Old 29-01-2009, 06:47 AM   #1   [permalink]
oppa
Forum Junkie

Is there a pattern or reason for the manga you love?

Hmm... neither "pattern" nor "reason" is perfectly suitable for what I'm curious about but hell, given that this forum is so dead, anyone actually venturing here would be compelled to click this link regardless of what gibberish I used in the title, right?

Moving along...

I've been into manga for over a decade now and at any given moment during that time, when asked about my top [insert number here] manga, I'd rattle off a list different than all the one's prior to it. Most of what I'm currently into will not have the sustaining power to remain on any future top list I arbitrarily create.

Now on to the actual point of this thread...

My current all-time favorite manga are, in no particular order but alphabetical except for Yotsubato! cuz that is, hands down, the bestest manga evar:

Yotsubato!
Aishiteruze Baby
Family Complex
Fruits Basket
Goth
Lucu Lucu
Mushishi
Nagasarete Airantou
One Piece
Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou

Now this list may not be complete as I'm working from my poor memory and sleepy-eyed glances at my manga list but all those listed here will forever remain on this list. It may be incomplete because I'm missing a title or few that deserve to be on it.

OK, so I haven't actually gotten to the point of the thread yet. For reals, here it is... notice a pattern? Similarities? Anything at all? The only thing is that most of them contain humor...

I'm curious as to what any of ya'll think about your own all-time favorites. For those that have been reading manga for a long while and have tasted countless manga, how does your list look? Over time, can you clearly say that, though you have read all sorts of genres, you always end up enjoying certain one's the most? Or is your list as chaotic as mine?

If I added series' that weren't quite favorites but I still enjoyed quite thoroughly, my list would be even more chaotic.

Or is it just me and my list isn't all that crazy; I just can't see the obvious common element(s) among them.

Ah well, or maybe I just needed a reason to post here once again. Of course, this thought isn't completely random. I have again been engrossed in manga, and manga only, for the past half year after going a year or two of completely neglecting all manga... except for Yotsubato! cuz, once again, it's the bestest manga evar.

So naturally, I have to post here.

For those that have traversed this far into my post, what say you? If my thoughts seem incoherent, then simply respond with whatever you think I'm trying to start up. Hell, I'll even embrace a "first" post.
Old 27-05-2009, 11:20 PM   #2   [permalink]
dheu
Forum Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to dheu
Some of the manga I love the most:

From Far Away
Blank Slate
Kieli
Land of the Blindfolded
Pet Shop of Horrors
Beauty is the Beast
Mars (no umlauts)
Penguin Revolution
After School Nightmare
V.B. Rose
Sand Chronicles
Hands Off!
Watashi-tachi no Shiawase na Jikan
My Girl
The Demon Ororon

You know, with all the manga I read, I'd never really just sat down and thought about why some series instantly grab my attention while others I'll stop reading after only a volume or two. Or at least, not until I saw this post.

I guess what my trend is and what I really look for in a manga series are strong characters. In all of those series I've listed, there are interesting and truly complex characters that develop throughout the manga... or at least, characters that have layers to be revealed. The one thing that will turn me off a series immediately is a main character that is dull and cliched, one that is just a 2D plot device. I like my characters to live and breathe almost like real people, and when they're used merely to further a plot line without any other purpose to them, they definitely don't feel real to me.

The series I'm most impressed by are the ones that feel like the mangaka thought about every detail of the characters' lives. An example is My Girl. I haven't even finished the series yet, and already I've been blown away by how truly real the characters feel, and how even the side characters have a life of their own.

Also, lol, I'm a sucker for angst and for moving, poignant stories that will stay with you for a long, long time. That's why a manga like The Demon Ororon, with its heinous crime of an ending, is still one of the manga series I would never consider selling. That is one damn angsty, painful story if ever I've read one. I guess that kind of makes me a masochist, doesn't it......
Old 27-05-2009, 11:26 PM   #3   [permalink]
Seifer_fan

holy crap, you guys must type a lot!
Quote:
Some of the manga I love the most:

From Far Away
Blank Slate
Kieli
Land of the Blindfolded
Pet Shop of Horrors
Beauty is the Beast
Mars (no umlauts)
Penguin Revolution
After School Nightmare
V.B. Rose
Sand Chronicles
Hands Off!
Watashi-tachi no Shiawase na Jikan
My Girl
The Demon Ororon

You know, with all the manga I read, I'd never really just sat down and thought about why some series instantly grab my attention while others I'll stop reading after only a volume or two. Or at least, not until I saw this post.

I guess what my trend is and what I really look for in a manga series are strong characters. In all of those series I've listed, there are interesting and truly complex characters that develop throughout the manga... or at least, characters that have layers to be revealed. The one thing that will turn me off a series immediately is a main character that is dull and cliched, one that is just a 2D plot device. I like my characters to live and breathe almost like real people, and when they're used merely to further a plot line without any other purpose to them, they definitely don't feel real to me.

The series I'm most impressed by are the ones that feel like the mangaka thought about every detail of the characters' lives. An example is My Girl. I haven't even finished the series yet, and already I've been blown away by how truly real the characters feel, and how even the side characters have a life of their own.

Also, lol, I'm a sucker for angst and for moving, poignant stories that will stay with you for a long, long time. That's why a manga like The Demon Ororon, with its heinous crime of an ending, is still one of the manga series I would never consider selling. That is one damn angsty, painful story if ever I've read one. I guess that kind of makes me a masochist, doesn't it...... ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hmm... neither "pattern" nor "reason" is perfectly suitable for what I'm curious about but hell, given that this forum is so dead, anyone actually venturing here would be compelled to click this link regardless of what gibberish I used in the title, right?

