Old 01-04-2003, 07:42 PM   #1   [permalink]
Sigurd Fatima
Forum Master

Post Plans to license every manga since 1987

Read about this new development here: http://animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=3411

Quote:
Leaked documents from an anonymous TOKYOPOP executive indicate that the company is in negotiations with the Japanese government to singlehandedly buy translation and distribution licenses for every manga produced since 1987.
This is a very good and very bad thing. It's a good thing because we may get many more translated manga. It's a bad thing because there are thousands (a 572-page listing of all the acquired manga titles was made up) of manga out there and they can only be read as scanslations. Well this would clearly make it illegal to create scans any more scans and with no ifs ands or buts about it. Once or if done it may be a long time until all of the manga gets translated and so pretty much denying the manga community outside of Japan of all untranslated manga until it is translated by whoever owns the liscense. They will be working on this for years to come as the article reads. I'm happy because I feel like this is a win for Japan (or should I say TOKYOPOP), but I am also getting a little worried because I feel this will be a loss for me and the world in the years to come until they get it all translated and released. If this happens all scanners will have to shut down operations or be in serious trouble. Your thoughts?

Peace. V

Last edited by Sigurd Fatima; 01-04-2003 at 08:47 PM.
Sigurd Fatima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 07:52 PM   #2   [permalink]
Westlo
Forum Master

Slaps head

I've also heard Godzilla is being sent to crush Sadamn, but Astro Boy is going to help the poor people of Iraq as well.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 08:40 PM   #3   [permalink]
Kayay
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to Kayay
Looking at their other "news stories" for the day, it's safe to assume it is an April Fools Joke. Imagine if they actually did, however. It's an interesting thought: a Manga Monopoly.
Kayay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 08:47 PM   #4   [permalink]
Sigurd Fatima
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Kayay
It's an interesting thought: a Manga Monopoly.
A very scary thought you mean. ADV Films has plenty of anime under wings, although it is trying to take on too many at once I think. They are really backlogged with it.

It's funny how people play April Fools jokes on the net all over the place, but no one in my neighborhood even does it anymore. Perhaps it is time to start something up and catch them off guard. (I'll remove my edit above and see it anyone else falls for it for not reading the first posts on this thread!). lol

Peace. V

Edit: And why is this place so empty, does everyone watch anime and not read any manga!? Crazy.

Last edited by Sigurd Fatima; 01-04-2003 at 08:48 PM.
Sigurd Fatima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 08:52 PM   #5   [permalink]
JPOnion

I have no doubt it's an April Fools joke. But still, if it is, I'd be happy...if they could do it fast, and still do a decent job. As much as I like Tokyopop, I'll admit they sometimes have problems doing this...

I highly doubt Tokyopop would be able to do it though, not unless they got a lot more equipment and staff.
JPOnion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 12:04 AM   #6   [permalink]
TeldakSS
Forum Junkie

Quote:
Originally posted by JPOnion
I have no doubt it's an April Fools joke. But still, if it is, I'd be happy...if they could do it fast, and still do a decent job. As much as I like Tokyopop, I'll admit they sometimes have problems doing this...

I highly doubt Tokyopop would be able to do it though, not unless they got a lot more equipment and staff.
BUWAHAHAHA! quick AND decent? that'd be nigh-impossible unless they used pre-done translations or scanslations stolen from fans. Easily one of the easier to spot april fools' jokes.
TeldakSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 01:13 AM   #7   [permalink]
JPOnion

Exactly, I'd be happy if they could do it and manage to do it quick and decent...I never said I thought they could do it. Even if this wasn't a joke, I know no matter how hard they tried, Tokyopop just wouldnt be able to do it.

I stand by my view that this is definatly a hoax (Especially since if you read ANN's forum, the writers are openly admitting it, even as their posting them )
JPOnion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 03:56 AM   #8   [permalink]
black_angel
Forum Master

Send a message via MSN to black_angel Send a message via Yahoo to black_angel
HAHZA!!!!!!!
black_angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 06:39 AM   #9   [permalink]
Petezilla
Executive Member

negociating with the japanese governement haha.
every manga since 1987 by one company then they'd have to hire about 1000-2000 new people to work on all of them separetly.
How many manga's have been released since 1987 ?
Petezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 03:06 AM   #10   [permalink]
TeldakSS
Forum Junkie

Quote:
Originally posted by Petezilla
negociating with the japanese governement haha.
every manga since 1987 by one company then they'd have to hire about 1000-2000 new people to work on all of them separetly.
How many manga's have been released since 1987 ?
I think they'd have to hire more than 2000 people to work on the archives alone. 1987 = 16 YEARS worth of manga. 2000 people, first off you need to find 2000 unemployed people who can read and translate japanese, then they have to decide on whether or not to americanize, if they did, that's another 1000 people, then 1000 more for overheads (accountants, managements, reviewers, editors, etc etc). Simply too much overhead involved to even consider it.

I don't think we should figure out how many manga were released since 1987, that would probably overload AB...
TeldakSS is offline   Reply With Quote