Old 30-04-2003, 04:30 AM   #1   [permalink]
Nairohe
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Send a message via AIM to Nairohe Send a message via Yahoo to Nairohe
The Anime Fan Art Network

Originally posted by Neil Creek

Hi folks, I'm Neil. I'm a friend of Nair's from way back. We worked together on the mascot for my old site Anime Imagery, Ami. Nair and I have been talking recently about a new idea we've had, and we'd like to get your thoughts, opinions and suggestions on it.

What's the idea? The Anime Fan Art Network

Basically the idea works something like this: A new web site is created called the Anime Fan Art Network (working title) that acts as a 'hub' for anime fan artists. At this hub is a massive gallery, a forum, a store, a tutorial archive etc. Members of the network have their own personal 'satelite' sites where they can have their own designs (or choose from templates we provide), biographies, web journals or whatever they like.

Members art work is all stored in the gigantic gallery, in organised categories. Forums will be created for the discussion of popular artists' work. A common front-end will be available for the purchase of prints of all art shown on the site, with the money going to the artist members, minus a small fee to the site.

Basically the site will be built to create a thriving community around anime fan art, generate a great deal of traffic and viewers for anime fan artists, and reduce the compexity and maintainance of running an anime fan art web site.

We've got lots of other ideas of how to make this happen, and lots of problems that we have to overcome. The biggest problem is going to be how to cover the costs of hosting the large gallery and forum, which will both consume a lot of disk space and bandwidth. The first idea we've had is to keep the majority of content free, but provide 'premium' accounts which have access to some kind of special extra content.

That's the basics for now, and we're still working through the details, but we'd like to hear what you all think of the idea so far. We'll answer your questions, and get a better idea of what we need to do.

Just so that you know, only Nairohe and I will be responsible for this project for the time being, but depending on where things go, we may look for other volunteer staffmembers in the future

We're both excited about this, and hope you all will be too!!
Old 30-04-2003, 07:35 AM   #2   [permalink]
QWE

for the buying the pictures will it be like $12 and it will be laminated cause with posters of animes i get i always laminate it because it protects it and makes its colour last longer
so if you do that can we have a choice of presentation
QWE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2003, 12:48 PM   #3   [permalink]
Nulani
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to Nulani Send a message via AIM to Nulani Send a message via MSN to Nulani Send a message via Yahoo to Nulani
It sounds like an excellent idea; but hasn't it been done by devianart already? Although: They have more than just anime art, but then again, maybe that's required to have a large enough userbase.
Nulani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2003, 04:49 PM   #4   [permalink]
Yui_Reborn
---------

Send a message via AIM to Yui_Reborn
Yeah Deviant art is similar, however they are SOOO broad I don't know how useful it is for people working in fan art specifically. This would be much more specialized.

The main problem I see is that in order to be successful (at least from a financial perspective), you'd really need a few professional-quality fan artists to get on board, and people like that are usually good enough at promoting themselves through their own projects that they don't need the kind of infrastructure you'd be offering. The artists that would be most enthusiastic about the project would most likely be beginners, which would be great from the stand point of forming a community, but not a great thing from a sales perspective.

That said, I think the idea can work if it's planned out well. If the kind of site you design provides benefits to beginners AND more advanced artists, you have a good chance of making enough through sales to at the very least cover the cost of the hosting. If it only attracts beginners, the finance part might be tricky, but it would still be an excellent resource for fan artists

I mean, most fan art related forums seem to gradually switch over to more general art forums (look at AB's forum for example; we see much fewer pure fanarts than just anime/manga style art in general), so something that was JUST devoted to fanart would fulfill a specific need that, to the best of my knowledge, isn't really being covered right now.

I wish you the best of luck on this project, and though it's been a while since I've done much actual fanart (as opposed to my own chars), I hope I'll be able to participate once you get it all set up.
Old 01-05-2003, 11:41 PM   #5   [permalink]
SamIam
Forum Master

Wink

Best of luck!

I look forward to seeing this develop.

SamIam
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2003, 08:04 PM   #6   [permalink]
gravitoncity
Executive Member

Send a message via ICQ to gravitoncity Send a message via AIM to gravitoncity Send a message via MSN to gravitoncity Send a message via Yahoo to gravitoncity
The network isn't dead in the water. Nair and I are working on another related project right now, which will go hand in hand with the network. We'll be able to give you some more information soon, but rest assured, we're still excited about this and very keen to get it going.

I was asked about adult content - it's a tricky issue because there's a whole lot of problems to deal with (legal, hosting, access, good taste), but it's something I would VERY much like to include and even encourage. After all, many of the greatest works of art could be considered "adult" in nature, such as Michelangello's magnificent David. We'll have more on this topic when we come to discuss it.

Just letting you know that we haven't forgotten about the idea, but it will take quite a while to get it all going
Graviton City: the Project A-ko Web Site
http://www.gravitoncity.com
gravitoncity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2003, 01:03 PM   #7   [permalink]
Ralvire
Executive Member

Send a message via AIM to Ralvire
Deviant is also incredibly slow.
This sounds like a great idea, and I hope you go through with it. I myself would love to be a part of it in the future.
The Anime Fan Art Network would be a dream for me, Deviant isn't for me because of it's wide variety of art. This idea is more specific and to-the-point.
Best of luck,
rtil
Ralvire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2003, 06:57 PM   #8   [permalink]
GiZMO
Forum Addicted

Send a message via AIM to GiZMO
I'm quite a beginner, and I think that this network would be wonderful. I do not do original art myself, and i like doing fanart more since it's an idea revolving around an already existing image.
GiZMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2004, 08:37 PM   #9   [permalink]
Nokari
Forum Master

Sounds great. I'd love to submit a sort of tutorial if you guys get it up and going. I wouldn't mind helping either.
Nokari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 02:30 AM   #10   [permalink]
gravitoncity
Executive Member

Send a message via ICQ to gravitoncity Send a message via AIM to gravitoncity Send a message via MSN to gravitoncity Send a message via Yahoo to gravitoncity
The Anime Fan Artist Network is online!

Hi folks! It's been a while since there has been any movement on this subject, but I'm here with good news!

The Anime Fan Artist Network (AFAN) is finally live! The site is in a very early stage of development, but even so we already have two fantastic artists (James Bender and Brian Dinnigan) on board, with over 450 images in their combined galleries. Also, a forum is available for everyone to discuss the artwork, and get updates from the artists about any new work or future projects.

Please come and have a look: http://www.animefanartist.net/gallery/

At the moment we are looking for a few new artists to join the community. AFAN is invitation only right now, so if you are interested in joining then your work will have to be very impressive, of significant volume and be regularly added to with new pieces. Please email me with a link to your work and a friendly email introducing yourself!

Obviously bandwidth and storage are significant costs, so we will need to find a way to raise money from the site in the future but for the time being everything will be free. I make no promises about what portions of the site may be cost-based in the future however. I'm sure you can understand!

Have a look around, let me know what you think, share your ideas if you have them, and please let any anime fan artists of fans of fan artists know about the site

Arigato!
Old 18-04-2004, 08:46 AM   #11   [permalink]
gravitoncity
Executive Member

Just an FYI. AFAN has been having some server problems, but it's back online now! Please stop by and have a look, and tell me here what you think!

I'm still looking for interested artists too!
Old 09-03-2009, 10:46 AM   #12   [permalink]
juano
Banned

the sound is ok. It's not bad.
juano is offline   Reply With Quote