Old 27-08-2008, 06:14 AM   #16   [permalink]
clint999
Banned

Yeah one reason it's a clean board besides lack of new member posts is I'm proactively screened new members and banned most spam bots and trolls before they can even post on the boards. AB's potential is still there I agree

I understand what you mean, just it's hard for me to let go and give such power on the current version of forum software. Once the forums are upgraded in terms of software it would have a higher possibility of happening but as I stated, the upgrade process is pretty time consuming for jumping from modified vB 3.0.x version to 4 generations ahead to latest vB 3.7.x forum software (which is in continuing beta/release candidate phase right now - so not just one upgrade will be done to get to final release) - which I need to put aside some considerable free time to implement - time which I don't have right now as it's preoccupied with other obligations.

I think the comment of other moderators isn't that they can't be bothered anymore, but it's the same thing as what I'm experiencing - real life obligations do get in the way and most of the time will take priority above some forms of online activity.

I guess you can say it comes down to a bit of poor time management from myself.. but you know how real life and stuff can get in the way of what you want to do versus what you need to/or obligated to do.
clint999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 11:51 PM   #17   [permalink]
Black_Knight
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via ICQ to Black_Knight Send a message via AIM to Black_Knight Send a message via Yahoo to Black_Knight
Seriously George, I know you're a busy man, but stop ------- around get a project going since the only new posts we've had is in the RP forum, what the hell man? Either start advertising or let some bots in to spam people's PM again since it brought them back the first time.
-Bishop Oro
Black_Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 09:58 AM   #18   [permalink]
eva2000
Administrator

Originally Posted by Black_Knight View Post
Seriously George, I know you're a busy man, but stop ------- around get a project going since the only new posts we've had is in the RP forum, what the hell man? Either start advertising or let some bots in to spam people's PM again since it brought them back the first time.
While i understand your point, but promoting/advertising the forums isn't a sole responsibility of the owner. There's always a part members like yourself can do as well as John Faulkner touched on in the weakness list above

I can say the rate of new signs has declined since upgrading to vB 3.7.x series as the anti-spam measures have been very effective in preventing spammers/spambots etc from registering in the first place - since 1 in 6 new sign ups turn out to be spambots
Old 06-09-2008, 05:19 PM   #19   [permalink]
Black_Knight
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via ICQ to Black_Knight Send a message via AIM to Black_Knight Send a message via Yahoo to Black_Knight
The maybe we can create some spam bots to advertise the site? At this point it'll be better than nothing.

Or perhaps we can get that Pokemon or Hentai forum?
-Bishop Oro
Old 07-09-2008, 12:33 PM   #20   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned

Originally Posted by Black_Knight View Post
Seriously George, I know you're a busy man, but stop ------- around get a project going since the only new posts we've had is in the RP forum, what the hell man?
I think you should direct this at the existing members other than the admin. We've pushed Eva2k for change for a long time and he's already delivered the changes. Granted, the changes don't go far enough, but if you're looking for more activity, you've got to look at the other side of the equation, which is posting activity by current members.

Going back to that delightful "Town Meeting" (which was an attempt to get a project going) we had, the general consensus was that people can't be arsed to post more. The basic views were:
  • We need to do something but I can't be arsed to post more even though that would help
  • I am content with the Great Wall of Silence here and hence can't be arsed posting more
  • I think this place will continue to limp along with a backwards post-rate for all eternity (which is not guaranteed by any means) and hence I will use that as an excuse to not post more
  • I couldn't give a ----
  • I'm willing to post more but looking at the lack of enthusiasm shown by other people, I think I'd just let this place rot a bit more - i.e. I can't be arsed posting more

In other words, nobody is prepared to walk the walk.

Add to this the moderators upholding their incorrigible vow of silence, and you're left with an online community with a systematic inability to start intelligible discussions. Although I'm not sure whether this is worse than other messageboards with a lot more activity, but also with a lot more inane mentally-retarded crap. I can't decide what's worse.

Originally Posted by eva2000
I can say the rate of new signs has declined since upgrading to vB 3.7.x series as the anti-spam measures have been very effective in preventing spammers/spambots etc from registering in the first place - since 1 in 6 new sign ups turn out to be spambots
According to the graph in this thread: http://www.animeboards.com/showthread.php?t=60529, the rate of people signing up has decreased by about 8-10-fold, so there appears to be a much higher proportion of droids trying to sign up.

Speaking of spam, check out clint999, who has posted in this thread. Shouldn't the mods be weeding out these robots?

