Closed Thread

Old 31-03-2002, 03:22 PM   #1   [permalink]
Kizzim
Executive Member

Send a message via ICQ to Kizzim
I have Anime and No Life!

Ive decided to bring up my feelings about what I would call, the dark side of Anime. The people who bring the most harm to the anime community and what most non-anime people confuse most anime people to be. Yes i know this is confusing, but let me finish.

How i view myself:

I like anime, I like anime alot but no less than normal movies, I enjoy anime just as much as I enjoy sci-fi. Ive been an anime fan for roughly 11 or 12 years since Robotech and Gigantor aired on TV. On my harddrive i have roughly 30 gigs of anime that hasnt been licensed yet or is still showing in japan, most of these I will end up replacing with DVDs. I purchase around 200-300$ worth of anime a month, and im watching anime continously. I would consider myself a hardcore fan, I know a little bit of japanese through watching the shows, i know what a okatu is, what a baka is, what hentai is, what yuri is, etc, however i dont want to learn japanese just so i can watch anime

The evil fans:

Those people whos lives revolve around anime, you can find them on most boards, they have posts ranging over 2000, and seem to know every anime in existance. The constantly hound the boards and websites with spoilers and information most people dont care about. The redicule and insult other anime fans who arnt as 'hardcore' as them.

Recently im at my wits end with these kinds of people. They totally ruin any joy i have with watching a series, they overanalize everything and attempt to show their superior knowledge and rumor skills with everything that comes out. This has happened for a few years, but recently.... I started watching some of the new shows which are just comming out in japan, geneshaft, full metal panic, rahxephon, you know the shows im talking about so that I can watch them more or less at the same time as everyone else and i dont have to worry about spoiler people, but... recently im losing all enjoyment i have of watching them because of these 'evil fans'. Personally, anime previews blow, apperently japanese people cant take suspense, so at the end or beginning of each episode, they more or less ruin it for you, this especially seen in FMP, Vandread and Escaflowne. So for this i PURPOSELY do not watch the previews. When i watch FMP it gives me enjoyment, i like to try to think of whats going to happen next and formulate my own ideas, sometimes i like to chat with others on boards about these... but then the 'evil fans' come into play. Ill post something like this:

"Wow guys latest episode was wild, did you see the giantic robot? Wow i wonder what it does and how they will beat it. Pleaase give me some of your OPINIONS"

Then evil fan answers:

"Yeah i watched the preview and with that data and the fact that i know someone who works in the company i already know whats going to happen for the next 15 episodes. In the next episode they will unleash their hidden gigantic robot which will be piloted by this char and this char, and defeat it with a giant sword that is materialized in thin air, etc, etc."

Gee.. thanks for spoiling it moron. What i asked was what you thought was gonna happen, not what is going to happen. Talking on these boards and with anime addicts sometimes is very displeasing. I like to get into theological and technical arguements, but it seems like i cant even do that without some hardcore fan spouting some bull he read on a anime magazine or some article he read. I dont want someone elses views, i want yours. When i watch anime at my place, there are rules, spoilers and know-it-alls are kicked from the apartment and banned. The quote at my place is "Shut up and watch the damn movie".

If you enjoy anime, but just want to have the peace to watch it and discuss it without being harassed by these people.. TAKE A STAND! Say NO to people with 'No life and anime!'

"It has found a voice, now it needs a body."

Last edited by Kizzim; 31-03-2002 at 03:23 PM.
Old 31-03-2002, 03:48 PM   #2   [permalink]
Drizzten
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Send a message via AIM to Drizzten
Re: I have Anime and No Life!

The simplest response to this is to stop visiting threads where there is a chance spoilers could sneak out.

