Old 11-01-2004, 09:09 AM   #1   [permalink]
MrBS
Forum Master

Send a message via MSN to MrBS
FFX-2 done

I completed the game a little over a week ago and at the end of the day - meh.

Finally Fantasy X-2 is a beautiful looking game the environments and characters within battles are stunning. Contrary to popular opinion I don't mind the music in this game at all. I might get around to buying the soundtrack at some point.

The mission based non-linear play is fun, the whole game is fun. As far as the game aspect of X-2 is concerned, you will not be disappointed. ATB is back in full force and as much as I loved the CTB system from FFX, there are no problems with ATB coming home to FF. You have a great variety of mission and there is so much to do in this game it is quite bewildering at times to decide what to do next.

As for the story/temperament of the game is concerned the 'Charlies angles' fanboy criticism is fully justified - how can any game defend itself when mid mission the girls stumble upon a hot spring and decide to kick back?

Your either going to love or hate the style of this sequel so either be very forgiving with it or don't bother - I'm not going to sugar coat this - there are many, not 'a couple', not 'a few', but many bad scenes in this game. X-2 is swamped with them. I was laughing a lot with this game but cringing about just as much.

My major gripe at the end of the day would be the lack of story in this game - story based missions probably just creep into double digits with all the rest being side quests. This isn't necessary a bad thing - some side quest can give you interesting bits of back story or side story to the main quest but the vast bulk is just doing the mission which doesn't effect the main thrust of the game at all.

My other major issue with this game is more game play orientated. X-2 is unbelievably easy. I know the FF vet will say 'but all FF games are easy' - this is true - asides from the hardcore side quests just about any FF game can be quite easy provided your not totally helpless when it comes to playing RPG's. X-2 has its difficult side quests too but they are few and far between - on the whole this game is ridiculously easy, you'll level up to high levels without even trying and just be able to stomp all enemies in the game with physical attacks. The final boss(es) were no challenge at all.

Next to no story, and next to no challenge does not make for a good game. Don't get me wrong there were parts of the story that are great and a few very nice homage’s to the last game and the game can get quite difficult at a couple points but there are not enough of these moments in the game to go against the vast bulk of filler.

Overall a good game but the story can't compensate for the game play, nor can the game play compensate for the story. This game is a second rate game made incredibly well and immaculately polished.

However an immaculately polished second rate game is still second rate.
Old 11-01-2004, 10:44 AM   #2   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

Send a message via MSN to ACE2001 Send a message via Yahoo to ACE2001
Originally Posted by MrBS
I completed the game a little over a week ago and at the end of the day - meh.

Finally Fantasy X-2 is a beautiful looking game the environments and characters within battles are stunning. Contrary to popular opinion I don't mind the music in this game at all. I might get around to buying the soundtrack at some point.

The mission based non-linear play is fun, the whole game is fun. As far as the game aspect of X-2 is concerned, you will not be disappointed. ATB is back in full force and as much as I loved the CTB system from FFX, there are no problems with ATB coming home to FF. You have a great variety of mission and there is so much to do in this game it is quite bewildering at times to decide what to do next.

As for the story/temperament of the game is concerned the 'Charlies angles' fanboy criticism is fully justified - how can any game defend itself when mid mission the girls stumble upon a hot spring and decide to kick back?

Your either going to love or hate the style of this sequel so either be very forgiving with it or don't bother - I'm not going to sugar coat this - there are many, not 'a couple', not 'a few', but many bad scenes in this game. X-2 is swamped with them. I was laughing a lot with this game but cringing about just as much.

My major gripe at the end of the day would be the lack of story in this game - story based missions probably just creep into double digits with all the rest being side quests. This isn't necessary a bad thing - some side quest can give you interesting bits of back story or side story to the main quest but the vast bulk is just doing the mission which doesn't effect the main thrust of the game at all.

My other major issue with this game is more game play orientated. X-2 is unbelievably easy. I know the FF vet will say 'but all FF games are easy' - this is true - asides from the hardcore side quests just about any FF game can be quite easy provided your not totally helpless when it comes to playing RPG's. X-2 has its difficult side quests too but they are few and far between - on the whole this game is ridiculously easy, you'll level up to high levels without even trying and just be able to stomp all enemies in the game with physical attacks. The final boss(es) were no challenge at all.

Next to no story, and next to no challenge does not make for a good game. Don't get me wrong there were parts of the story that are great and a few very nice homage’s to the last game and the game can get quite difficult at a couple points but there are not enough of these moments in the game to go against the vast bulk of filler.

Overall a good game but the story can't compensate for the game play, nor can the game play compensate for the story. This game is a second rate game made incredibly well and immaculately polished.

However an immaculately polished second rate game is still second rate.

I am currently in the second chapter right now. Almost done. I was just wondering did you get a 100% on your first time out? I tried to do that and I found myself getting peived because I missed a few missions in the first chapter. That kind of ruined my playing experience a bit, but I am still enjoying the game.

Also, Final Fantasy X-2 storyline isn't totally completed yet. You forget you still have Final Fantasy X-2+Last Mission coming out shortly in Japan, so you still have some ways to go to get the "true closure" of this game. I plan on doing the 100% game on the next one.

Of course, the game is easy to beat, the real challenge is trying to get the perfect ending....WITHOUT the strategy guide. It forms for a more interesting gaming experience. Well, I agree totally with what you said. Great game!!
ACE2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 11:39 AM   #3   [permalink]
MrBS
Forum Master

Send a message via MSN to MrBS
Originally Posted by ACE2001
I am currently in the second chapter right now. Almost done. I was just wondering did you get a 100% on your first time out? I tried to do that and I found myself getting peived because I missed a few missions in the first chapter. That kind of ruined my playing experience a bit, but I am still enjoying the game.
60hrs 85% I tried to do all I could and gave up on a couple missions and just missed the rest I guess!

Also, Final Fantasy X-2 storyline isn't totally completed yet. You forget you still have Final Fantasy X-2+Last Mission coming out shortly in Japan, so you still have some ways to go to get the "true closure" of this game. I plan on doing the 100% game on the next one.
The game is the game - last mission was not conceived when X-2 was released much like how I don't have to play X-2 to get the 'true closure' of FFX.

Of course, the game is easy to beat, the real challenge is trying to get the perfect ending....WITHOUT the strategy guide. It forms for a more interesting gaming experience. Well, I agree totally with what you said. Great game!!
yeah yeah - select 'yes I would like some cabbage' and spin around three times holding X+R1 to get another 0.2% - sure getting every little thing to get 100% is quite a challenge but it doesn't change the fact that this game is too easy.
Old 11-01-2004, 12:36 PM   #4   [permalink]
ACE2001
Forum Master

Send a message via MSN to ACE2001 Send a message via Yahoo to ACE2001
Well...from some of the information I gather from gamefaqs, Last Mission will contain over an hours worth of game play, it also states that it would be the final closure to this series. You can check for yourself. Plus if you have played and beaten the Japanese version of Final Fantasy X-2, you get to see extra scenes and dialouge that will be included in the "Last Mission." I consider Last Mission to be the final leg in the Final Fantasy X series, so that's why I say the story isn't quite done yet. I have done my homework on this one, other-wise I wouldn't even bother to get the game.

Yeah, if you just trying to breeze through the game, meaning just doing the hotspots, it'll take no time to beat the game. So in a since you are right, it's an easy game. But, the more time you invest into it, the harder it gets. Beating the game is not the challenge, the real challenege is investing time in play those "silly mini-games" or doing many side quests and all that other jazz. Well, I am going to take my time, but I can't take too much as the new one is coming out soon.
ACE2001 is offline   Reply With Quote