Old 13-12-2002, 05:34 PM   #1   [permalink]
Darkside

Send a message via AIM to Darkside Send a message via Yahoo to Darkside
(PAHA) - People Against Humerous Anime

Ok, heres the deal people. First of all allow me to start this thread off by saying this is just an OPINION. I know many of you out there may like humerous anime, but this is not a thread for you.

THis is a thread for all those people out there who watch anime for, the cool action, the kick ass storylines, or the awesome art.
A few examples of my personal favorites are:

Cowboy Bebop
Ninja Scroll
Vampire Hunter D (1 and 2)
Robotech
Gundam Wing
Escaflone
The Big O

I for one, dont find anime funny. I have tried this supposed, "funny" anime, and maybe its b/c Im an american and I cant understand japanese humor, but I cant see how people find this entertaining. I have always found this type of humor as loud and obnoxious. ITs like someones hitting you over the head with a frying pan and yelling in your ear "LAUGH!!!!".

IMHO animes like these clutter up the mainstream. Now as always, there are a few exceptions to the rule. The exceptions include shows like Trigun, and DBZ. Which are supposed to be somewhat humorous, but have the saving grace of either kick ass action (DBZ) or a really cool storyline (Trigun). But I just cant stand it when all an anime is made for is humor. It just seems like a waste of ink.

Does anyone agree?
Futhermore what are your favorite non-humor animes?
Old 13-12-2002, 05:48 PM   #2   [permalink]
dheu
Forum Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to dheu
Do you enjoy American, real-life comedy movies? If so, then what's the difference between them and comedic anime?

The reason for making anime comedies is the same reason that other types of anime are made: for entertainment. If you don't like anime comedy, then that's your opinion, but to say that just because you don't like it there's no reason for it to even be created seems a little egotistical of you.

Of course, maybe in the future you'll like it. At first, I didn't either, but watching more anime I learned more about Japanese culture, and I started to understand the humor more. I watch mainly more serious stuff, but watching a hilarious series now and then is a breath of fresh air and keeps me more interested in anime overall.

But, to each his own.

dheu
dheu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2002, 06:23 PM   #3   [permalink]
Marius
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to Marius Send a message via AIM to Marius Send a message via Yahoo to Marius
Uhhh, Bebop is pretty funny you know
Marius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2002, 06:37 PM   #4   [permalink]
Fatal Outlaw
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to Fatal Outlaw
i kinda agree with you there. i just dont think japanese humor is funny, of coursem its just me since im more of a 'black' comedy type of person (wayans bros, chris rock, kings of comedy etc).

only thing is...all im saying only applies to one particular anime that i totally did not like. that is Excel Saga. i liked other funny anime's like Jubei-chan, but ES is...

(edit: since i had to eat, i'll continue my post now)

i think its totally impossible for Americans or other people to understand Excel Saga, since 99% of it mocks japanese culture, and fact is, we dont know japanese culture. thats why ADV had to put those ADVidnotes so that peopel would understand (either that, or you're extremly knowledgeable that you understand japanese culture).

Last edited by Fatal Outlaw; 13-12-2002 at 08:14 PM.
Fatal Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2002, 07:43 PM   #5   [permalink]
AnkaraStark
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to AnkaraStark Send a message via AIM to AnkaraStark Send a message via MSN to AnkaraStark
You guys also have to remember that cultures are different between all the countries of the world. I mean, look at countries that are actually pretty similar-- America and Britain. A lot of my British friends find humor in stuff that I wouldn't, and vice versa. The same can be said about my german friends and friends from the Netherlands. Heck, things that can be considered vulgar in one country are considered fine in another... It just depends on the culture.

Personally, I found Cowboy Bebop funny, as I did find Trigun funny...

Irish Diplomacy: The ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to the trip.
AnkaraStark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2002, 08:02 PM   #6   [permalink]
Sylvan
Executive Member

i think its all just personal opinion and not as much to do with culture
Sylvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2002, 08:59 PM   #7   [permalink]
iwakura
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to iwakura
Re: (PAHA) - People Against Humerous Anime

Quote:
Originally posted by Darkside
Robotech
That one is such a bad chop job it's pretty darn funny.

Seriously, how about the funny ones that are really supposed to be offensive for example Ping Pong Club? Does this one count in your list?
iwakura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2002, 05:16 AM   #8   [permalink]
BigFire

Send a message via ICQ to BigFire
Darkside.... have you seen Golden Boy?
Old 14-12-2002, 08:59 AM   #9   [permalink]
akaflakes
Executive Member

Send a message via AIM to akaflakes
Darkside. Maybe you should change it from People Against Humurous Anime to Humans Against Humurous Anime. HAHA
akaflakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2002, 05:29 PM   #10   [permalink]
dheu
Forum Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by akaflakes
Darkside. Maybe you should change it from People Against Humurous Anime to Humans Against Humurous Anime. HAHA
Good idea.

dheu
Old 14-12-2002, 06:58 PM   #11   [permalink]
tfcreate
Forum Elite

Send a message via AIM to tfcreate
Narrow approach.....

