Old 19-04-2004, 08:15 PM   #1   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned

Revolutionary New Evangelion Theories Thread (Warning Spoilers For Whole Series!)

Do you ever feel the urge to come up with and share amazing brand new Evangelion theories - dazzling new answers to age old questions?

Well don't keep it in anymore, what is your (serious or non-serious) revolutionary new theory for some of the perennial questions of NGE?

I felt the urge and came up with this (WARNING: spoilers for whole series and movies!):
New Theories
John Faulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2004, 02:11 AM   #2   [permalink]
GuGuEaTeR
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to GuGuEaTeR Send a message via MSN to GuGuEaTeR
After researching for five or six years I realised NGE was rather a simple story of a poor threatened director, and fans overanalysed it to no end. The series was a simple one, no surprises, just careful planning, probably for a profit. The movie however was made in angst, and thus why there are fans who still love it; there are no other anime that was made by an suicidal and angry director, for the sole intention of screwing the fans' heads.

So, I have no more theories to throw around
Old 21-04-2004, 08:44 AM   #3   [permalink]
Wing Zaku 0

that misato katsuragi was a beer babe not a sleepabout
Wing Zaku 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 03:51 PM   #4   [permalink]
ADdispatcher
Forum Master

I'm just glad someone finally acknowledged the great significance of Ronald McDonald's role in Instrumentality.

Last edited by ADdispatcher; 04-05-2004 at 03:55 PM.
ADdispatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 06:28 PM   #5   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned

GuGuEaTeR:
You didn't find episodes 25 and 26 surprising??

Wing Zaku 0:
Or an outwardly confident socialite unable to face the devastating chasms of her inner self..........

ADdispatcher:
It was so obvious I'm stunned no-one has seen the light
Old 16-05-2004, 07:57 PM   #6   [permalink]
Sheex, The Dark Stalker
Forum Addicted

Send a message via ICQ to Sheex, The Dark Stalker
Originally Posted by GuGuEaTeR
After researching for five or six years I realised NGE was rather a simple story of a poor threatened director, and fans overanalysed it to no end. The series was a simple one, no surprises, just careful planning, probably for a profit. The movie however was made in angst, and thus why there are fans who still love it; there are no other anime that was made by an suicidal and angry director, for the sole intention of screwing the fans' heads.

So, I have no more theories to throw around
Unfortunately your theory is complete noncense (and I can't particularly blame you, with all the misconceptions out there spread by morons like Amanda Winn). You're right in that Eva is at its heart a simple story with a narrow main theme that (through good planning by the creators) was overhyped and overdiscussed by its fans to ad nauseum. But the movie was completely planned, it was to be the original ending of the series before censorship pressure and other constraints forced Anno to axe it. The movie was never made in angst, it was never made for the purpose of screwing with the fans, it was a fabulous and rare example of a second chance, were Anno was given the opportunity to show the world the ending he originally planned with a bigger budget and longer running time. Any notion that Anno made the movie to screw over the fans is complete garbage, utter noncense created by a select number of fans who disliked the movie, then took a quote by Anno out of context and let fanboys spread the thing like wildfire. Just like the whole 'Barons of Hell' thing, any notion that Anno made the movie as revenge on the fans is fiction with no factual basis.

And by saying no other anime has been made by a suicidal and angry director you clearly show that you're not familiar with Tomino, who invented the concept(in anime) of killing everyone.

http://nitpick.myeva.net
The Nitpicker's Guide to Evangelion

Last edited by Sheex, The Dark Stalker; 16-05-2004 at 08:00 PM.
Sheex, The Dark Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2004, 04:03 PM   #7   [permalink]
Black_Knight
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via ICQ to Black_Knight Send a message via AIM to Black_Knight Send a message via Yahoo to Black_Knight
That's good bullshit Sheex...

For me... I got one, Rei was not human, but a pile of blood smelling urine that took human form...
-Bishop Oro
Black_Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 10:00 AM   #8   [permalink]
ADdispatcher
Forum Master

Originally Posted by Black_Knight
For me... I got one, Rei was not human, but a pile of blood smelling urine that took human form...
...*puts down EVA model* Holy crap dude.
Old 06-06-2004, 09:37 AM   #9   [permalink]
Shadow War
Forum Elite

Send a message via ICQ to Shadow War Send a message via AIM to Shadow War
We will never know the answers of the age old questions(who killed Kaji?, What happened in the end?)

Honestly the series is over, I loved it. But I was discussing it about 4 years ago...
Shadow War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 11:02 AM   #10   [permalink]
James
Forum Elite

Originally Posted by Shadow War
Honestly the series is over, I loved it. But I was discussing it about 4 years ago...
Amen to that...
"Driven from paradise, man escaped to this earthly existance on the edge of death. Created by the weakest of beings created by the sapients born from that weakness....This paradise is our creation." -Gendo Ikari

"When nothing makes sense, I'll fight believing only in myself." -Heero Yuy
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 07:10 AM   #11   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned

Yeah well, I was discussing it some 4 years ago too but I still feel there is more to be discussed - the ending for example - most gravitate towards the two accepted (well among the anime fraternity anyway...or maybe the anime Internet fraternity or whatever) polarities of "Shinji accepts instrumentality" or "he doesn't" (where instrumentality is "merging" with the whole human race as one homogenous piece mentally and/or physically) and I think that quite possibly you need to look at it more deeply than that..........and characters like Kensuke and Touji haven't been discussed as much as they should........of course questions like "who killed Kaji?" have been discussed in forums billions of times with the same theories bandied around
Old 01-02-2005, 08:47 PM   #12   [permalink]
Newtype05

I have come to a conclusion that it's impossible to make sense of every little thing.
Newtype05 is offline   Reply With Quote