Last edited by John Faulkner; 07-09-2008 at 03:02 PM.
John Faulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2009, 11:24 AM   #21   [permalink]
Seifer_fan

Quote:
In other words, nobody is prepared to walk the walk.

Quote:
The maybe we can create some spam bots to advertise the site?
i am prepared to walk the walk, and even talk the talk.

Spam bots will only annoy and even ---- off some people. we don't want them to do that. It will just make us look even worse. We do not want that, although i am not a moderator, i am prepared to make AB a better place to post and maybe even "hang-out" while e-mailing and posting to friends on this site that is quickly going to ruin. We really need to help out in any way we can. Thank you to anybody who Read this post, i hope you to are ready to make the same effort to help out in the rebuilding of this site.
Old 17-07-2009, 06:19 AM   #22   [permalink]
Jura

It really is mostly the staff's responsiblity to advertise. Members are like customers. You give them what they want and people will tell others and link to here.

This forum has outdated anime sub-forums, runs on software that isn't modern, and has settings that the modern average user won't like. Avatar size is a perfect example. Or just look at the chaotic reply/new topic page.

You guys have so much competition out there.
Jura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2009, 12:22 PM   #23   [permalink]
Seifer_fan

ahhh shut up!!! If you don't like it so much than leave, that is all we are all working to fix!....... jeez!.
Old 17-07-2009, 05:23 PM   #24   [permalink]
Project Akira
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via AIM to Project Akira
Originally Posted by Seifer_fan View Post
ahhh shut up!!! If you don't like it so much than leave, that is all we are all working to fix!....... jeez!.
Actually he's making many fair assessment's about the site. There's a lot of room for improvement for the boards on a technical level. I also recommend Seifer_fan that if we're trying to keep people posting here, encouraging them to leave is a bad idea.

Originally Posted by Jura View Post
It really is mostly the staff's responsiblity to advertise. Members are like customers. You give them what they want and people will tell others and link to here.
We've been trying over the last year or so to get the boards running back to a normal level. Right now we're sort of figuring out what we can do. Any constructive suggestions that you might have would be greatly appreciated.

Quote:
This forum has outdated anime sub-forums,
We're in the middle of trying to organize which forums need to be archived and which ones will stay. Any suggestions that you can make can be directed to this thread.

Quote:
runs on software that isn't modern, and has settings that the modern average user won't like. Avatar size is a perfect example.
Vbulletin out of date? I'm pretty sure that Gaiaonline uses something similar to Vbulletin and that's a exponentially larger forum than here. I do agree with the avatar size but the reason for that is George is more or less paying for this out his own pocket and bandwidth isn't cheap. However, I have had some problems uploading avatars myself. I recommend addressing that issue in a separate thread.

Quote:
You guys have so much competition out there.
Yeah but we're working on bring ourselves back up to snuff.
Project Akira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2009, 06:42 PM   #25   [permalink]
Seifer_fan

he is being a really negative person, how are we supposed to make this site better with negative people here, i am not encouraging him to leave, i am trying to help out in any way i can. But i see your point that he is pointing out quite a few little technical problems that do need to be fixed.
Old 18-07-2009, 12:53 AM   #26   [permalink]
Jura

Gaia runs on a very customized and very old version of phpBB2. o.o

Negative people point out things instead of ignoring them.

If I didn't like this place, I wouldn't have joined. I do like the webmaster-ish forums and the fact the place isn't based all around illegal anime downloads.

Follow me on Twitter
Anime Capture - Anime Screenshots

Last edited by Jura; 18-07-2009 at 12:55 AM.
Old 19-07-2009, 12:49 AM   #27   [permalink]
Pen2
Senior Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Pen2
E2k works for vBulletin so I think we can safely put the suggesting he spend untold hours porting over to a different forum software he's not familiar with to rest.

As to the rest, well, that's just like, your opinion man.
Pen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2009, 05:22 PM   #28   [permalink]
Black_Knight
V.I.P. Member

Originally Posted by Jura View Post
Gaia
Stopped reading there.

Noticing the skin change though, I invoke the 'You changed it, now it sucks' rule.
-Bishop Oro
Old 21-07-2009, 04:17 PM   #29   [permalink]
Jura

Why would you stop reading the post if it really wasn't about Gaia?

It's not my opinion about avatars or sub-forums. Most of those series don't have any buzz or new content that people can discuss.

Follow me on Twitter
Anime Capture - Anime Screenshots