I hate it just as much as you do when someone doesn't mark spoilers in their posts. I had a critical part of Trigun spoiled for me last year. I've accidentally read so far into the next episodes of DBZ that not much will be new when the next episodes come out. Like you, I warn and discourage spoilers at my place with my friends. Only if they beg and plead (and the spoiler won't completely ruin the show for them) do I let them know what happens. For example, I was a complete hard-ass with my friends concerning Evangelion. I told them nothing before they watched it.
Quote:
Says Kizzim:
They totally ruin any joy i have with watching a series, they overanalize everything and attempt to show their superior knowledge and rumor skills with everything that comes out.
Talking on these boards and with anime addicts sometimes is very displeasing. I like to get into theological and technical arguements, but it seems like i cant even do that without some hardcore fan spouting some bull he read on a anime magazine or some article he read. I dont want someone elses views, i want yours.
In arguements and discussions, you support your position better by citing sources and giving information that is external to your own point of view...in order to bolster your point of view. Those interviews give insight to the person being interviewed that might otherwise not ever be known. It might seem arrogant for some people to say what they know about every anime series they've seen or heard about, but it isn't fair to simply assume they do this out of arrogance. When I find something out about a series that adds meat to a discussion, I post it...not because I'm smug with my superior knowledge, but because I want other people to know.
Old 31-03-2002, 04:03 PM   #3   [permalink]
Cynic

Send a message via AIM to Cynic
Heh, good job Kizzim, i can understand how you might feel, and understand why you might be a little angry. I'm just a mediocre fan at best, i watch rougly an episode of something every day or every other day, assuming i've got new episodes to watch, and i enjoy it. It's a nice break from the tedium, and it's entertaining. Some people do take it too far, and they truly do need to get out more, there is definitley more to life than anime, but those people know who they are, and it's really up to them to make the initiative....anyways, thats beside the point. In regards to your whole spoiler issues,there are some people who really want to know exactly what will happen in the next episode(i don't understand this...i mean, whats the point of watching it if you know exaclty what happens anyways? but i digress...), and there are some people (like you) who just want theories and speculations about what might happen next. To fix this, i would recommend two things: first of all, if your just looking for theories, or speculations, make sure you say so, you know, say something like "i don't want inside information to know EXACTLY whats going on, just give me some ideas about what you guys might think are going on" secondly, for everyone else, who really wants to know what will really happen, either post in a differen message, or, since that might not be possible, just make a message that says :SPOILERS COMING at the top of the message, then leave a few blank lines so that people know that this is what will really happen...

As far as i can see it, this fixes most of the problems you had...sure sure, there are still some people who will be rude and obnoxious trying to show off their inventory of useless anime trivia, but just ignore em...i can see how you might let em get ya down, but just let it roll off ya.
The Winter brings the snow,
....these things make Sake taste good. Zenchou189 (AIM)
Old 31-03-2002, 06:02 PM   #4   [permalink]
Vegunks
Forum Junkie

Yeah . . . but most of the time, ppl take a little time explaining how they knew the answer to how the next ep goes, so as soon as u see this, STOP READING!!! . . . or you could state specifically in ur post that you don't want the answer if someone knows the answer . ..

Ppl must realize that anime is a very small part of life and is entertainment . . something u do when u have some spare time . . .unless itz ur job . . .u shouldn't b so obsessed about it . . . moderation ppl . ..moderation . . .
I can't work at the shelter? Budget cuts?!?!? I'm volunteering! ~ Carlton Banks
Your the kinda person who thinks harass is two words ~ David FT
It is better to die on your legs, then live on your knees ~ someone
Old 31-03-2002, 11:09 PM   #5   [permalink]
Kizzim
Executive Member

I dunno, even if its not spoilers, the fact that these people suck the joy out of anime. Full Metal Panic being my only love, since the beginning I have loved this anime, i was there when episode one was out, going this is the bomb, this is the bomb, watch this, but I cant even discuss it here without getting nasuated. Those people know who they are, hopefully they will just stop. Anime is not life, anime is fun, dont make it life. I cant even go into the evangelion forums, i refuse to watch EoE, etc until its officially released and everyone there just spoils everything, there is no point in trying to read anything in there unless you've watched everything.

This thread is mainly for us 'medocre' fans and just 'weekend' fans to get out our anger at those people who refuse to admit that we are a large and very good part of the anime community. And that we can love anime just as much as them, but not need to do such drastic things to prove it.

