats suprising is how serious and tragic this manga can get at times... Some of my all time favorite characters of any genre are in this book.

3. Deathnote - I think i might be partial to this right now because i just finished the series up yesterday, However its one of those stories where you are aware of whats happening but cant believe whats going on. you cant help but thinking how the hell is he gonna get himself out of this one like everyother word balloon. Definitely a thinking mans manga, and its no slouch in the word count either, Definietly the best STORY out of all the manga Ive read.

4. Blade of the Immortal - man if this isnt the best drawn book out there I would love to see what rivals it. for action theres nothing like it, I love the look and attitude of the characters I feel like ive met half of them...

5. Blame! - This manga is unique among its peers, and with manga about rubber pirates and immortal samurai thats saying something... Im on volume 4 and i still have no idea whats going on but im looving every moment of it,.. I love seeing pages and pages with no dialogue, letting the art tell its own story is amazing.

------------- ya screw listing ten these are the only ones i think are worth mentioning anyhow.

Last edited by Voltaire; 07-06-2006 at 01:11 AM.
Voltaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 10:45 AM   #35   [permalink]
iPooted

Yeah, this forum is really dead.
1. Fushigi Yuugi, without a doubt.
2. Ayashi No Ceres.
3. Hot Gimmick.
4. Absolute Boyfriend.
5. Tokyo Boys & Girls.
6. Get Backers.
7. GTO.
8. Maybe Fruits Basket?
Old 08-04-2007, 03:26 PM   #36   [permalink]
Mecha454
Forum Junkie

Send a message via AIM to Mecha454
Absolute Boyfriend!!! I love that one! *not*

-Sosuke Sagara

"We have begun third impact!"

My very own nOOB= Kaneda
Mecha454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2009, 08:52 PM   #37   [permalink]
ShimonTheDrill

Send a message via AIM to ShimonTheDrill Send a message via MSN to ShimonTheDrill
1-Trigun
2-Tengen toppa gurren lagann
3-bitter virgin
4-suzuka
5-ichigo 100%
6-d gray man
7-pretty face
8-jack frost
9-zettai kareshi(idk how to spell)
10-7th period is a secret
ShimonTheDrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2009, 08:53 PM   #38   [permalink]
ShimonTheDrill

Send a message via AIM to ShimonTheDrill Send a message via MSN to ShimonTheDrill
[QUOTE=ShimonTheDrill;537852803]1-Trigun
2-Tengen toppa gurren lagann
3-bitter virgin
4-suzuka
5-ichigo 100%
6-d gray man
7-pretty face
8-jack frost
9-zettai kareshi(idk how to spell) or absolute boyfriend in english... i think... yeah thats right
10-7th period is a secret
ShimonTheDrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2009, 07:21 PM   #39   [permalink]
OtakuMan

You gotta be kidding me...

While searching for a Japanese Poll on what the Top 100 Manga are (I had already found one for Anime), I stumbled across this and just thought...

...WOW!

There are manga that are on Japan's list that are nowhere to be SEEN on this list.

While I can agree on some entries, I just had to give me two cents here because I could not pass this by. Here are my Top 10 manga (for now). I may not have read all of them, and some I have only read parts of, but I'm sticking to this.

First, in no particular order:

Dragon Ball - I'm SHOCKED more people haven't put this here. This IS Akira Toriyama's masterpiece, and has even merited an HD, re-cut (and somewhat edited!?) re-release on Japanese Saturday morning TV as Dragon Ball Kai (Dragon Ball Z). I say Dragon Ball because whether it be Kid Goku or Adult Goku, it's still the same series. Just as if it were Naruto Part 1 or 2. Same series, different time periods. The comedy, action, and sheer epic scale of it makes this a MUST on any list.

Hakaba Kitaro / Ge Ge Ge No Kitaro - While this manga and long running anime has never seen the light of day in the English speaking world, save for a DVD release of the live-action movie that aired in Japan in 2007, it more than deserves a spot here. Kitaro and his spooky friends are so well revered in Japan, that many of them have Bronze statues built along the creator, Shigeru Mizuki's, street that he grew up on. Not only are these 60+ statues an immortal memory to the series and its creator, they are also worshipped as Shintou deities. It's THAT good!

Tetsuwan Atom (Astro Boy) - NOBODY?! REALLY?! By far "God of Manga" Osamu Tezuka's most well known work (with Black Jack at a close second). Astro Boy was the first manga to anime translation that made the "big eyes, small mouth" look carry into the anime and manga we know today. If not for series such as this, we would not have anime and manga as we know it today. It'd probably look more like Sazae-san. (Not that there's anything wrong with Sazae-san and it's characters, but Osamu Tezuka is "God of Manga" for a reason)

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure - It was either this or Fist of the North Star. While Fist of the North Star did come first and is equally as manly and awesome, I'm giving the spot to Jojo for a few reasons. First, Jotarou Kujou was at one time regarded by CLAMP as the most awesome character in manga EVER! He even makes a cameo at the end of the CLAMP music video called "CLAMP in Wonderland". Also, anything with coffee flavored chewing dogs named Iggy, and characters that are almost all named after Rock Gods (Except for Vanilla Ice... that was a "say wha?"), this series takes the cake. Now I need to catch up on the OTHER parts!

