Old 25-03-2001, 09:57 PM   #1   [permalink]
Mycroft

Is it just me or do they pick English voice actors who can not sing to save their lives. Case in point, In Slayer's Next the voice actors for both Lina and Amelia sing so bad that even the dub switches to Japanese for the full rendition of the song of "Divine Protection". Another case in point is Melfina, or we could move to Ranma (female-type) or ....

-Mycroft
Old 26-03-2001, 02:23 AM   #2   [permalink]
Tenkawa
Executive Member

And that's a big reason why I avoid dubs like the plague.... that said, part of the problem is that when they do the songs in English a lot of times they try to translate it technically but not poetically. So the songs sounds awkward.

Tenkawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2001, 10:38 AM   #3   [permalink]
ATh
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Send a message via ICQ to ATh
Some of the Tenchi songs are pretty good, Though i think im thinking solely of the ones sung by Sasami.

The Pretty Sammy songs are pretty good as well.

However if you want true hights of bad singing find stuff that Minmei sung in Robotech.

I think the song titles

My time to be a star

can send shivers down a dead mans spin

(and ironically when she sings a bit that goes something like- "i cant believe ive come this far" i cant stop myself from saying, well your not the only one!

ATh
ATh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2001, 01:09 PM   #4   [permalink]
Asuza_chan
Forum Addicted

Well, none of them can friggin act, so i suppose it would be too much to ask for them to be able to sing.

"I used to get high on life, but I built up a tolearnce to it eventually."
Asuza_chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2001, 02:08 PM   #5   [permalink]
Foryth
Forum Master

Send a message via MSN to Foryth
Well, they don't have our lovable and huggable(okay you can remove the huggable part^^; ) seiyuus like Ogata Megumi, so bleh...
Old 26-03-2001, 07:57 PM   #6   [permalink]
Mycroft

Well I wouldn't say that not all English VA cannot act. It just seems that way for most of the older titles. However things are looking better. I would say that ther is more variance in timbre and tone in the English VA's than can be found in Japanese VA (I will admit this is my own personal bias). I point out that seems very obvious in Cowboy Bebop particularly in the episode where they introduce Ed. The Walla there was pretty good, they actually had a guy who gave a very good Peter Lorrie impersonation, and guy with decent Indian accent. (still Ed was annoying) I don't hear anything approaching that in sub. One other thing I will say about Cowboy Bebop that is I think that the type of voice chosen for Faye is fits the character in the dub instead of the sub. I will also say the same for Spike, but not as strongly. It?s just too bad they haven?t gotten around to hiring people who can act and sing.

-Mycroft
Old 27-03-2001, 12:10 AM   #7   [permalink]
Amelia
Forum Addicted

Send a message via AIM to Amelia
Why even TRY to replace the bautiful Megumi Hayashibara? She's so good, that it's pittiful when the american va for Lina Inverse even tries. :
Amelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2001, 01:21 AM   #8   [permalink]
snowcherry
Forum Elite

Send a message via AIM to snowcherry
All I have to say on this topic is this: the Magic Knight Rayearth dubbed opening. I think my ears bled at the first line: "Hooooooold onnnnnn, to the drEEEEEEEEEEEam..." Christ almighty, she literally sounds like she's holding her nose.
Old 01-04-2001, 01:23 AM   #9   [permalink]
bbc0
Banned

Its really bad when Priss signs in English in episode 4 of 2040
bbc0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2001, 04:28 PM   #10   [permalink]
Asuza_chan
Forum Addicted

Quote:
Originally posted by snowcherry
All I have to say on this topic is this: the Magic Knight Rayearth dubbed opening. I think my ears bled at the first line: "Hooooooold onnnnnn, to the drEEEEEEEEEEEam..." Christ almighty, she literally sounds like she's holding her nose.
Omigod! Wasn't that just awful?!?!? And the original version of that was actually pretty cool, and they had to go and do that to it! It was as if the singer was trying desperately to sound like the Japanese singer and failing miserably!

"I used to get high on life, but I built up a tolearnce to it eventually."
Asuza_chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2001, 11:12 PM   #11   [permalink]
kagura

Send a message via AIM to kagura Send a message via Yahoo to kagura
a very good song is sobakasu (freckles) from rurouni kenshin...
a very BAD song is the dubbed version of same.
i'm scared.... make it go away...

please.....

i think there's an english song of ranma1/2's 'jajauma ni sasenaide' (or something) oh light, i don't even want to think about it!

and yes, i agree, english VAs can't act, so who could expect them to do good voices, much less sing well...

oh god! lina and amelia's 'otome no inori'!! aaaauuggghhhhhhh i'm dying~~~ [keels over]

dubbing is evil and whoever disagrees with me can burn!!
~kagura hime

-"Sometimes, we just can't all join our hands and sing 'we are the world.'"

-"They're all here. All the things which had uses. All the mountains which had names. And we'll never be able to use them without feeling uncomfortable. And somehow the mountains will never sound right to us; we'll give them new names, but the old names are there, somewhere in time, and the mountains were shaped and seen under those names. The names we'll give the canals and mountains and cities will fall like so much water on the back of a mallard. No matter how we touch Mars, we'll never touch it. And then we'll get mad at it, and you know what we'll do? We'll rip it up, rip the skin off, and change it to fit ourselves." -The Martian Chronicles, Ray Bradbury
kagura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2001, 10:02 AM   #12   [permalink]
heerogf
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to heerogf Send a message via Yahoo to heerogf
the rurouni kenshin va i think is good, they did the ending song very nicely, the guy got a great voice even though i like the original yellow monkey better and the song stay true to the original
heerogf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2001, 09:29 PM   #13   [permalink]
Doku-beibi
Forum Addicted

Send a message via AIM to Doku-beibi
Snowcherry and Azusa, I think we're sharing a soul, here...

I got the first tape of that dubbed for my 12th birthday....HOLY LORD, WHY?~!!!

"Hooooooold OOOOn....to the drEEEEEEEAm, tomorROW knooooooooows whERe and WHE~E~E~En.."

I took the tape out of the VCR and smashed it...I told the girl who gave it to me that it broke, and she took it back...when she exchanged it, she got the sub, THANK GODDESS...
Old 17-04-2001, 11:55 PM   #14   [permalink]
Mika-chan
Executive Member

Send a message via AIM to Mika-chan
I'm not a fan of the English version of Ai no Tenshi from Perfect Blue...

I think one of the reasons why English VA's can't sing is because in most cases, it's a small part of their job. In Japan, some seiyuu perform show openings and closings, and other random songs in the show, and in the English version, I guess they find other people to perform openings, closings, etc.

But that's just what I think!
Old 18-04-2001, 08:46 PM   #15   [permalink]
snowcherry
Forum Elite

Send a message via AIM to snowcherry
Quote:
Originally posted by Mika-chan
I think one of the reasons why English VA's can't sing is because in most cases, it's a small part of their job.
But the really sad thing is that the woman who sang the MKR dubbed opening is actually a professional singer. I hope to God I never stumble upon her band.

I have a friend who really likes the MKR dub--including the opening. I still think maybe she has hearing problems.