Moving along...

I've been into manga for over a decade now and at any given moment during that time, when asked about my top [insert number here] manga, I'd rattle off a list different than all the one's prior to it. Most of what I'm currently into will not have the sustaining power to remain on any future top list I arbitrarily create.

Now on to the actual point of this thread...

My current all-time favorite manga are, in no particular order but alphabetical except for Yotsubato! cuz that is, hands down, the bestest manga evar:

Yotsubato!
Aishiteruze Baby
Family Complex
Fruits Basket
Goth
Lucu Lucu
Mushishi
Nagasarete Airantou
One Piece
Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou

Now this list may not be complete as I'm working from my poor memory and sleepy-eyed glances at my manga list but all those listed here will forever remain on this list. It may be incomplete because I'm missing a title or few that deserve to be on it.

OK, so I haven't actually gotten to the point of the thread yet. For reals, here it is... notice a pattern? Similarities? Anything at all? The only thing is that most of them contain humor...

I'm curious as to what any of ya'll think about your own all-time favorites. For those that have been reading manga for a long while and have tasted countless manga, how does your list look? Over time, can you clearly say that, though you have read all sorts of genres, you always end up enjoying certain one's the most? Or is your list as chaotic as mine?

If I added series' that weren't quite favorites but I still enjoyed quite thoroughly, my list would be even more chaotic.

Or is it just me and my list isn't all that crazy; I just can't see the obvious common element(s) among them.

Ah well, or maybe I just needed a reason to post here once again. Of course, this thought isn't completely random. I have again been engrossed in manga, and manga only, for the past half year after going a year or two of completely neglecting all manga... except for Yotsubato! cuz, once again, it's the bestest manga evar.

So naturally, I have to post here.

For those that have traversed this far into my post, what say you? If my thoughts seem incoherent, then simply respond with whatever you think I'm trying to start up. Hell, I'll even embrace a "first" post.
you guys must have quite a while of your own time.......... that is quite alot of words....
Old 27-05-2009, 11:30 PM   #4   [permalink]
dheu
Forum Elite

Well, the unique thing about forums is that you can actually take your time, think, and compose your thoughts a bit before you put them out there.

What's the point of typing up a short reply? I like to put thought behind what I say, because otherwise I don't think it adds much to the conversation.

Also, it helps to be able to type fast.
Old 27-05-2009, 11:32 PM   #5   [permalink]
Seifer_fan

why would we be running away? And i can't type very fast, you should really reply faster..... <(-_-)>

[x.x] i winI AM SEIFER_FAN!!!
Old 27-05-2009, 11:39 PM   #6   [permalink]
dheu
Forum Elite

I'm sure I'm insulting someone's intelligence here, but "Run away!" comes from the old Monty Python and the Holy Grail movie (a damn good classic movie that MUST be seen). My avatar also comes from that movie.

And "Run Away!" is a good motto for anyone to have, I say.
Old 28-05-2009, 02:35 PM   #7   [permalink]
Seifer_fan

oh yeah, is it that evil flesh eating rabbit or something, and the "run away" is when the run from the french, the rabbit, and the french again, right?
Old 28-05-2009, 08:27 PM   #8   [permalink]
dheu
Forum Elite

Ding-ding-ding! We have a winner!

"But if you do doubt your courage, come no further, for DEATH awaits you all.... with nasty big pointy teeth!"

I love that movie sooooo much.
Old 29-05-2009, 09:29 AM   #9   [permalink]
Seifer_fan

that movie is the bomb............ really the bomb........ "count not to five, nor two, unless thy then proceeds to three".........."one, two, five!....Three sire...three!"
Old 30-05-2009, 12:51 PM   #10   [permalink]
kamikazefstorm
Forum Junkie

Send a message via AIM to kamikazefstorm
I don't have a favourites list, but I do know what I do and don't like.......kinda........sorta....>.>

Originally Posted by Seifer_fan View Post
holy crap, you guys must type a lot!.
That is but small fry compared to what some of the others put up.
kamikazefstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2009, 07:18 PM   #11   [permalink]
dheu
Forum Elite

Originally Posted by kamikazefstorm View Post
I don't have a favourites list, but I do know what I do and don't like.......kinda........sorta....>.>
But that's what the thread's about. It's not asking you to list your favorites, it's asking what generally you like and what you don't like. I just listed a few series to give examples.

So what do you like, and what don't you like in manga?
Old 01-06-2009, 03:45 PM   #12   [permalink]
kamikazefstorm
Forum Junkie

Send a message via AIM to kamikazefstorm
I would be specific but I like almost all types. I think the only stuff I usually can't stand that I can think of at the moment is romance. I'll look through all the manga I've been reading lately and write a better list later.
kamikazefstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2009, 08:16 PM   #13   [permalink]
Project Akira
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via AIM to Project Akira
As horrible as this is going to sound, I have completely arbitrary tastes when it comes to reading manga. I generally go with what i find interesting. Most of my tastes stick to shonen but I really want to branch into shoujo though have no idea where to start because there's so much of it and so much of it just feels formulaic but I know that there is some really good stuff out there. So in a nutshell whatever keeps my interest is the kind of manga I read.
Project Akira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2009, 08:49 PM   #14   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned

I don't read manga. Most of them look incredibly childish and I've got better things to do.
John Faulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2009, 01:11 PM   #15   [permalink]
dheu
Forum Elite

Interesting. I'd actually say that there are much more adult-oriented or mature manga out there than there are anime, from my experience. It's easier to find, at least. That's why I've been watching much less anime and reading much more manga.