Old 01-04-2002, 12:02 AM   #6   [permalink]
Takahashi
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to Takahashi
I guess I must be one of those "evil" fan, assuming you where referring to the full metal panic 12 issue. It was just a theorie of mine, I did appologise for making the mistake. Also there is a certain level of expectation of what you have and have not seen when you enter a thread. If we are on the first three pages, then I won't put any spoilers in unless specificly asked, but when we are in a 12-13 page discussion I presume you have read up a lot on the subject and atleast have been keeping up with the animes episodes released. If you are new to an anime, then its probably in your best interest not to enter an thread.
I try to give spoilers in advance but you can't expect me to put spoilers warning in each and every post I make, sometimes I wouldn't even notice that its a spoiler untill someone point it out to me. As for the episode synopsis that someone post in the FMP thread, there is a little something called common sense, like a big duh if you read "this will happen for the next 15 episode" and still you read on.

My suggestion to the people who write spoilers use color=lightblue, it would make it pretty hard for people to read it unless they really want to read it. To read a text in lightblue, you need to highlight it, so you would be damn fool to complain about spoilers afterwards.

example
Kizzim you are one of those people who overanalyse things, see Rahxephon thread, because of people like you I tend to avoid that thread.
Old 01-04-2002, 12:40 AM   #7   [permalink]
mtyoo

True, that rahxephon thread has turned into a flame war of sorts.

I guess I have a few comments.

-No one is forced to be here.

-I would consider most of the users here to be 'hardcore' anime fans.

-Because most of the users are hardcore, you should expect small spoilers if not full-blown spoilers in the threads; I usually try to avoid reading posts about anime series that I haven't seen yet to avoid getting spoiled. It's common sense?

-The accusation of people being "elitist" always seems to be an "elitist" statement in itself.

-Saying that you kick and ban people from your apartment doesn't necessarily help your cause or your ethos.
Old 01-04-2002, 10:00 AM   #8   [permalink]
Kizzim
Executive Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Takahashi
I guess I must be one of those "evil" fan, assuming you where referring to the full metal panic 12 issue. It was just a theorie of mine, I did appologise for making the mistake. Also there is a certain level of expectation of what you have and have not seen when you enter a thread. If we are on the first three pages, then I won't put any spoilers in unless specificly asked, but when we are in a 12-13 page discussion I presume you have read up a lot on the subject and atleast have been keeping up with the animes episodes released. If you are new to an anime, then its probably in your best interest not to enter an thread.
I try to give spoilers in advance but you can't expect me to put spoilers warning in each and every post I make, sometimes I wouldn't even notice that its a spoiler untill someone point it out to me. As for the episode synopsis that someone post in the FMP thread, there is a little something called common sense, like a big duh if you read "this will happen for the next 15 episode" and still you read on.

My suggestion to the people who write spoilers use color=lightblue, it would make it pretty hard for people to read it unless they really want to read it. To read a text in lightblue, you need to highlight it, so you would be damn fool to complain about spoilers afterwards.

example
Kizzim you are one of those people who overanalyse things, see Rahxephon thread, because of people like you I tend to avoid that thread.
As for FMP thread, i am cought up with FMP, there is no bigger FMP fan in this world than me, but i like to come up with my own ideas not read off some other page. For instance, you used data from a preview and something else and you came up with a spoiler, i used what ive seen so far from the series and didnt watch a preview and made my hypothosis, in the end i was right, due to the fact you were trying to analize it so much you relied on subtitling and new words to give you an idea instead of just watching the series and knowing the characters.What im trying to say is that most threads now-a-days dont even have discussions anymore its like:

Question asker: "Wow in the preview there was this new mecha, i wonder what it is..."

First Answerer: "Maybe its their new weapon!"

Evil Fan: "Based on my data collected and the fact that i speak japanese and watched the next episode already, i can tell you that it is the enemies new weapon, and it emits a super neutrano blast that wipes out a small town, it is piloted by the head dude."

As you can see the discussion is pretty much over and it wasnt really a discussion, some idiot just released spoilers.

Its just that FMP thread is really the worst, there seems to be only 3-4 people who watch the series SOON as it comes out, that being me, when the series comes out, i want to discuss parts of it, so that we can get the attention of others, but the evil fans want to give spoilers, then noone wants to come to the thread because we are doing nothing there but spoiling, those people who dont watch FMP every week are sitting there at episode 7, and going, omg.

