Old 08-12-2008, 12:33 AM   #16   [permalink]
eva2000
Administrator

Originally Posted by Black_Knight View Post
Eva2000, why don't you just turn your codes over the Johnny, he seems to have the will and way to improve AnimeBoards.com while you just sit around with your hookers and blow.
doubt that would happy AB is my baby after all
Originally Posted by Jura View Post
More stuff.

Get a custom favicon and set the sub-forums better. There's this really wonderful vBulletin mod that that shows the sub-forums under the description along with post counts, an icon, and columns. It's called Cyb - Sub-Forum Manager.

Also, why does the site no longer have affiliates or partners?
http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://animeboards.com
I was doing some looking around. <<
most affiliate sites were also other sites i owned and maintained as well, since i didn't have time to manage those sites i.e. eva2000.com and bubblegumcrisis2040.com they now just redirect to AB as well

Originally Posted by Jura View Post
Maybe fixing the bugs, allowing larger pixel size avatars, modern emoticons, removing email verification (which doesn't prevent spambots anymore), removing admin verification etc?

You have so many bot checks I'm sure the only spammers are human.

I don't get why you have the tagging system turned on when nobody is using it. You also have a similar thread feature.

When I report a post, it has email in the url. You guys should set up a forum for reports to collect. I'm sure many of the emails go to the spam bin.

The website review area doesn't seem to have reviews anymore. Just more site plugging.

Also, there's a broken image in all the user profiles I've seen.
Thanks i've fixed that user profile error so all should be good there. As to tagging system most of the AB members were here before latest vB software upgrades and such features as tagging probably weren't noticed by most folks

there's a private forum for collecting reported posts.. not sure what you mean there's an email in url though ?

Originally Posted by cool2burn View Post
Yea and hosting these days is extremely cheap but i thought Eva2k had his own server. I remember something about it dying a few years ago.
hosting still costs a pretty penny as Australian to US dollar exchange rates have dropped 30% = 50-60% increase in costs, but reason I can afford this now is due to day to day work (real life obligations) which in turn means less time for AB hehe

saying goes "Time poor, Money/Stress rich" - early days of AB, i had lots more free time but little or no income. These days having a job/work affords $$$ but alot less time

I won't address the re: moderators' statements as i already had made my statement in those regards

As to sub forums i agree that more sub forums need to be stream lined... maybe if someone would outline in writing a list of anime sub forums that:
  1. need to merging into General and other Anime - means i'll move the subforum's posts into General and other Anime
  2. need archiving - archived no new posts etc
  3. need creating i.e. popular series

I'll take that list with any adjustments I think are necessary and slowly implement that one stage at a time when i have free time.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:36 PM   #17   [permalink]
Black_Knight
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via ICQ to Black_Knight Send a message via AIM to Black_Knight Send a message via Yahoo to Black_Knight
Originally Posted by eva2000 View Post
doubt that would happy AB is my baby after all
And that is why God created child services...
-Bishop Oro
Black_Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 01:41 AM   #18   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned

As to sub forums i agree that more sub forums need to be stream lined... maybe if someone would outline in writing a list of anime sub forums that:
  1. need to merging into General and other Anime - means i'll move the subforum's posts into General and other Anime
  2. need archiving - archived no new posts etc
  3. need creating i.e. popular series
My best suggestion is to archive all sub-forums and keep only one generic anime sub-forum open until you get more activity. There's absolutely no point in creating any new sub-forums until you can get more activity because this place has died, and barely anybody (if anybody) will post in the new sub-forums.

As for the non-anime sub-forums, I've already dealt with them in my first post in this thread:

Quote:
Get rid of/archive other inactive sub-forums - specifically "General Non-Anime Discussions" (the s--- that goes there can go into "Members Only"), all the sub-forums in the "Anime General" section apart from "Anime Fan-Art/Images", all the sub-forums in the "Anime Webmasters Talk" section, "Anime Studio Guests" (since you can't even bloody post in that sub-forum anyway and the last post was over five f-ucking yrs ago), all sub-forums in the "Computing/Hardware" section, and the "Forum Requests" and "Testing Forum" sub-forums. Again, this will help make the messageboard feel more alive by cutting out the barren slums.
On a side-note, if your moderators had any clue what has happened here over the last 2-3 yrs, they would easily be able to tell you which sub-forums have died and need to be shelved. Although I must congratulate them on finally overcoming the fiendish problem of banning clint999. That must have been one hell of a Gordian knot.

