Old 24-01-2003, 07:12 AM   #1   [permalink]
EdXu21

really long gun

i read this from a site:
Quote:
S_Cody writes: The problem is that it wouldn't work well simply because of design - a barrel 39cm long with such a small supporting stock = eventual disaster. A great jam/bore damage candidate. It's swell for the cartoon (we all love Trigun's crucifix cannon, after all), but in reality you'd be wise to take out damage insurance on your firing hand if you wanted to indulge in a bit of firing practice with that beast.
but i dont know what it means..
enlightenment?
Old 24-01-2003, 10:24 AM   #2   [permalink]
Alesil
Executive Member

Send a message via ICQ to Alesil
I think he's referring to a weapon and saying it wouldn't work.
Alesil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2003, 10:26 AM   #3   [permalink]
DistMan
Executive Member

Send a message via ICQ to DistMan
The gun he (Alucard) uses (With Custom Cassul if my mind serves me right) is to powerfull for a normal human to handle and the dimension of some of the gunparts are wrong. So basicly, either you:

1. phuck your hand due to the recoil or
2. blow your hand of since some parts looks to weak

The revolver Wash uses in Trigun would work though. I talked with a gun/revolver man in US. A custom like the one wash uses would cost approx 3000USD. There is already a custom but it's basicly just a modified Magnum .357, soo booring.

He planned to use Cassul...I can't remember the dimension right now. The only problem would be to actually make it a 6 shooter (Wash used a 6 shooter right.or was it a 9 shooter...i can't remember that right now) ...since the walls would be to thin for the bullet dimension he wanted..

Last edited by DistMan; 24-01-2003 at 10:29 AM.
DistMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2003, 10:42 AM   #4   [permalink]
Kawaii Filia
Executive Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Kawaii Filia
The gun wasn't designed for humans, this is why Arucard is the only carrier of such a gun. Just like how Seras received her own weapon.

Slayers fans, please visit my doujin! http://www.geocities.com/slayers_seek/
Kawaii Filia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2003, 12:20 PM   #5   [permalink]
DistMan
Executive Member

Yeah but I think the point in that post was that such gun would never hold together. It would break or explode.
Old 26-01-2003, 08:02 PM   #6   [permalink]
GiZMO
Forum Addicted

Send a message via AIM to GiZMO
Quote:
Originally posted by DistMan
The gun he (Alucard) uses (With Custom Cassul if my mind serves me right) is to powerfull for a normal human to handle and the dimension of some of the gunparts are wrong. So basicly, either you:

1. phuck your hand due to the recoil or
2. blow your hand of since some parts looks to weak

The revolver Wash uses in Trigun would work though. I talked with a gun/revolver man in US. A custom like the one wash uses would cost approx 3000USD. There is already a custom but it's basicly just a modified Magnum .357, soo booring.

He planned to use Cassul...I can't remember the dimension right now. The only problem would be to actually make it a 6 shooter (Wash used a 6 shooter right.or was it a 9 shooter...i can't remember that right now) ...since the walls would be to thin for the bullet dimension he wanted..

I believe the gun was the Jackal. I remember Walter saying something about how no human could use it. It's very long and very heavy (like 34lbs?)

Also, about Vash's gun... i heard discussion/arguments about how it wouldn't work because the hammer is too low/high
GiZMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2003, 12:50 AM   #7   [permalink]
Drizzten
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Send a message via AIM to Drizzten
What was the gun's caliber? Wasn't it something like a .454 or .55? It was an upgrade from Alucard's initial handgun, which already had a large caliber.
Quote:
Says GiZMO:
Also, about Vash's gun... i heard discussion/arguments about how it wouldn't work because the hammer is too low/high
Vash's gun was unique because the barrel was below the "special weapon" part of the gun, and so therefore the cylinder and firing mechanism had to be dropped to accomodate. The design itself would work fine, it's just totally at odds with the rest of the revolver world.
Old 27-01-2003, 04:40 PM   #8   [permalink]
GiZMO
Forum Addicted

Send a message via AIM to GiZMO
Arucard's standard gun is known as the 'Casull'. It has no name, but it fires .454 Casull type ammo (Casull .454 is an ammo type, not a gun type) Its the magnum version of the old Colt .45 Long ammuntion (which means Alucard's "small" gun is a magnum-sized version of Vash's gun.)
It fires 13mm Exploding Bullets made from the melted cross from Lancaster's Cathedral. In the manga a gun referred to as, 'Joshua .454' which could be an outdated version of the 'Casull'

The Jackal weighs 19kilos, 39cm long, and carries 6 bullets. which are 13mm Armor-Piercing. The bullets are blessed metal (mercury and silver) with a formula within made by Mabella Company.

