Old 15-08-2001, 09:26 AM   #1   [permalink]
Morbius
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to Morbius Send a message via Yahoo to Morbius
Dilandau should be a girl... *spoilers*

Why did the wizard guys or whatever change Allen's sister into a guy (Dilandau)? Couldn't she have been just as evil as a girl? I think it would have been cooler if Dilandau was a girl... It's possible the creators felt that it would be more of a surprise if the viewer discovered that Dilandau was really Allen's sister... But I would have been just as surprised if she remained a girl...

If the concern was that Allen would recognise her then they could always change her appearance... Like changing her into a really hot villianess that always wears skimpy clothing... They need more of those in anime...

So why do you think they decided to make Allen's sister into a guy?
Old 15-08-2001, 10:46 AM   #2   [permalink]
Shadowbard
Executive Member

SPOILERS and all that jazz....

It is the workings and machinations of the minor deity Plote D'Byce. Do not question him, or you will be targeted next. ^_^
Seriously though....

Paying attention to the series, the only female fighters I could see on the Zaibach side were the twin cat-girls who worked for Folken, and they weren't commanding any troops.

We have to remember who founded the Zaibach empire in the first place: Emperor Dornkirk aka Isaac Newton. Think about the social situation on Earth when Newton was alive. Women in general were subservient to men, didn't have much power, and did not become soldiers. Taking this mindset, it is perhaps a little bit easier to see why Dilandau is male. He's a warrior, he's commanding forces, and he has power. If Dilandau had remained Celena (changed of course, but female) I doubt anybody except Jajuka would have been willing to follow her. It just doesn't fit the mindset of the empire, or all of Gaia, for that matter.

Also, remember what the sorcerers were studying. They were studying fate alteration, and were using kidnapped children as test subjects. It seems to me that they would want to see just how far they could take the alteration before the subject was destroyed. This would most likely include altering fate enough to change the very gender of the subject. I think Dilandau/Celena was the result of those particular experiments. It's obvious that Dilandau is not completely sane, which indicates that the experiment might not have worked as well as the sorcerers had hoped. Remember, they were still monitoring him and took him back to "fix" him when he had that nervous breakdown about halfway through the series.

::shrugs:: That's my take on things. Feel free to disagree with it if you will.

~Anki

| Grove | Bardic Musings |
Shadowbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2001, 11:04 AM   #3   [permalink]
ATh
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Send a message via ICQ to ATh
I actually thought 'he' was a girl, and it wasnt until near the end when 'he' took off his shirt (sort of) that i said to myself, oh crap, its a guy, now ill have to alter everything ive thought about her up until now.

But i didnt have to as two eps later 'he' becomes a she haha

ATh
ATh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2001, 11:30 AM   #4   [permalink]
Nulani
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to Nulani Send a message via AIM to Nulani Send a message via MSN to Nulani Send a message via Yahoo to Nulani
It's possible that the fate alternation only worked that way...
Dilandau is kinda the total opposite of Celena, so that might also have a point.

----

I also kinda agree with shadowbard, it might have a "historical" function too..
Old 15-08-2001, 04:55 PM   #5   [permalink]
theredhood

Dilandau *is* a girl. He/She is grudge holding, tempermental, moody as hell as though the messed up experiments left her/him in a constant state of PMS induced madness, and vain, vain, vain. I think Dilandau would carry compacts if the idiots who made his outfit had bothered to supply him with pockets. (Shh! Don't tell me that guys can have grudges, be moody, or be vain. I don't wanna hear it! ) You just can't tell he's a girl from the outer package. Though, sometimes I wonder how complete of a success the physical transformation was. And then I think: some things are better left _not_ wondered about.

~the red hood
theredhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2001, 06:24 PM   #6   [permalink]
suzaku
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to suzaku Send a message via AIM to suzaku Send a message via Yahoo to suzaku
Re: SPOILERS and all that jazz....

Quote:
Originally posted by Shadowbard
It is the workings and machinations of the minor deity Plote D'Byce. Do not question him, or you will be targeted next. ^_^
Seriously though....

Paying attention to the series, the only female fighters I could see on the Zaibach side were the twin cat-girls who worked for Folken, and they weren't commanding any troops.

We have to remember who founded the Zaibach empire in the first place: Emperor Dornkirk aka Isaac Newton. Think about the social situation on Earth when Newton was alive. Women in general were subservient to men, didn't have much power, and did not become soldiers. Taking this mindset, it is perhaps a little bit easier to see why Dilandau is male. He's a warrior, he's commanding forces, and he has power. If Dilandau had remained Celena (changed of course, but female) I doubt anybody except Jajuka would have been willing to follow her. It just doesn't fit the mindset of the empire, or all of Gaia, for that matter.

Also, remember what the sorcerers were studying. They were studying fate alteration, and were using kidnapped children as test subjects. It seems to me that they would want to see just how far they could take the alteration before the subject was destroyed. This would most likely include altering fate enough to change the very gender of the subject. I think Dilandau/Celena was the result of those particular experiments. It's obvious that Dilandau is not completely sane, which indicates that the experiment might not have worked as well as the sorcerers had hoped. Remember, they were still monitoring him and took him back to "fix" him when he had that nervous breakdown about halfway through the series.

::shrugs:: That's my take on things. Feel free to disagree with it if you will.