Old 01-04-2002, 10:03 AM   #9   [permalink]
Kizzim
Executive Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mtyoo
True, that rahxephon thread has turned into a flame war of sorts.
The RahXephon thread is like that because Westlo has to always be king of the block, if you read through the thread you can see that i made a honest attempt to stop the other discussions there, and stop the flaming but Westlo and the other girl keep going and going, im not going to just stand aside and say look yer right, your superior knowledge of anime has beaten me. Im not wrong, and if thats all rahxephon people want to talk about is the similarities with eva, thats yer perogative, im not stopping you from talking about the series, but i agree that the thread is pretty much dead. But as long as there are know-it-all evil fans like Westlo, your never going to get a decent thread, so give up.

Old 01-04-2002, 10:48 AM   #10   [permalink]
Westlo
Forum Master

The Evil Fan

Yay Kizzim devoted a whole thread to your's truly and Takahashi and Sheex The Dark Stalker to a lesser extent but i was named so Now I can die in peace

First up

I don't know Japanese, I've never watched an anime episode in japanese without english subtitles, i don't have insider links unless you count a couple of founders of some fansubbing groups (who i knew before they started fansubbing) You have 30 gig of anime on your hd now? Well i have 45 gig of anime all up (and have like 6 anime dvds i prefer to spend my money on going out and the fact that Australia have a ---- range of anime to choose from keeps it low), my hard drive is 2.5 gig and i have a 56k connection, most of my anime i've been getting lately comes from a friend.

Those people whos lives revolve around anime, you can find them on most boards, they have posts ranging over 2000

Posts ranging from 2000 and up? I'm going to remind you of the post when you hit that mark and sue me for being on this board for a long time. But wait theirs a Westlo on www.noated.com forums and he only has 174 posts, and theirs a Westlo on www.madman.com.au forums and he only has 130 posts. They obviously are clones that are less evil than the Westlo on Animeboards forums

And seem to know every anime in existance. The constantly hound the boards and websites with spoilers and information most people dont care about. The redicule and insult other anime fans who arnt as 'hardcore' as them.

Oh Kizzim you aren't as hardcore as me, i'm going to ridicule your ass for not being hardcore enough and come to this site which noone cares about even though its one of the biggest anime sites around (Animeondvd)

Over Full Metal Panic 12-17 Guides

I did in bold and large [size=5]Spoilers AHEAD [size] (or something to that effect) now if you can't figure out that their is Spoliers ahead how is it my fault baka. Oh and i've only seen upto episode 9 of Full Metal Panic and i haven't read the spoilers either.

And for RahXephon

Saying something is a clone of something and not giving any examples.......good argument i wonder why you lost I can see how my superior anime knowledge helped me out in "defusing" your argument

but it seems like i cant even do that without some hardcore fan spouting some bull he read on a anime magazine or some article he read. I dont want someone elses views, i want yours

Then why did you post those links to those webpages over the eva and gunbuster thing......I don't want someone elses views i want yours Kizzims, a funny thing is that one of the links you posted had stuff that agreeded with mine and ryomas view.

Full Metal Panic being my only love

Based on my data collected Full Metal Panic is an anime and cannot be physically loved by a human being
Old 01-04-2002, 12:19 PM   #11   [permalink]
Takahashi
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to Takahashi
Quote:
Originally posted by Kizzim

As for FMP thread, i am cought up with FMP, there is no bigger FMP fan in this world than me, but i like to come up with my own ideas not read off some other page. For instance, you used data from a preview and something else and you came up with a spoiler, i used what ive seen so far from the series and didnt watch a preview and made my hypothosis, in the end i was right, due to the fact you were trying to analize it so much you relied on subtitling and new words to give you an idea instead of just watching the series and knowing the characters.What im trying to say is that most threads now-a-days dont even have discussions anymore its like:

Question asker: "Wow in the preview there was this new mecha, i wonder what it is..."

First Answerer: "Maybe its their new weapon!"

Evil Fan: "Based on my data collected and the fact that i speak japanese and watched the next episode already, i can tell you that it is the enemies new weapon, and it emits a super neutrano blast that wipes out a small town, it is piloted by the head dude."

As you can see the discussion is pretty much over and it wasnt really a discussion, some idiot just released spoilers.