Kochira Katsushikaku Kameari Kouenmae Hashutsujo [Kochi Kame] - This deserves a mention because it is SO DAMN LONG! This manga started in the 1970's and is STILL GOING! If memory serves me right, this manga holds the record for being the longest consecutive manga series in print with several HUNDREDS (plural) of volumes. It's also amazing that this series didn't get any sort of anime treatment until late in the 1990's, if memory serves me right. It's like the manga equivalent of the Simpsons, it just keeps going!

Lupin Sansei (Lupin the 3rd) - While created at around the same time as Osamu Tezuka's career was taking off, there's one thing about the Lupin manga that really sets it apart. While Tezuka's style was based more on the cartoon stylings of Disney and the like, Lupin's was inspired by MAD magazine! The lanky characters, curvy dames, and hilarious story plots make for an absolute thrill. And the recent TV special crossover with Detective Conan was awesome!

Oishinbo - A long running series about food. This manga is finally getting an English release thanks to Viz, and is absolutely delicious. A food critic who is asked by his newspaper chief to create an "Ultimate Menu", he searches for the best of ALL foods in Japan. Whatever the nationality, style, or whatever, he is able to identify the best and prove that it is. READ IT!

Crayon Shin-chan - A Japanese cultural phenomenon that is laugh your butt off funny. Shinnosuke Nohara's child-like not so innocent view of the world is hysterical. I LOVE this series. As far as manga for stupid laughs goes, this is it for me.

Hadashi no Gen (Barefoot Gen) - Best World War II manga in my opinion. Tragic, heart-wrenching, and written by a man who survived the A-Bomb. It's been translated into English, but finding copies are hard to come by because it is not published by many of the well known manga publishers in the USA. Find it and read it!

Sazae-san - THIS is my Shojo entry. Sazae-san is a simple story about a simple woman living the simple life. The manga originally started RIGHT after World War II, and was published in Japanese newspapers as a single 4-panel manga strip. It chronicled the daily life of Sazae-san, a young girl growing up during the American occupation of Japan. The series ran well into the 50's, 60's, and 70's and followed Sazae-san as she fell in love, got married, had kids, and took care of her folks as they grew older. The series about Sazae-san and her family always had a smile on its face, and ended with the simplest of things. Sazae-san is making breakfast for her husband before he goes to work, and upon cracking an egg, two yolks fall out. She smiles and feels good at such a small, happy blessing. The TV anime still has new episodes that air in Japan and has been on for DECADES! This deserves a spot.

So those are my picks, now to assign them values. In order:

1. Sazae-san
2. Tetsuwan Atom (Astro Boy)
3. Hakaba Kitaro / Ge Ge Ge No Kitaro
4. Hadashi no Gen (Barefoot Gen)
5. Lupin Sansei (Lupin the 3rd)
6. Dragon Ball
7. Kochira Katsushikaku Kameari Kouenmae Hashutsujo [Kochi Kame]
8. Oishinbo
9. Crayon Shin-chan
10. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure

And now, an ending theme song. Guess the anime, and win a virtual cookie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DsPj4-dlSQ

~Otaku-Man
OtakuMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2009, 11:10 PM   #40   [permalink]
Seifer_fan

i have to agree with OtakuMan
Old 20-05-2009, 02:09 AM   #41   [permalink]
OtakuMan

Originally Posted by Seifer_fan View Post
i have to agree with OtakuMan
Why thank you!

Also, in that other thread, if I sound a bit condescending, I don't mean to. I just find it weird that you hadn't heard that word before.

More like astonished actually.

But maybe I can help you see the meaning of it.

~Otaku-Man
OtakuMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2009, 02:04 PM   #42   [permalink]
Seifer_fan

mmmmm......OK!
Old 10-02-2013, 11:48 PM   #43   [permalink]
EcidDice

1: Project ARMS - Complete
2: Akumetsu - Complete
3: Psyren - Complete
4: The Breaker - Complete
5: DragonBall - Complete
6: Ga-Rei - Complete
7: Wolf Guy - Complete
8: The Breaker: New Waves - NC 103 - Ongoing
9: AIKI - NC 96 - Ongoing
10: Sun-Ken Rock - NC 116 - Ongoing

I'm posting one more for a total of 11, Unless you look at New Waves differently...
11: Fairy Tail - NC 319 - Ongoing

The Big 3 will always sit on the favorite or Hate lists.
Bleach - One Piece - Naruto
EcidDice is offline   Reply With Quote