Old 12-09-2003, 12:07 AM   #1   [permalink]
APF
Forum Elite

Send a message via AIM to APF
DVDsoon.com?

Has anybody ever ordered from this site? They have a lot of great prices listed on DVDpricesearch.com, but they only have a 2 star rating...
APF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2003, 08:39 PM   #2   [permalink]
AnkaraStark
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to AnkaraStark Send a message via AIM to AnkaraStark Send a message via MSN to AnkaraStark
I would have considered purchasing items from that site, but I really don't feel like paying $30.98 for one Rurouni Kenshin DVD...
AnkaraStark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2003, 10:09 PM   #3   [permalink]
APF
Forum Elite

That's odd, most of the DVDs there are 2-3$ less than the average site...
Old 17-09-2003, 10:19 PM   #4   [permalink]
AnkaraStark
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to AnkaraStark Send a message via AIM to AnkaraStark Send a message via MSN to AnkaraStark
... Yes, and a lot of the DVD sites out there are overpriced as well.
AnkaraStark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2003, 03:40 AM   #5   [permalink]
Ctuchik

You should try Right Stuf International. There prices are cheaper then that DVDsoon.com
http://www.rightstuf.com
Ctuchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2003, 01:01 PM   #6   [permalink]
Nilrem
Executive Member

i've used DVDsoon a few times, for pre-orders they can be much cheaper than TRSI allowing for shipping charges (remember TRSI charge $15 US for the first item in every order, DVDsoon have free shipping and a similar discount for pre-orders).

Remember DVDsoon defualts to giving prices in Canadian dollars (about the same as the Aus at the moment), TRSI gives them in American dollars.

One word of warning though, DVDsoon charge your card as soon as you order.

An example is
TRSI - Love Hina Movie box set $53 + $15 USD (about 41 GBP or $100 Aus)
DVDSoon Love Hina Movie box set $64 CAD with free standard shipping* (about 29 GBP or $70aus)

Another example is the Karo Kano set
TRSI have it at $117 US + $15 shipping (78 GBP or $190 Aus)
DVDsoon had it for $92 Cad for preorder (45 or $102 aus) - but it's now at $100 Cad (about $115 aus)

Both are examples based on orders i've made with DVDsoon.

Never assume one retailer is always cheaper than another, chances are they will be cheaper in some circumstances but not others

My one complaint is that DVDsoon's packaging isn't as good as TRSI's - not that either of my DVDsoon orders have arrived any more damaged than any of my TRSI orders

*which takes about 5-7 days on average to reach me in the U.K. (about the same as the average shipping time from DVDBoxoffice, and TRSI)
Nilrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2003, 08:32 PM   #7   [permalink]
Ctuchik

Secondly what about the store on this particular forum?
Ctuchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2003, 04:06 PM   #8   [permalink]
Dr0nak
Forum Junkie

Send a message via AIM to Dr0nak Send a message via Yahoo to Dr0nak
Robert's Anime Corner Store you mean? I ordered from them once, to get the Dual series (which unfortunately had a boxed set announced only 2-3 days after I ordered). They were fast. Part of it could be location; I think they're in NY and I'm in MD, but I believe they shipped the order the day after I placed it and it arrived a day or two later. They were so fast that I didn't even have a chance to cancel the order once I did read the announcement about the boxed set. A case where being fast worked to my detriment instead of my benefit. Heh.

Regarding Right Stuf -- I've ordered a few things from them. They seem to be a tad slow in filling orders and getting them shipped out. If prices were essentially the same for them and some other store, if I needed/wanted the item ASAP I'd order from the other store. Shipping costs must be different to the UK though, Nilrem, because I think my orders at TRSI only cost around $5 for S&H. Never ordered from DVDsoon.com. I'd rather have a few places that I order from than tons of different places, registering lots of accounts, just to save $1-2 on an item. I'd prefer to spend the extra dollar or two at a store I already bought from, am familiar with, and know what to expect.
Dr0nak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2003, 06:42 PM   #9   [permalink]
Nilrem
Executive Member

aye Dronak, TRSI charge $15 for the first item, and $3 for additional ones to the U.K. as opposed to something like $5 and $1 for the U.S. (not to mention free shipping/partial shipping).