Its just that FMP thread is really the worst, there seems to be only 3-4 people who watch the series SOON as it comes out, that being me, when the series comes out, i want to discuss parts of it, so that we can get the attention of others, but the evil fans want to give spoilers, then noone wants to come to the thread because we are doing nothing there but spoiling, those people who dont watch FMP every week are sitting there at episode 7, and going, omg.
It seems that you are spinning around the subject like you did with the Rahxephon thread again. You only take one incident and try to hide the rest of the facts. If we are going to elaborate on this incident, fine by me. As you said it, you ask for an opinion, I gave you mine, I back it up with some evidence, so my theorie was wrong after all, I appologise so what is your trouble. Did I ever mentionned that its a fact that something is gonna happen that way, it was just something I though of. I don't read the synopsis on the next episode, not that stupid duh, when I read the first sentence of that post, I atleast had the intelligence to avoid it.
Why you always try to chase people up the wall is beyond me, maybe you get a kick out of annoying people.
Old 01-04-2002, 01:17 PM   #12   [permalink]
Fatal Outlaw
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to Fatal Outlaw
why cant everyone get along? when it all comes down to it, we all like anime and we have different opinions and views to what we watch. if you dont like the spoilers or analysis of the upcoming episodes then just dont go to the thread. me myself dont go to a specific thread unless ive seen all of the series (with a few exceptions).

anyway, to be on topic, months ago, i despised all those people (the "evil" fans as you will) who raves about all the newest anime that came out becuase all i watched back then were licensed anime. its all good though.
Old 01-04-2002, 01:41 PM   #13   [permalink]
thedarkmarine
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Fatal Outlaw
why cant everyone get along? when it all comes down to it, we all like anime and we have different opinions and views to what we watch. if you dont like the spoilers or analysis of the upcoming episodes then just dont go to the thread. me myself dont go to a specific thread unless ive seen all of the series (with a few exceptions).

anyway, to be on topic, months ago, i despised all those people (the "evil" fans as you will) who raves about all the newest anime that came out becuase all i watched back then were licensed anime. its all good though.
Old 01-04-2002, 02:06 PM   #14   [permalink]
The Sixth Child
Executive Member

Kizzim, I know how you feel, I really do. I know some people who you would classify as "evil fans". I have had anime related conversations with people, and while disscussing a certain show I've had them tell me flat out, "Your wrong." And it was stuff that was a matter of opinion like, "Hey that's a great show and the plot is really interesting.", then they would proceed to explain why the show was not good. Like I give a crap what they think! I try to avoid these people but sometimes when I'm talking to a more friendly and plesent person they will force their way into the conversation and then start giving us a lesson on what we were talking about, be it anime or not. Man! I can't tell you how mad that makes me when they do that!

But I am a different kind of anime fan though. I don't yell at them or try to get into a big heated debate, I just let them talk and wait for them to go away. Then I and the person or persons I am with just go back to what we were talking about before. I try to not let it get to me anymore. If I start to talk about a series with somebody and I don't know if they have seen it or not I will always ask. I never tell people that the anime they like sucks or something. Sometimes on message boards or RAAM or whatever I can sound mean, but I am only mean to trolls and people who have no respect for other people's opinions and are just all around a-holes. It's all good though, usually the mean people end up realizing they are not wanted and leave.
"Bonsai, wise guy, bath toy, water boy, light shines bright in the old town tonight!"
Old 01-04-2002, 02:50 PM   #15   [permalink]
Kizzim
Executive Member

Re: The Evil Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Westlo
Yay Kizzim devoted a whole thread to your's truly and Over And for RahXephon
but it seems like i cant even do that without some hardcore fan spouting some bull he read on a anime magazine or some article he read. I dont want someone elses views, i want yours

Then why did you post those links to those webpages over the eva and gunbuster thing......I don't want someone elses views i want yours Kizzims, a funny thing is that one of the links you posted had stuff that agreeded with mine and ryomas view.
The links were to give you interview spewing, webpage loving hypocrits word for word views from the director. Your gunbuster arguments were useless, your eva comments were useless, everyone else saw my point but you, but then again we cant please everyone.

Its okay Westlo eventually you will wake up and not realize your king of the world.

Closed Thread