I'll take that list with any adjustments I think are necessary and slowly implement that one stage at a time when i have free time.
Er .... why slowly? Is there some sort of intrinsic barrier preventing you from archiving dead sub-forums quickly? Is that some sort of ultra-difficult task that requires months of planning and execution?

You do realize that this place has died 100 times over, a large factor being the lack of significant change over the past 2-3 yrs, don't you? Look at the posting activity graph on the first post of this thread, which shows that post rates have dipped to the miserable depths again, even with NewsHound.

And here we are, discussing little changes such as deleting inactive sub-forums that should have been deleted long ago. To add insult to injury, you want to do this slowly.

I'll let you in on a secret (read: blatantly obvious fact): merging, archiving, and creating sub-forums by itself is NEVER going to be enough to improve things here. It might have worked when this place was not as crippled as it is now, but at present, this tactic is merely pissing in the wind. You need to address issues such as the crap rate at which new members' accounts are approved and the lack of activity here by existing members AT THE SAME TIME. You know, the sort of things everyone here seems to have acknowledged in many threads over the years. You need to do all this merging, archiving etc. s-hit as part of an overall strategy to lift this place. I don't see that happening. So here's a friendly reminder of the fundamental theorem of failed anime messageboards:

Failed Anime Messageboard + Pissing in the Wind Tactics + No Overall Strategy + God-awful Moderators = No Change

I'm curious to know why you even bothered asking us for a list of sub-forums to get rid of anyway, when it's painfully obvious which ones are inactive simply by looking at the dates of the last post in each sub-forum. And it's painfully obvious that you're not going to get a reply from most of the numbnuts who make up the "active" members here.

Also, try and answer this question:

Why are you content with shelling out hard-earned cash to keep a dead forum running?

Because clearly, if you are not content, you will show orders of magnitude more urgency.

Last edited by John Faulkner; 03-01-2009 at 03:21 AM.
John Faulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 11:42 AM   #19   [permalink]
cool2burn
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to cool2burn Send a message via AIM to cool2burn Send a message via Yahoo to cool2burn
Where is the change i can believe in?

http://www.willworkformunchies.com/i...yStarDance.gif
cool2burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 11:23 PM   #20   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned

Originally Posted by cool2burn View Post
Where is the change i can believe in?
Don't worry cool2burn, I'm sure Eva2k will turn up in the next couple of months and cart out the same old excuse (which I've already concluded is horseshit, see previous posts in this thread):

"Hi everyone! Well you know, partly my fault, but you know how it is, RL takes time away from you, people have lives to get on with, blah blah blah "

.... and then 6 months later, he goes and deletes a few sub-forums. And the cycle repeats.

During that time, this board will be fed a lean diet of moronic one-liners straight from an episode of Friends. Which is precisely what you expect from an anime messageboard, but on an active one, you do get the odd interesting discussion with participants able to construct a few sentences.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:21 AM   #21   [permalink]
ADdispatcher
Forum Master

I say we start a petition to give administrative power to John, and send it directly to Eva2k.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:22 AM   #22   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned

Originally Posted by ADdispatcher View Post
I say we start a petition to give administrative power to John, and send it directly to Eva2k.
Believe me, if I was in charge, things will start happening.

EDIT: Why the hell have I suddenly got 2 friend requests? Sorry dudes, I don't take much notice of that kind of stuff.

