Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 13-02-2002, 11:07 AM   #1   [permalink]
Xerlic
Executive Member
 
Xerlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: 5 Dec 2001
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 332
Send a message via ICQ to Xerlic Send a message via AIM to Xerlic
Wrong Number, GN number 12

According to www.rightstuf.com, the next Graphic Novel after "Childhood's End" will be released on June 5th. This Graphic Novel will not continue where Childhood's End has left off, rather go back and start to fill in some of the "lost" chapters that Dark Horse has skipped. This is good and bad. Good obviously, since collecting all of the "Super Manga Blasts" is damn expensive. Bad, since it makes the original first 2 graphic novels obsolete. Instead of just releasing all of the missing chapters, Dark Horse is instead opting to combining the missing chapters with the already released chapters in more than one graphic novel I guess in order to keep continuity. This sucks since it means the later stuff (which is more enjoyable) is put on hold. Here's the link.

http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/cat...em/56849/4/0/0
Xerlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2002, 09:46 PM   #2   [permalink]
Asuza_chan
Forum Addicted
 
Asuza_chan's Avatar
 
Join Date: 8 Sep 2000
Location: - Nerima, Japan (Shiratori
Posts: 1,076
Well, financially, this is gonna chap my butt, because I can scarcely afford my manga fix anymore. Still, it's good that DH is at least cool enough to realize that people don't like omissions. I guess I'll just have to see what it looks like when it comes out.
__________________
"I could have groped you five times"
~Vash the Stampede

"I used to get high on life, but I built up a tolearnce to it eventually."
Asuza_chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2002, 10:37 PM   #3   [permalink]
Xerlic
Executive Member
 
Xerlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: 5 Dec 2001
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 332
Send a message via ICQ to Xerlic Send a message via AIM to Xerlic
If you've seen any of the Manga Blast issues or just look at the first chapter of 1-555-Goddess, you'll see that Fujishima-san's art abilities are nowhere near as refined as they are nowadays. On the plus side, it's a good thing that a gap in the storyline is being filled. The bad thing is that the missing chapters is going to stretch 3 graphic novels. That means the GN's won't be returning back to the current storyline for about another 6-8 monthes! Of course, they could release both storylines concurrently but I doubt DH is going to do that.
Xerlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2002, 12:05 AM   #4   [permalink]
WelsperTheCat
Executive Member
 
WelsperTheCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: 24 Oct 2001
Location: Down the road from the Diggers
Posts: 522
Re: Wrong Number, GN number 12

Quote:
Originally posted by Xerlic
According to www.rightstuf.com, the next Graphic Novel after "Childhood's End" will be released on June 5th. This Graphic Novel will not continue where Childhood's End has left off, rather go back and start to fill in some of the "lost" chapters that Dark Horse has skipped. This is good and bad. Good obviously, since collecting all of the "Super Manga Blasts" is damn expensive. Bad, since it makes the original first 2 graphic novels obsolete. Instead of just releasing all of the missing chapters, Dark Horse is instead opting to combining the missing chapters with the already released chapters in more than one graphic novel I guess in order to keep continuity. This sucks since it means the later stuff (which is more enjoyable) is put on hold. Here's the link.

http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/cat...em/56849/4/0/0
Are you sure they're going to replace "Love Potion No. 9" as well as "1-555-Goddess"? LP#9 starts with chapter 21, by which time Dark Horse was publishing the manga in sequential order. It makes sense to make 3 TPBs out of the first 20 chapters, since 10 chapters per TPB would be a little long, but no sense to mess up LP#9 in the process.

As for the decision to do away with "1-555-Goddess", they had to do that. It just wouldn't work to publish only the remaining chapters. The way it is now is confusing enough; publishing the skipped chapters would have newbies heads spinning. Sure it costs more $$$, but there's no other way to do it realistically.
__________________
"What do you care what other people think?" - Arlene Feynman
WelsperTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2002, 02:37 AM   #5   [permalink]
Xerlic
Executive Member
 
Xerlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: 5 Dec 2001
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 332
Send a message via ICQ to Xerlic Send a message via AIM to Xerlic
Re: Re: Wrong Number, GN number 12

Quote:
Originally posted by WelsperTheCat
Are you sure they're going to replace "Love Potion No. 9" as well as "1-555-Goddess"? LP#9 starts with chapter 21, by which time Dark Horse was publishing the manga in sequential order. It makes sense to make 3 TPBs out of the first 20 chapters, since 10 chapters per TPB would be a little long, but no sense to mess up LP#9 in the process.

As for the decision to do away with "1-555-Goddess", they had to do that. It just wouldn't work to publish only the remaining chapters. The way it is now is confusing enough; publishing the skipped chapters would have newbies heads spinning. Sure it costs more $$$, but there's no other way to do it realistically.
Someone on another board pointed this out to me...I forgot to come back here and fix it. Love Potion Number 9 will fit into the continuity. I musta had a brain fart when I originally wrote the post...if I remember correctly I made that post right before my morning classes which would account for my lack of thinking. You do have a point that chucking 1-555-Goddess is for the best. I guess I'm still bitter at Dark Horse for not just releasing it correctly to begin with.
Xerlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2002, 08:52 PM   #6   [permalink]
WelsperTheCat
Executive Member
 
WelsperTheCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: 24 Oct 2001
Location: Down the road from the Diggers
Posts: 522
Re: Re: Re: Wrong Number, GN number 12

Quote:
Originally posted by Xerlic


You do have a point that chucking 1-555-Goddess is for the best. I guess I'm still bitter at Dark Horse for not just releasing it correctly to begin with.
Well, getting rid of 1-555-Goddess is making the best of a bad situation, at least. As you say, we could be avoiding all this turmoil if only DH had released everything in order and without gaps in the first place.
__________________
"What do you care what other people think?" - Arlene Feynman
WelsperTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2002, 08:48 AM   #7   [permalink]
Gunblade
Executive Member
 
Join Date: 21 Nov 2001
Location: Scotland, Dundee/Huntly
Posts: 514
Send a message via ICQ to Gunblade Send a message via AIM to Gunblade
...

so is that gonna make the 1-555-Goddess a true, real live collectors item?
Better go buy another copy then
Gunblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2002, 11:14 AM   #8   [permalink]
Xerlic
Executive Member
 
Xerlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: 5 Dec 2001
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 332
Send a message via ICQ to Xerlic Send a message via AIM to Xerlic
Re: ...

Quote:
Originally posted by Gunblade
so is that gonna make the 1-555-Goddess a true, real live collectors item?
Better go buy another copy then
I highly doubt it since there are so many of them out there already. Even if they stop printing it, it would still be pretty easy to get. Plus, GN's rarely become collector's items. One can always hope, though.
Xerlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.