Old 15-09-2003, 08:56 PM   #31   [permalink]
Final_Eschelon
Executive Member

I can't beleive I'm reviving this thread, but I need to vent on this one. Totally spies is the end result of American TV producers realizing that anime does in fact sell insanely well here in the States. The result of American TV producers' willingness to cash in on what they now see as a very lucrative demographic -anime fans- is that they are now saying to themselves "Hey, let's make our own anime-style shows! They'll be great sellers and we can have product spin-offs and oh gee whiz it'll be swell!"

I don't have any problem with them doing this. Heck, shows like Teen Titans have actually managed to not suck and be pretty good. Yes, it is a little infused with some cliches such as intensely obvious villains and heroes and the wonderful American tendency to eliminate any subtleties from animation aimed at young teenagers. But it works. It's actually humorous! I watch it sometimes and don't feel compelled to immediately switch to something better like, oh I don't know, the Home Shopping Network.

Totally Spies, on the other hand, most definitely does not work.

It's like watching a Saturday morning cartoon, only it feels like a Monday morning when you have to go to school and the cartoon feels like every modern American animation cliche ever with an anime mask pulled over its face.

Totally Spies is the tragic result of a mixing accident in which the worst of James Bond, Austin Powers, The Powerpuff Girls, and Japanese animation were hurled into a putrid vat of cliche juice and spat out into the living rooms of American cable viewers. Watching Totally Spies makes me want to beat the focus group who thought it up to death with their own bloody, forcibly amputated limbs. Even if it is the same group that thought up Teen Titans, there can be no redemption for them.

In short, don't watch Totally Spies. It sucks the big one like a cheap $5 crack ho. Then it gives you an STD and steals your kidneys after it beats you unconcious and puts you in a bathtub full of ice with a cell phone.

- Captain Murphy, "Sealab 2021"

Last edited by Final_Eschelon; 15-09-2003 at 08:58 PM.
Final_Eschelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2003, 05:43 AM   #32   [permalink]
Gryshnak
Forum Junkie

I take it you don't like TS then?
Gryshnak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2003, 05:35 PM   #33   [permalink]
gawl
Executive Member

Not only do I watch TS, I also like it, but I don't watch it because of its anime characteristics; I watch it because it is a fun, light hearted show. I didn't watch it because I thought, "TS looks like a lot like anime. I am going to watch it then." I don't think anyone watches TS for that reason.
gawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2003, 10:35 PM   #34   [permalink]
Black_Knight
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via ICQ to Black_Knight Send a message via AIM to Black_Knight Send a message via Yahoo to Black_Knight
Is it me, or am I the only one who belives that Kenichi Sonoda had a hand in or inspired the disigns for the three main characters?
-Bishop Oro
Black_Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2003, 02:54 AM   #35   [permalink]
DraniX
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Eddy

i am amazed at just how "anime-ish" the style is, they've obviously deliberately used some slapstick cliches like the big sweatdrop, the everyone-fall-over-when-bad-joke-is-told-pratfall, the anime blush and of course the large flashing backgrounds when someone jumps or punches.
And don't forget the big gaping mouths whenever they get surprised or scream or whatever. I think the Jackie Chan Adventures series also does something like that with their Jade character.
"Disgusting."
DraniX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2003, 02:02 PM   #36   [permalink]
Final_Eschelon
Executive Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Black_Knight
Is it me, or am I the only one who belives that Kenichi Sonoda had a hand in or inspired the disigns for the three main characters?
I am a huge fan of Sonoda and his character designs. I got a large number of anime titles simply because he did work on the characters for them. I also have an extensive collection of downloaded art as well as the Sonoda Artworks book detailing most of his more well-known works from 1983 to 1997.

That being said, I have watched about 3 episodes of TS and can safely say that Sonoda had no involvement whatsoever with this series. Besides, I think he works more on manga nowdays than anything else. I don't know of any other projects he is working on currently other than Cannon God Exxaxion, but I do know that he never added so much as a penstroke to the crappy designs in TS.

- Captain Murphy, "Sealab 2021"
Final_Eschelon is offline   Reply With Quote