Last edited by John Faulkner; 05-01-2009 at 12:25 AM.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:24 AM   #23   [permalink]
ADdispatcher
Forum Master

Originally Posted by John Faulkner View Post
Believe me, if I was in charge, things will start happening.
...I do believe you. The quickness of your reply stands as a testament.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:30 AM   #24   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned

Originally Posted by ADdispatcher View Post
...I do believe you. The quickness of your reply stands as a testament.
It takes minimal effort to type up a reply, which is why I will always be bemused by the morons who come here and never post/only post shi-tty one-liners.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:31 AM   #25   [permalink]
ADdispatcher
Forum Master

EDIT: Why the hell have I suddenly got 2 friend requests? Sorry dudes, I don't take much notice of that kind of stuff.
Two? Well, one was me... not sure about the other.
It said "John Faulkner has not made any friends," and when it's phrased in that manner, it sounds really sad. lol
Old 27-01-2009, 09:41 PM   #26   [permalink]
Katerine

2. Increase speed at which new members are approved.

Eva2k has installed filters that has decreased the number of spam merchants signing up, but it still takes some 2-3 weeks for new members to be approved.
  • This pisses off new members and discourages them from ever posting. Don't believe me? Then hear it straight from a new member's mouth - http://www.animeboards.com/showpost....8&postcount=17.
  • It increases the number of ghost members clogging up the system and time is wasted by approving members who will never post.
Here is a simple p--- easy action point to try and remedy this situation:
  • Eva2k and/or his moderators come here once a day and approve new members. Looking at the number of new members that are signing up, this should take all of 1 minute every day.
I would like to concur with this part.

Specifically, I need to mention something:
I used to have a forum. Until my money ran out and the domain went away, but that's beside the point. And that forum had the same thing you have: a part in the registration page that asked a random question. A question that could be answered by any human, but not by a computer (e.g. "What common household pet barks and wags its tail?" or "the name of this board is ______boards (fill in the blank)"). In order to register successfully, you had to answer the question correctly.

Before I put that thing in place, I had an average of 40 spam registrations, and 10 spam posts, a day. Seriously.

After I put that thing in place... nothing. Nada. Zilch. Not a single spam registration. Not a single spam post.

You don't need to manually approve people. You've got the mechanism in place to eliminate spam already!

And, to be honest, I first registered because I had found a thread in the Fushigi Yuugi forum that I wanted to post to! I had something in mind already that I wanted to say! That desire to post (not to mention, most of my memory of exactly what I was going to post) had vanished by the next day. By a week and a half later, I was feeling rather disgusted. It wasn't until today - several days after I was activated - that I just happened to have another day where I felt like posting. I was just going to forget about this forum.

If you want to get people hooked on this forum, they need immediate gratification. That means being able to post, when they want to post. When they find this board. Not 10 days later.

--

Also, this is the only board that I know of, which insists on non-free email accounts. That was almost a turn-off for me right there. I don't like giving out my paid email address, which a) is subject to change, and b) tells people what my ISP is and leaves me a little more vulnerable to identity theft.

Again, the restriction is unnecessary. You only need the "answer this human question" plug-in. That will eliminate your spam, right there. I speak from experience. Especially if you have multiple questions, and have the system choose one at random. Just make sure that the answer is not present in the question itself... sometimes computers can guess multiple-choice questions. Otherwise, they can't do it.

[ETA]
To be fair, I should probably mention that my own boards, when I had them, were phpbb based, so I can only speak for how well the plug-in for phpbb worked. I don't know if the vBulletin plug-in works as efficiently. I do know that it's definitely worth a shot. If it doesn't work, you'll know within a week, and you can put things back the way they were before. If it does work, not only will people be able to post as soon as they want to, but it'll take a major load off of the administrator's shoulders as well, to no longer have to manually approve people. Definitely worth trying it out. Especially since "being able to post within an hour of registering" is something internet users kind of take for granted nowadays, and not being able to do that is likely causing most prospective participants to leave in disgust before the first post. Unfortunate, but true.

