Old 09-02-2003, 09:06 PM   #1   [permalink]
Impetus1

Manga fan translators should PHOTOREVERSE.

It's not that hard. Every image editor in the existence of computers can flip an image with A CLICK OF A MOUSE.

Fan-translators of manga seem to be unaware of this concept, though.

I can read panels from right to left, but I don't believe I should have to when ALL IT TAKES IS ONE CLICK OF A MOUSE.

Of course I bet snobbish fanboys/girls think "well, then it wouldn't be like the actual japanese manga!"

If that's their reason then it's not a valid one in my opinion.

~Imp.
Impetus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 11:55 PM   #2   [permalink]
Project Akira
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via AIM to Project Akira
If you think that is bad some actual manga selling companies won't even translate sound effects though they will translate words!
Project Akira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 03:43 AM   #3   [permalink]
Dryden-san
Forum Elite

This man refuses to see the inherent superiority of the right-to-left format. Destroy the non-believer!

I'm kidding of course, but really, aren't you being a little silly here? Now you're right of course: it is simple. But flipping pictures does damage the integrity of the original artwork. Would you want to see Kenshin's scar or Guts' cannon arm on the wrong side? I wouldn't, because then it would be wrong. I don't want that anymore than I want to read my American comics right-to-left. There are some creators who dislike it, too. The creator of Blade of the Immortal didn't want his art flipped so Studio Proteus used the cut and paste method-much slower and more expensive. Would you want the fan translators to do that? It's like expecting fansubbers to add a dub. These are fans. They do the work and distribute it for free. You can read manga you would never get a chance to otherwise. You said yourself you don't have any trouble reading it why does it matter?
Dryden-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 06:58 AM   #4   [permalink]
Petezilla
Executive Member

I prefer reading right to left anyway and if it's so simple you can just edit the scans yourself and reverse them all.
Petezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 01:16 PM   #5   [permalink]
Stu
Forum Elite

[deleted]...

Last edited by Stu; 11-07-2008 at 06:09 PM.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 07:44 PM   #6   [permalink]
Impetus1

I'm still not convinced. A change in right-or-left handedness doesn't bother me too much, and neither does a flip of distinguishing features.

If I'm reading (or actually "trying to read") Japanese, I have no problem working right-to-left since I knew that's how it's supposed to be read from the start. However, when I look at any page with English (or other European) text, my eyes immediately grab the text in the upper left corner.

So sometimes I can be confused for a couple seconds, about the same time it takes a fan-translator to reverse a page.

Reversing it yourself reverses the English text. So that does not make anything easier.

~Imp.

Last edited by Impetus1; 10-02-2003 at 07:45 PM.
Impetus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 07:49 PM   #7   [permalink]
Project Akira
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via AIM to Project Akira
Quote:
Originally posted by Dryden-san
There are some creators who dislike it, too. The creator of Blade of the Immortal didn't want his art flipped so Studio Proteus used the cut and paste method-much slower and more expensive.
In some cases, Hiroaki Samura is needed to redraw some panel as a way to keep the flow of the page going.
Project Akira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 09:28 PM   #8   [permalink]
Dryden-san
Forum Elite

If reversing the art doesn't bother you, well, that's your preference. But you aren't going to change the mind of any fan-translators with that argument. They tend to be purists. If you asked any of them why they don't flip, I'm sure you'd get the exact same answers you've been given here.

And not to be cruel, but if it does give you that few seconds confusion then keep practicing until it doesn't. I had the same problem once, and now I don't. It can be done. If you think you can find enough people who agree with you, start a petition or something. Just don't expect me to sign it. "Preserving the integrity of the original artwork" is a meatier argument than "I don't like it this way."

At least it is when you're not paying for it.
Dryden-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2003, 09:00 PM   #9   [permalink]
StephanePare

And besides, if you're not happy, you can always translate them yourself. Also, if all it takes is one single click, then do that click yourself, instead of bothering people who love the actual mangaq experience to adapt things to people who just want to casualy read stuff.
StephanePare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2003, 10:40 PM   #10   [permalink]
Linna32
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to Linna32 Send a message via MSN to Linna32 Send a message via Yahoo to Linna32
well if you read just a bit more manga that you actually do READ which is probably not very many at all you might get used to it and wouldnt complain about it would you?
Linna32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2003, 10:57 PM   #11   [permalink]
APF
Forum Elite

Send a message via AIM to APF
Well, I'm all for preserving the original as much as possible; hell, I even like it when they leave the original sound effects, and translate them seperatly. I think things being backwards is a little worse than you not liking it... one of these days, I swear Viz will realize that they are not selling manga to normal people, and stop flipping. Flipping bad, FLIPPING BAD!!
APF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2003, 01:24 AM   #12   [permalink]
death
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to death
hehee...

The untrained one show his true colors...

as APF said
Quote:

Flipping bad, FLIPPING BAD!!
death is offline   Reply With Quote