Old 09-09-2003, 09:18 PM   #46   [permalink]
oppa
Forum Junkie

Now there's something I never thought I'd see... a comparison of Last Exile and Love Hina.

Anyway, this series if finally close to climaxing... I'm going nuts waiting for more. I have a very bad inkling that something quite tragic will happen before the series completes...
Old 10-09-2003, 07:47 PM   #47   [permalink]
oppa
Forum Junkie

Damn episode 23...

SPOILER:

I had a feeling Moran would die, but not so soon...

...hrm.

Last edited by oppa; 10-09-2003 at 07:48 PM.
oppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 01:33 AM   #48   [permalink]
Westlo
Forum Master

Hey oppa where would you rate Last Exile out of all the fansub series your watching currently?
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 02:02 AM   #49   [permalink]
oppa
Forum Junkie

Using this list, I'd definitely put it in the top five. There's a lot of story and character development in the better part of the first 2/3s of the series, but now that it's really into the meat of the story, it's gotten much more interesting. Then again, that could be said for nearly all anime series', but meh.

Either or, this one, One Piece, Scrapped Princess, and the soon-to-be-released Read or Die TV are the ones I anticipate the most as of now.
Old 12-09-2003, 04:33 PM   #50   [permalink]
Timon
Forum Addicted

Send a message via ICQ to Timon Send a message via AIM to Timon Send a message via MSN to Timon Send a message via Yahoo to Timon
Man, don't you just want to stab that Delphine in the eye with a fork after 23?
They sure did a good job making a very despicable villian

Too bad there's not more of Alex (you could say he's... pretty "tied up"? EHEHEHEH), he's so awesome.
The combat was completely breathtaking too, cept that last part was kinda corny, but damn, Guild's got moves

SPOILERS for Wolf's Rain and Last Exile!

Alex reminds me of Darcia from Wolf's Rain (Darcia was my favorite character from that one too...), both the strong shadowy tortured male with lots of history going after the woman who killed their loved ones, but are lurking in the background of the story for the most part until the end where they (well I can only hope in Last Exile's case) own up the insane witch.

Last edited by Timon; 12-09-2003 at 04:39 PM.
Timon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 01:14 AM   #51   [permalink]
oppa
Forum Junkie

Just finished watching the series. I have to say, I'm highly anticipating watching this series again once the DVDs get released. I'm glad Gonzo redeemed themselves after the mishap with Kiddy Grade. Okok, I'm not being fair because I haven't seen past ep. 2, but from what I hear, it doesn't look like my opinion would change much had I watched it all.

Having watched Gundam Seed's ending, you could say that I really enjoyed the end of LE. I was let down with GS's ending, but LE's ending made me feel much better and much more satisfied.

I'm glad they didn't get all philosophical and ---- with LE's ending. I hate it when anime do that. You could watch something that has hardly any real thinking involved, and they close it off with some bs "thinking" ending that really just confuses the viewers.

Anyway, I give this anime an A. Straight up. Loved it.

Some spoilers you can read only if you've finished the series...

My only complaint is that I got a bit lost as to what Exile really was and what it did. After watching the ending, I know what it ended up doing, but they kept it's powers in the dark up until the last episode... explained nothing at all. Other than that, I can't say I have any other complaints.

Just for the record, in case the obviousness of what Exile did was so obvious I didn't get it right, I wanna double check what it did. It cleared the skies and essentially united all the "divisions" of the nations. Basically, turned their planet which was separated by the Grand Stream and such into one whole planet. Right? That sounds right.

Last edited by oppa; 03-10-2003 at 01:29 AM.
oppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 01:56 PM   #52   [permalink]
Timon
Forum Addicted

Send a message via ICQ to Timon Send a message via AIM to Timon Send a message via MSN to Timon Send a message via Yahoo to Timon
ENDING SPOILERS~~~

Ya, that sounds about right. It was kinda abstract and confusing the way they showed Exile at the end, did it go off into space or something? Is it an actual ship or just a huge device? Then there's the question of where it all came from in the first place (well from another planet, of course, but like, did it create the Grand Stream in the first place?)
Anyway, despite all that it was very pretty to look at and emotional and lovely music so I was like "I don't really know what the hell is going on now but I don't care! It's too lovely!"

But was that Moran in the field of wheat at the end? It really really really looks like him... don't think it was one of the mechanics. Did Exile bring him back to life or was he not that hurt in the first place? or?

And I couldn't believe the way they killed Dio, I mean, damn. He's really tragic, him and Luciora, and Alex. All the best characters had to die, but I guess it fits, kinda like how Spike died at the end.
The visuals were also pretty amazing. TV shows are becoming more feature motion picture quality every season it seems~

Dunno if I'll get it on DVD, though, even though I know I should~
Maybe it will come on TV here, it's a pretty good show, just very slow and fairly uninteresting and a bit confusing at the beginning. I didn't get the whole Dusis/Anatore thing until way late in the series, or the fact that the Grand Stream seperated the two nations physically until the combined fleet entered it to attack Guild. But the ending was spectacular /cry, yes, it was lovely.
Old 03-10-2003, 02:02 PM   #53   [permalink]
Mav

Thumbs up

Just watched the last episode. This series gets two thumbs up from me.

Spoilers:

I'm confused about Exile too. I think you are right about what it did; basically it cleared the skies, but who built it, why, how, when and where are just a few of the questions I have...

The part where Claus and Lavi find their father's vanship, and Lavi climbs up to look in it and then bursts into tears brought a real tear to my eye, too.

Wasn't that Moran in the field at the end? He looked remarkably well for a dead man...
Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 06:41 PM   #54   [permalink]
oppa
Forum Junkie

We're making this thread look so much bigger by doing this, hehe...

...oh yea, spoilers abound...

I was thinking it was Moran too. I didn't mention it because it could've just been one of those character design redundancies... but since both you guys mentioned it, now I wonder...

Seeing as how there was a LOT not fully explained about Exile, who knows? I hope not though. His death was tragic, yes, but he was doing his hardest to protect those on that ship, especially that Dusis girl. It would be anti-dramatic if he suddenly sprung back to life. That's why I just ruled his being alive out since I'm more satisfied that way.

Oh, and yea, I forgot about Dio. That would make TWO complaints I have in this series. His death was horrible... I mean that as in it was stupid how he died. Now, I did like how, even w/ all that brainwashing, he was worried about Luciora and thought he had killed him by telling him to jump off. It showed that he had some humanity left in him. That still doesn't right the fact that HOW HE DIED was retarded.
Old 04-10-2003, 06:09 PM   #55   [permalink]
elpu34234

***ENDING SPOILER***

mm I'm not quite sure about dio's death...
Re-watch the episode exactly at 15:46 the guy who controls the silnvana's engie sais something like acend!, and we hear a voice reply saying the same thing. that voice is dio's voice. so...is he dead? if not, how can his voice be heard there?
elpu34234 is offline   Reply With Quote