Last edited by Katerine; 27-01-2009 at 10:05 PM.
Katerine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2009, 01:31 AM   #27   [permalink]
eva2000
Administrator

Hi Katerine thanks for your feedback..

brings up a point for maybe trialing unmoderated registrations for a month and see what the spam level is at

but free email addresses is a pain and for anyone who owns a large member based forum will know, dealing with aftermath of abandoned or bouncing email addresses is alot more hassle afterwards!
Old 28-01-2009, 05:12 AM   #28   [permalink]
cool2burn
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to cool2burn Send a message via AIM to cool2burn Send a message via Yahoo to cool2burn

brings up a point for maybe trialing unmoderated registrations for a month and see what the spam level is at

but free email addresses is a pain and for anyone who owns a large member based forum will know, dealing with aftermath of abandoned or bouncing email addresses is alot more hassle afterwards!
The problem with that is most people dont have paid E-mail accounts i mean with Yahoo and Google's extremely large storage there really is no need for them for 95% of people.

Also alot of anime fans are teenagers and college students that do not have the cash for these paid accounts.

Lastly Paid accounts get abandoned just as much as non paid maybe even more because they are paid and people dont always have the cash fr them.

So i really think you should allow free e-mail accounts. It just dosent make sense not to.

http://www.willworkformunchies.com/i...yStarDance.gif
cool2burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2009, 10:12 AM   #29   [permalink]
Katerine

I have had my Yahoo account for almost a decade. I will continue to have my Yahoo account, even if I decide to change my ISP. This cannot be said for my paid account.

Plus, I forgot to mention the third reason the "paid email account" was a turnoff for me - I'm a member of a LOT of fan forums. And like I said, I don't like giving out my ISP email account. So I always use the Yahoo account for all of those forums. When logging in, it's kind of hard to remember my paid email account, since I never use it.

To reiterate: you should just need the "answer this human question" plug-in to eliminate spam. I've never encountered a spam problem with that plug-in.

(Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse here; I don't actually have much way of knowing if you're already planning to change the registration policy. Just in case... ) I understand, probably better than most, the frustration of dealing with spam by yourself, especially when the spam posts outnumber the real posts 10:1. But it's also true that any fan forum, regardless of its subject matter, is going to have trouble getting new posters if the forum makes them answer a human question, and also makes them decipher a graphic, and provide an email address that they themselves would like to consider restricted, then makes them activate their account via email, and then makes them wait before they can post.

Actually, most of these things are standard on fan forums. It's just the "making them wait" that's the killer. The length of time is irrelevant. If someone is going to the trouble of registering for an account (and the accompanying "keeping track of the account and their password somewhere"), it's very likely that the reason they are registering is because there is something that they want to post now. So... even if the "human answer" doesn't eliminate all of the spam (and I'd be surprised if it doesn't, at least as well as moderating)... in that case, you'd have to make a choice. Which do you want? No spam? Or a living board?

Last edited by Katerine; 28-01-2009 at 10:41 AM.
Katerine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2009, 09:24 PM   #30   [permalink]
Darkandiel

Send a message via MSN to Darkandiel

I'm a moderator on a much larger VB site than this(one that is busy), and a much smaller site as well (that has died like AB). I won't mention which ones here. I'll tell you, we get a certain amount of spambots, but it's not hard to deal with. Users themselves use the report button, which helps the moderators in dealing with the ones we don't see.

Puttting a question in the registration that only a human can answer works wonders. It cuts down on the number of bots that get on. I used my student account to sign up here. That account will probably expire soon because I've graduated from uni. Okay, I could set up an e-mail on my own website, but not everyone has that luxury. You need to be getting a lot more new members because only a small number out of every hundred or so registrations will stick around. Free e-mail accounts will attract more members. If I hadn't got a student account I never would have signed up.

You could turn off PM notification e-mails by default, that way, only users who want to get them could switch them on themselves. I personally don't like getting those e-mails. I switch them off because I check the forum, not my e-mail to see if I got new PMs.

I think that it wouldn't hurt for you to have a couple of secondary admins to help you out. Perhaps someone on the current staff who you trust and who has the expertise. I dunno, just a thought. It seems like such a large forum to not have some help with it. I was really surprised to see only one admin on here.
Darkandiel is offline   Reply With Quote