Old 29-07-2002, 10:34 AM   #1   [permalink]
Buray

Angry Tokyopop SUCKS!!!

It looks like Tokyopop is sticking to their decision to stay with the name changes in the manga. It was also announced at Otakon that the manga volumes after 1 and 2 won't be carrying the "100% authentic manga" label. Worst of all is that the dubbed version of Initial D won't contain the original songs / music. Damn, I'm soooooo pissed. The is the first major mistake of Tokyopop, and what a mistake it is! Aaaarrrgghhh!!!!
Buray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2002, 10:36 AM   #2   [permalink]
raynebc
Forum Master

I was never very knowledgeable with manga companies, but I thought that's what Tokyopop was? They do anime too?
raynebc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2002, 10:46 AM   #3   [permalink]
Kawaii Miko
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Location: Aden, Aria Server, Lineage II, Laptop, Boudoir, Shidonii, Oosutaraiya
Send a message via ICQ to Kawaii Miko Send a message via AIM to Kawaii Miko Send a message via Yahoo to Kawaii Miko
Tokyopop...releasing anime titles?!? I thought they only release manga titles only.
Old 29-07-2002, 10:49 AM   #4   [permalink]
raynebc
Forum Master

Yeah, that's my first reaction too...Are you sure you're not mistaken, Buray?
raynebc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2002, 10:50 AM   #5   [permalink]
Buray

Tokyopop does release anime titles. The latest is going to be Initial D. They've already released GTO, Vampire Princess, Spring and Chaos, Real Bout High School and Saint Tail. Check out their website for more info.

Last edited by Buray; 29-07-2002 at 10:55 AM.
Old 29-07-2002, 12:01 PM   #6   [permalink]
Fatal Outlaw
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to Fatal Outlaw
Quote:
Tokyopop...releasing anime titles?!? I thought they only release manga titles only.
Quote:
I was never very knowledgeable with manga companies, but I thought that's what Tokyopop was? They do anime too?
yes, they do anime too, in addition to the titles Buray mentioned above, they also have the license for Brigadoon, Shaolin sisters and Marmalade Boy.

anyway, tokyopop does not suck. the changes in the manga angered a lot of fans, but my main concern is the anime on whoch the true names will be in the sub version. as for the music, not all of it are going to be changed, TPOP cant get the license to all the music in ID because some of it were produced by 3rd party musicians and they have to get the license from them directly which is a difficult thing to do. anyway, as i said, they're not changing ALL the music. and about the manga, is it really that bad? its only the names, everything else is intact, [personal opinion]honestly, i think you ID fans are over reacting[/personal opinion] besides, they did say that they will see and release a collectors edition of ID once the manga is done.

to end this post, i cant thank tokyopop enough for GTO anime, RBHS anime, Love Hina manga and Chobits manga
Fatal Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2002, 04:35 PM   #7   [permalink]
cloakactive
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Send a message via AIM to cloakactive
Tokyopop hasn't always done anime... its just within this past year that they've been releasing anime titles which was a rather bold step for them. Thats prolly why theres still a handfull of people out there that weren't aware of this fact.

I bid 30,000$ on Nairohe... and I've got the bruises to show for it. :lol:
cloakactive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2002, 05:18 PM   #8   [permalink]
snowcherry
Forum Elite

Send a message via AIM to snowcherry
Didn't they say they were editing sex scenes in the manga as well? You know, to make it marketable to a younger audience? I could have sworn that was in their press release.
Yeah, here it is:
Quote:
Also, in the spirit of full disclosure: there are a few sex scenes in the manga that we’ll be altering -- one in the 1st volume, another later on in Vol. 8 or 9. These edits are necessary because we are positioning Initial D in the U.S. for a younger audience than it serves in Japan.
They may have some of the best licenses in the industry, but I'm not sure they know what to do with them.
Old 29-07-2002, 08:57 PM   #9   [permalink]
tfcreate
Forum Elite

Send a message via AIM to tfcreate
Simple response...

They seem to think that turning their backs on one segment of their audience for the sake of a few bucks is the answer, so you must let them see what the abandoned segment is all about. Don't buy the copies that have been censored. Bettter yet boycott them for the rest of the year. Loosing money will certainly make a statement that will hear.
TFC

Last edited by tfcreate; 30-07-2002 at 01:37 AM.
tfcreate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2002, 09:20 PM   #10   [permalink]
Fatal Outlaw
Forum Master

Re: Simple response...

Quote:
Originally posted by tfcreate
They seem to tink that turning their backs on one segment of their audience for the sake of a few bucks is the answer, so you must let them see what the abandoned segment is all about. Don't buy the copies that have been censored. Bettter yet boycott them for the rest of the year. Loosing money will certainly make a statement that will hear.
TFC
boycotting TPOP is a stupid suggestion. they're releasing some of the best mangas out there (ie Chobits, Love Hina). and lets face it, that 'one segment of their audience' is very small, is it so wrong to get more audience? besides, if i had my own company, and changing my product has to be done for it to appeal to most people, so be it, even if i have to deal with whining over-reacting fans. and if i did own my company, theres no way im going to sell a product that only a small .0001% of the population will buy (that being the true fans). and besides, TPOP needs the money, they already went under with Saint Tail and Harlem Beat
Old 30-07-2002, 01:33 AM   #11   [permalink]
tfcreate
Forum Elite

Send a message via AIM to tfcreate
Re: Re: Simple response...