~Anki
you've got it right ^_^

that's the mentality of the middle ages ^_^
Old 18-08-2001, 11:04 PM   #7   [permalink]
Kimino_Girl

yup, definitly right about the historical thing although, if celena would have been left as female she could have been wicked nasty! but then again, it adds an interesting twist to escaflowne, dont u think?
Old 23-08-2001, 04:58 PM   #8   [permalink]
Teddy

Sorry to say this but DUH!!They were testing their fate alteration machines so an incredible step would be turning a boy into a girl.But maybe a female partner that would be good...
Teddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2001, 01:51 AM   #9   [permalink]
Shenrezade
Executive Member

When I first saw and heard Dilandu I thought he was a girl until Allen referred to Dilandu as "he". I thought it would've been interesting to see Dilly as a girl, but who cares? Dilandu is Dilandu.
Old 26-11-2001, 03:43 AM   #10   [permalink]
Palchan
Forum Addicted

Send a message via ICQ to Palchan
Dilandu looks female .'. Dilandu is bishounen? ^^

Where's Ekaterini... I love his avatar. ^^
My akas are UTD_Paladin, UTD01 (rocks!) UTD rocks! AnimeUNSW rocks! FF6 rocks! FF7 rocks! FF8 rocks! Rufus rocks! Laguna rocks! Seifer rocks! Irvine rocks! Lord of the Rings rocks! Gandalf rocks! Ranma rocks! AB rocks! Alone in the Dark rocks! Might and Magic rocks! Heroes of Might and Magic rocks! Money (Palchan's) rocks! Jaylah_Mae rocks! Rei IV rocks! Speedy rocks! Kawaii No Miko rocks! Pen2 rocks! PenPen2 rocks! Pelrun (even though he never posts) rocks! Palchan rocks! This signatire rocks! ^^
Palchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2001, 08:26 PM   #11   [permalink]
Callisto
Forum Addicted

Send a message via MSN to Callisto
...I wouldn't have been so upset at the end if he had been a girl in the show...
Old 26-11-2001, 10:53 PM   #12   [permalink]
IcedHildaChan
Forum Junkie

Send a message via AIM to IcedHildaChan
Dilandau should been a girl? *shudders* That would have been even more creepy than as a guy...
IcedHildaChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2001, 11:03 PM   #13   [permalink]
Ekaterini
Forum Junkie

Dilandau's my fav character

Quote:
Originally posted by Palchan
Dilandu looks female .'. Dilandu is bishounen? ^^

Where's Ekaterini... I love his avatar. ^^

Here I am! By the way, I'm a girl. . Anyway, Dilandau is fine the way he is. ^_^ I mean, yeah, there's quite an attitude there 0_o but half the series he is physically unable to *be* sane! Come on, would *you* exactly be OK if your body was trying to turn into someone else's and your mind too for that matter. And he had no idea what was going on! Between Van killing off the closest people he had for "friends"--sorry Van, love ya, but did you have to go that far? (by the way, anyone else notice how Van and Dilandau changed roles in that scene--I think Dilandau was starting to get physically unstable there, that's the only time he really freaks in battle, even in the last batle where Van is just about to kill him--nice plot twist in that 14th episode! I think it says a lot about how violence is poisoning)--and his body, on which he obviously always trusted in, was going haywire and he couldn't understand why. His world was going topsy-turvy! Think about it, that's about all he had. I don't think he knew anything else in life besides being in the military or military school. He was probably sent to the latter right after "birth." I don't know how pleasant or nurturing a life like that could be, but if that's all you know, even the loss of *that* kind of securety or normality is disconcerting. All he knows is he can't beat Van, and it's driving him up the wall that he is losing that control.

All I can do is hug my Dilandau Plushy and hope it somehow makes him fell better. ;_; ^^;

And yet, in that poor messed-up--but often COOL--entity, there must be *some* sort of surviving heart or sense that the Dragonslayers should have died with honor, otherwise he wouldn't have thrown that rose. ;_;

I agree with Shadowbard about the Gaian female out-look.
Ekaterini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2001, 07:57 AM   #14   [permalink]
Kodachi
Forum Junkie

Personally, I think the character designers may have made a little mistake with Dilandu (not to say that the little darling isn't perfect in his own special way , bless his soul) , they made him just a little TOO feminine. I don't think any of my friends who watched Escaflowne realized Dilandu was supposed to be a guy until I told them so -_-;; It kinda spoils the effect of him transforming into a girl when the viewers spent half the anime thinking he was a girl in the first place. Maybe it's easier to pick up on the sex thing if you can catch the nuances of the japanese language... I remember having some serious problems with Seta Soujiro from Kenshin.
Kodachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2001, 09:39 AM   #15   [permalink]
Palchan
Forum Addicted

Send a message via ICQ to Palchan
Whoops, ^^.
My akas are UTD_Paladin, UTD01 (rocks!) UTD rocks! AnimeUNSW rocks! FF6 rocks! FF7 rocks! FF8 rocks! Rufus rocks! Laguna rocks! Seifer rocks! Irvine rocks! Lord of the Rings rocks! Gandalf rocks! Ranma rocks! AB rocks! Alone in the Dark rocks! Might and Magic rocks! Heroes of Might and Magic rocks! Money (Palchan's) rocks! Jaylah_Mae rocks! Rei IV rocks! Speedy rocks! Kawaii No Miko rocks! Pen2 rocks! PenPen2 rocks! Pelrun (even though he never posts) rocks! Palchan rocks! This signatire rocks! ^^
Palchan is offline   Reply With Quote