Old 18-09-2002, 11:53 PM   #16   [permalink]
Bomberman00004
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to Bomberman00004 Send a message via AIM to Bomberman00004 Send a message via Yahoo to Bomberman00004
Thanks for the help ^^; Hrm, I do like X-Japan's ballads over their other stuff, but come on, how can you not like hide's guitar playing?? O_O Him and Pata are both great at guitar.
Bomberman00004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2002, 12:00 AM   #17   [permalink]
Project Akira
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via AIM to Project Akira
Quote:
Originally posted by Bomberman00004
Thanks for the help ^^; Hrm, I do like X-Japan's ballads over their other stuff, but come on, how can you not like hide's guitar playing?? O_O Him and Pata are both great at guitar.
His guitar scares me, I kid you not. Even though he has great musicianship I feel that he has no emotion in his playing in my opinion. Of course I'm more a fan of punk and not arena rock to be honest

Last edited by Project Akira; 19-09-2002 at 12:02 AM.
Project Akira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2002, 06:32 PM   #18   [permalink]
BigShot Jordan
Forum Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigShot Jordan
NO EMOTION?! Holy F UCK!

Hide embodied rockstardom - the instantly recognisible mop of hot pink hair, the unmistakable riffing, the readiness to be offensive if it meant getting his point across. He was a brilliant songwriter, versatile singer, haunting lyricist, and probably one of the most amazing guitar players who ever lived. He was a legend in every sense. He was more than just a rock star, he was THE rock star.

I don't want to have this turn into an argument or something, but when someone says that his guitar playing has no emotion I have to retaliate.

see you space cowboys.
Old 19-09-2002, 09:49 PM   #19   [permalink]
Project Akira
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via AIM to Project Akira
Quote:
Originally posted by BigShot Jordan
NO EMOTION?! Holy F UCK!

Hide embodied rockstardom - the instantly recognisible mop of hot pink hair, the unmistakable riffing, the readiness to be offensive if it meant getting his point across. He was a brilliant songwriter, versatile singer, haunting lyricist, and probably one of the most amazing guitar players who ever lived. He was a legend in every sense. He was more than just a rock star, he was THE rock star.

I don't want to have this turn into an argument or something, but when someone says that his guitar playing has no emotion I have to retaliate.
Well like I said, that's me. I'm not a huge fan of arena rock which is basically what X-Japan is, an arena rock band. To me that style of music the emotions while they are there, feel hollow and empty. That's what my tastes are and they obviously aren't the same for you. Of course I never said the guy was a complete and utter hack either. I'm just not a fan of his style that's all. If you said the same thing about Steve Albini or Frank Black to me I would feel the same. It's all about tastes and I don't have one for Hide though I do recognize the talent he had in his playing (even if it was on a really wrong looking guitar) and that he was one of the fastest guitarist I've heard.
Project Akira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2002, 06:58 AM   #20   [permalink]
One Winged Angel Kun
Executive Member

Send a message via ICQ to One Winged Angel Kun Send a message via AIM to One Winged Angel Kun
I just currently got into Malice Mizer, alittle bit. Only with Gackt though. I had always known about them and been alittle scared lol. I mean they were the most visual kei band ever. They set the standard. They don't scare me anymore. But I am not heavy into J-rock because I find male Japanese voices to be a bit strange sometimes.

I started with Siam Shade. I really like them, something about them. They are alittle '80, but not enough to bother me, I didn't like the '80s and the music drives me nuts.

But, I got into Gackt, he is more calm if you are put off by that whole Visual thing, even when he was in Malice Mizer he was the "calmest" looking out of the bunch, lol, if I can put it that way.
He has one hell of a voice, not sqeeky, he can hit any note you can throw at him. Just amazing. Plays so many instruments, he is good at almost anything, has a very very charismatic personality, he doesn't even look Japanese lol. He is like a non-Japanese ...Japanese. It's odd. He is definately worth the look, he is probably the hardest working male musician in Japan. I'd hope, lol. It would be scary to see anyone work harder than that.
Kitto dare ni mo wakaranai.
One Winged Angel Kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2002, 10:05 PM   #21   [permalink]
BigShot Jordan
Forum Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigShot Jordan
Yeah, I won't deny that Gackt works pretty hard (I got his new single by the way, the English version of December Love and it's absolutely lovely)

In my opinion, hide worked incredibly hard, even harder than Gackt. He produced several bands (Zeppet Store, Oblivion Dust ect.), played with and wrote songs for XJapan, wrote, produced and arranged his own solo work, and formed 2 bands of his own.

Man, talk about being a hard worker. I could say the same thing about Yoshiki.
Old 29-12-2002, 12:25 AM   #22   [permalink]
One Winged Angel Kun
Executive Member

Send a message via ICQ to One Winged Angel Kun Send a message via AIM to One Winged Angel Kun
Well, Gackt is always doing something. I am surprised he has time to grab his lap top and check his emails!!! We all know he doesn't sleep.
Alot of Japanese artists work incredibly hard but don't even have to!
Like Ayumi Hamasaki. Pretty much, she just works sooo damned hard, it seems. It's mind blowing. But after researching Gackt as much as I do, his own personal life seems busy as well, along with his career. Like interviewers have found him asleep in hotel lobbies and such and he feels bad about sleeping! Maybe that's where his creativity comes from lol.

Yes, Juunigatsu Type II is really good, I used to think he sounded like he was talking backwards but then after a while you get a feeling for what he is saying. It's a really sad song, but it's great. But I will say the Japanese one is the best. Probably one of his best songs, Mizerable is just amazing though. Musically, just all around great song.
Kitto dare ni mo wakaranai.
One Winged Angel Kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 07:31 PM   #23   [permalink]
Sei San
Executive Member

Send a message via AIM to Sei San
Alright I like:

Gackt
Glay
X-Japan
l'arc~en~ciel
Dir En Grey
hide
Sei San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 02:16 AM   #24   [permalink]
Tremere

No one has mentioned Sigh yet? If they don't prove Black Metal isn't for Norwegian folks only, then... there is no then, because they do. Hell, they're one of the three bands that were on Cacophonus whose albums are still in print (The other two being Cradle of Filth and Bal-Sagoth, both english bands.)
Tremere is offline   Reply With Quote