Quote:
Originally posted by Fatal Outlaw

boycotting TPOP is a stupid suggestion. they're releasing some of the best mangas out there .......
Spoken like a true diplomat. I hope your job interview skills are as refined.

These are business people, and based on my expierence with publishers they don't respond to blind rage or emotion.
You state emotionally, and rather ineloquently only the ones that you like. In business, these publishers only know one thing, how it impacts their bottom line.
Hit them there and they'll listen.
TFC
Old 30-07-2002, 02:24 AM   #12   [permalink]
PenPen2
Forum Master

Quote:
cloakactive:
Tokyopop hasn't always done anime... its just within this past year that they've been releasing anime titles which was a rather bold step for them. Thats prolly why theres still a handfull of people out there that weren't aware of this fact.
I've only been into anime for about... A year and a few months or so... And one of the first animes I saw was put out by Tokyopop... Look at the avatar. ^_~ (For those that don't know, Vampire Princess Miyu.)

That's all I've seen that Tokyopop has put a hand on, and I thought it turned out quite nicely, honestly... I mean, if it could be in my top three, I think that's pretty good... No?
Old 30-07-2002, 02:55 AM   #13   [permalink]
Fatal Outlaw
Forum Master

Re: Re: Re: Simple response...

Quote:
Originally posted by tfcreate

Spoken like a true diplomat. I hope your job interview skills are as refined.
to tell you the truth, i dont need a job. yes, im one of those brats that got their money from their parents becuase they made enough money for 10 generations to live on. im a brat and proud of it.

Quote:

These are business people, and based on my expierence with publishers they don't respond to blind rage or emotion.
You state emotionally, and rather ineloquently only the ones that you like. In business, these publishers only know one thing, how it impacts their bottom line.
Hit them there and they'll listen.
TFC
TPOP is not just any publisher. if you read their reasoning on AoD (bet you didnt even read that huh?) they do listen to the fans, they said that they will release a 'collector's edition' after they released all the Initial D manga in uncensored form. and not only that, they still continued to release Saint Tail anime even though it didnt have too many sales.

and as i said above, boycotting TPOP is stupid. they're releasing A LOT of great stuff UNCUT and they are only doing this to *one* title that they said they will be releasing uncut later on. its like boycotting m&m because you didnt like the new color they chose

Last edited by Fatal Outlaw; 30-07-2002 at 11:42 AM.
Old 30-07-2002, 02:58 AM   #14   [permalink]
Westlo
Forum Master

Oh god no the names have changed, oh no it's really wrecked the story by having the names changed, oh my ------ god, NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

F*ck you TokyoPop how dare you try and make money, which is what every other licenseing comapny and anime studio in japan try and make, ---- YOU ALL for trying to get this on tv, go ---- yourselves, how dare you wreck the integrity of initial D by changing the names. This is Robotech and Sailormoon all over again even though they changed the story around I don't give a ----! ---- YOU!!!!!

God I can't believe how many fans are winging about this, these are probably the same fans that watch subs and not the ear bleeding dubs that are produced. The japanese version will be untouched (as far as names go) and as for the music it's a perfectly valid reason. Look at Macross 7, one reason why it's not licensed is because one company owns the series and another owns the music to the show (and when they sell enough to have 12 osts, i think it's going to be a high asking price ) and will have many artists.

Fans are completely overacting, to name changes, one name was changed to K.T Thats the guys initials whats so bad about that. Does that somehow wreck the storyline and make it unbearable to watch? Even though the subs will have the original names?

Yes it sucks with the manga, but hey they are taking it off the 100% Authentic manga line, so it's not like they are lying. There will most llikely be a collectors edition with unedited, unchanged names later on.

I'm really sick of this issue it's been bitched to death all over AnimeonDVD and animenations forums and some comments are so moronic it's stupid (look at my first two paragraphs for a general idea)
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2002, 07:31 AM   #15   [permalink]
Buray

Changing the names is bad enough, and is even worse with those really dumb names. Plus, they're taking out some scenes from the original manga to make it more "marketable." Heck, there's really nothing to change because ID has no blood and gore and is totally marketable in its true form. For some fans, changes are unacceptable. How would you feel if your favorite manga or anime had name changes? What if Shinji's name in EVA was Iggy and Rei's name was changed to Martha? Or if Tetsuo's name in Akira was changed to Teddy? If the name changes were good, like it was in Robotech, then maybe it would have been aceptable. Heck, even Lynn Minmay's name wasn't changed. But Iggy? Tak? WTF is that? The names that they have is part of the appeal of the anime/manga. We love those characters because of their wierd names! And sometimes you don't change it because it has an effect on the story's atmosphere. Those dumb names make it sound like Fast and the Furious, which it is not. And what really pisses me off is that some of the music will be changed. Heck, the music is half the anime, without it, it's a piece of rubber. Again, how would fans feel if the music (let's say by the great Yoko Kanno) was removed and replaced by some other musical score? We may be critical of the changes, but we wouldn't be this critical if we thought that the changes were just minor ones which do not mess with the integrity of the anime / manga.

Last edited by Buray; 30-07-2002 at 07:35 AM.