Old 11-03-2003, 05:52 PM   #1   [permalink]
Icantpickascreename
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to Icantpickascreename
Arrow Utena = Car?

I've always wondered about the scene from Adolescence Mokoshiroku when Utena magically transforms herself into a car. What does that represent during the movie? Is there any metaphors behind this "transformation?"
Old 11-03-2003, 07:22 PM   #2   [permalink]
Mav

If you accept that the characters are trapped in the academy because of an event in their past, then Utena's transformation represents her friendship being the "vehicle" that allows Anthy to escape from her past (the unhealthy relationship with her brother and his subsequent death).

At least that's what I get out of it. It's been a while since I've watched it though.
Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 11:46 PM   #3   [permalink]
Linna32
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to Linna32 Send a message via MSN to Linna32 Send a message via Yahoo to Linna32
this should cover the entire movie for you, all taken apart to the smallest detail by me bekkichan and a few others
Old 20-08-2003, 05:46 PM   #4   [permalink]
sutarikun

Send a message via AIM to sutarikun
I always felt it had something to do with the idea of having a reason and having true "drive" to escape a false coffin created for the sole purpose of escapism.

As Ikuhara himself also explained, it also put Utena's fate into Anthy's hands by making Utena dormant, almost like a sleeping beauty. In many cultures, a car itself represents maturity and wisdom (as well as a certain age), and that was what Utena transformed into to bring Anthy into the outside world.
sutarikun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 08:10 PM   #5   [permalink]
bigbi

It represents a person's will and way to escape. Only those with a will to reach maturity were cars. Utena, Shiori, and Kozue became cars. All had a will to escape.
bigbi is offline   Reply With Quote