I have to agree with keeping to the same suppliers where possible, my main problem is finding suppliers that are reliable (that rules out DVDPlanet - still waiting for them to ship hack//sign 4le despite it being "instock"), reasonablly cheap for smaller orders (that initial $15 charge hurts on a disk with an RRP or under about $100 unless there is a big discount), and are unlikely to get hit for customs

i've used about 15+ online DVD stores to date*, but only use 3 of them repeatedly for normal orders (one in each of the U.S. U.K. and Aus) for the above reasons.

I've got a large printout of my login/passwords for various online retailers in my bank statement folder, and keep records of how fast/reliable they all are for each order i place (it's helpfull to know that retailer X normally takes 5-7 days in transit, or Retailer Y normally fills a limited edition order even if they don't ship untill the saturday after release)

I'll have to give Roberts Anime store a go sometime, they look to have a pretty nice selection and some good prices

*to date i've tried (off the top of my head) - remember these are to the U.K.

UK

Streetsonlince.com (first online order was very good at first- bankrupt now)

Play.com - normally very fast, great CS and good prices

Tesco.com

Amazon.co.uk

U.S./Canada

TRSI - good for bargain packs, shipping to the U.K. rules them out for normal DVD's

DVDplanet - very slow recently (unless they pick up i won't be using them again)

DVDboxoffice - my normal supplier, can be slow but free shipping (and no customs) more than makes up for their higher than average "upfront" prices (prior to shipping/handling).
They've not let me down, even on LE items - i got Ai Yori + box a month + after it's release, same with Love Hina 1 + box and a number of pre-ordered LE's.

<a href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redirect-home/georgesingloonli" target="_blank">Amazon.com</a> - high-ish shipping and garunteed customs hit = bad for U.K. but good for U.S.

Amazon.ca - see .com

DVDsoon - low prices (at least for pre-orders) and shipping, but charge card when the order is placed, can be slow at shipping.

PlayUSA.com - play.com's R1 section - likely customs hit, free shipping, good CS

Movietyme - pretty good, but from memory they charge upfront.

Australia

familyboxoffice.com.au (or is it fbo.com.au?) - pretty good

atlanticdvd.com.au - pretty good, my normal R4 supplier

devoted.com.au - ok, reasonable CS, but can be slow

Last edited by Nilrem; 20-10-2003 at 06:46 PM.
Old 20-10-2003, 10:53 PM   #10   [permalink]
dheu
Forum Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to dheu
When I order anime online, I just stick with Robert's Anime Store. The prices are good, and the service is awesome, like Dr0nak said. By far the fastest supplier I've seen. I think their main store is actually located smack-dab in the middle of the US, not in NY, but I don't know where their warehouses are. Anyway, fast service, good prices and selection, and I know I'm not buying a bootleg because they refuse to sell them. I rarely buy online, but when I do I order from them.

dheu
dheu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2003, 04:59 AM   #11   [permalink]
Gryshnak
Forum Junkie

Quote:
Originally posted by Nilrem
*to date i've tried (off the top of my head) - remember these are to the U.K.

UK

Streetsonline.com (first online order was very good at first- bankrupt now)

Play.com - normally very fast, great CS and good prices

Tesco.com

Amazon.co.uk
I recently bought DVDs from www.dc-dvd.com (who have an excellent selection of R1 DVDs) and www.archonia.com in Belgium, and both were very good. I'd be happy to shop with either of them again.
Gryshnak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2003, 11:55 AM   #12   [permalink]
kusinagi-kun
Forum Addicted

Send a message via AIM to kusinagi-kun Send a message via Yahoo to kusinagi-kun
i'm a fan of

http://animeniacs.com

these guys do everything right. price, shipping, packaging... i vowed never to buy anime from anywhere else

now, keep in mind that these are Region 0s (aka HK DVDs) and their quality is only slightly down from the Region 1s
kusinagi-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2003, 02:41 PM   #13   [permalink]
Nilrem
Executive Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gryshnak
I recently bought DVDs from www.dc-dvd.com (who have an excellent selection of R1 DVDs) and www.archonia.com in Belgium, and both were very good. I'd be happy to shop with either of them again.

i'd forgotten about archonia.com i've used them a couple of times for things like t-shirts, fast and reliable
Old 05-11-2003, 01:57 PM   #14   [permalink]
APF
Forum Elite

alright, I'm definantly going to try this store... their Berserk prices blow everyone else out of the water.