Old 21-02-2012, 11:59 PM   #1   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Smile The Secret World of Arrietty

The Secret World of Arrietty is a 2010 film from Studio Ghibli. But an American English dub has just been released in the United States. (Interestingly, there is a separate British English dub.)

The master, Hayao Miyazaki, is only listed as a co-writer of the script. The directorial duties are given to a first timer, Hiromasa Yonebayashi, who had been an animator working under Miyazaki. So is Miyazaki ready to turn over the reigns to the next generation? That intriguing question is why I wanted to see this film. I wanted to see how the newbe compared with the master.

Well, the artwork and animation are pretty good, but not quite to the standards I expect from Miyazaki’s studio. I remember when watching Ponyo how I felt the backdrops made me feel like I was in an art gallery. There is no such feeling here. But it certainly is a cut above the animation you see on TV. In all, I say it was a pretty good first try.

It is also a very good story. A sickly boy discovers a family of very small people living under the house he is staying at, and strikes up a friendship with the daughter. The story, based on the novel The Borrowers, is geared towards a younger audience, but it kept my attention.

In the US