(most of the above is restated from http://hellsing.madtech.net/index.html )
GiZMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2003, 02:50 AM   #9   [permalink]
Drizzten
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Send a message via AIM to Drizzten
Quote:
Says GiZMO:
Arucard's standard gun is known as the 'Casull'. It has no name, but it fires .454 Casull type ammo
Holy crap...those power ratings at the bottom of the page say that the .454 has over twice the muzzle energy as my 9mm Browning and this chart shows it has some utterly punishing recoil characteristics.

Alucard has one hell of a firearm.
Old 28-01-2003, 07:50 AM   #10   [permalink]
DistMan
Executive Member

Yeah, Cassul is an ammo type. I didn't remember if it was a custom caliber or not.

Anyay, Cassul is powerfull as hell. A friend has a revolved with cassul urm...can't remember the dimention right now. Anywya, the gripp is of some special flex material etc etc. He told me that I'd injure my wrist otherwise due to the power/recoil

Regarding Vash:s gun. It is possivble to have the type of firing mechanism he has. THe same guy that told me about the gun above also told me on how that firingmechanism works and how you build one.
Old 30-01-2003, 01:15 AM   #11   [permalink]
Yurimitsu

.... Either way.. Alucard's gun would work technically in the real world if it were built.. It would obey all laws of physics.. but would have one hell of a recoil.. as for the gun falling apart (breaking/exploding)... unless it were made of tape and plastic..there's a very small chance that it would fall apart.. otherwise most shotguns wouldn't work..or hunting rifles..high velocity gatling guns..the list goes on.. anyway.. it's humanly possible to build one.. but who can weild it would be the only problem..
Yurimitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2003, 05:10 AM   #12   [permalink]
ussjburori
Forum Master

there's only one handgun i can recall that fires a .454 casull. that was taurus' raging bull. i'm not sure if it was a 5 or 6 shot, but it was a revolver for certain.

he's right in that the support grip is rather tiny for that kind of firepower. the length of the barrel shouldn't have any effect aside from adding weight which would in turn make it harder to hold the base and slide together.

they're still nitpicking though. arucard's weapon is highly feasible. it might not last that long, but not everything has the lifespan of a beretta. plus it's not like arucard takes it down to the range to shoot cans or anything. he barely uses it, so even wear and tear isn't a factor.
ussjburori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 05:54 AM   #13   [permalink]
DistMan
Executive Member

Ah there ya go, my friend owns Raging Bull. It's one HELLUVA revolver.
DistMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 03:21 AM   #14   [permalink]
Fred
Executive Member

The .454 casull round is probably the most powerful handgun cartridge that is somewhat commonly available on the market. Still the round is in the lower end of the rifle caliber. I believe Freedomarms was the first gun manufacture to mass-produce revolvers for this round.

To my best knowledge there are no auto handguns that chamber this round. The pressure from .454 casull like other magnum is too high for auto. The Desert Eagle is the only auto in the market today (successful) that chamber magnum rounds (but not .454 casull). The only reason why the Desert Eagle is able to use magnum rounds safely and somewhat reliable is the use of the gas base system instead a recoil base system. The Desert Eagle is not practical handgun for common use other then an ego booster.

Is it possible to make auto that chamber the .454 casull? Yes I donít see why it canít be done. But it would be very expensive to manufacture and marketed to a very limited audience. In other words, it is not going be produce. The reason why a longer barrel is needed is to take advantage of .454 casull round. Shorter barrel does not take full advantage of the round and make it less accurate. That is reason why most revolvers that chamber magnum rounds have long barrel.

BTW Vashís revolver chamber .45 LC. It is etched on the side of the gun.

Freedomarms
http://www.freedomarms.com/

Freedom Arms Load Data:
http://www.freedomarms.com/loading.html

Last edited by Fred; 01-04-2003 at 02:24 AM.
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 06:07 AM   #15   [permalink]
death
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to death
Just an note...

Its not Vash's gun that they are complaining about its the Cross punisher II..
death is offline   Reply With Quote