I take the culture in whole, not in slices. It's wreckless to just take the parts you like then discard the rest. There's more to any culture than drama and violence. It's just as important to know what makes a culture laugh as to kow what makes it angry or sad. Anything less, leads to misunderstanding, misconceptions amd eventually predjudice.
TFC
Old 15-12-2002, 03:29 AM   #12   [permalink]
jNA

Send a message via ICQ to jNA
Um i like humerous anime but really is there a PURE humourous anime...??

Also in evangelion in eps 9 where Asuka and Shinji have to train together did you find it funny or did you laugh or did you not enjoy that eps.

Without humour in Anime stories would turn very sad and depressing.

That is my 2cents worth of contribution.
jNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2002, 05:23 PM   #13   [permalink]
Darkside

Ok a few things to clear up

Ok sorry I havent posted back but Im here now. Let me try to address some issues. Ill start by saying that my opinion is just that...an opinion. I personally dont like comedic anime..but that doesnt mean that they are horrible...its just my personal preference.

1.) A lot of people, on this thread have said "well bebop is funny.." and "Don't you enjoy American, real-life comedy movies? Whats the difference?" Well allow me to illustrate with an example:
Im assuming that everyone has seen the movie Terminator 2, if you havent go freaking rent it and get with the rest of the world! Anyway, in terminator 2 there are moments when arnold will say something humorous, like when John Conner is trying to teach him how to speak like a human. This in itself was very funny. BUT the reason something like THIS I find to acceptible and MOST anime humor not is b/c I feel that it didnt break the mood of the story. Bebop does the same thing, yes I believe there are funny parts in bebop but the funny parts dont break the overall mood of the storyline. What japanese anime makers will do sometimes though is put together a cool storyline and then ruin it by trying to put TOO much comedy in a serious plotline. I like an anime to have serious plotlines, thats MY OPINION, and therefore when watching one of these animes, I dont want the mood ruined by some slapstick comedy.
Therefore, I will clarify in saying the type of anime humor I dont fine appealing is the type of humor that breaks the mood.

2.) The culture thing. This point is twofold, one its the TYPE of comedy and two its the PLACEMENT of the comedy. First let me say that I have MUCH respect for Japanese culture. So its not as if Im dissing their culture and saying that its all a load of crap. The thing is that a lot of japanese humor I dont find funny b/c Im not integrated into the culture enough. Perhaps if I was then I would find it funny but since Im not, I dont. Secondly, the fact that there is some japanese comedy that I dont "get" doesnt bother me....BUT....again its when ANY type of comedy is placed POORLY in an anime is when it starts to bug me. (see above for poor placement example). Now this again could be considered a culture thing. Japanese film makers arent like American film makers, they have their own style. And sometimes people who are not Japanese dont like that style b/c its not what they are used to. And therefore it becomes a culture issue.

3.) Anime I have seen. A lot of you asked if I have seen this or that...this is what I have seen.
-Cowboy Bebop
-Trigun
-Robotech
-Dragonball(Z/GT)
-Vampire Hunter D (1+2)
-Escaflone (Movie/Series)
-X Movie
-Tenchi Muyo
-Lodoss War
-Big O
-NGE (Series/Movies)
-Wicked City
-Akira
-Demon City
-Ninja Scroll
-Hellsing
-Ghost In the Shell
-Gundam Wing(Movie/Series)
-Dominion Tank Police
-Project A-Ko
-Spriggian

Bare in mind this is NOT the list of all the ones I like, just ones I have seen.

4.) Can anyone recommend any more anime they would think I would like?

I think I answered everyones questions....keep the discussion going guys and remember ITS JUST AN OPINION!!!!!

Last edited by Darkside; 19-12-2002 at 05:26 PM.
Darkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2002, 05:39 PM   #14   [permalink]
Darkside

One more thing

Sorry I just saw another comment I want to talk about.

Quote:
I take the culture in whole, not in slices. It's wreckless to just take the parts you like then discard the rest. There's more to any culture than drama and violence. It's just as important to know what makes a culture laugh as to kow what makes it angry or sad. Anything less, leads to misunderstanding, misconceptions amd eventually predjudice.
tfcreate I wholeheartedly dont agree. According to your logic, just because I dont like one aspect of Japanese culture does that mean that I cant like any of it? Your right there IS MUCH more to any culture then drama and violence...but I am not watching a documentary on Japan, Im watching entertainment. Think about it....do you have a type of movie that you dont perticularly enjoy? Perhaps you dont like romantic movies, or Sci-Fi or whatever. Does that mean that you cant appreciate the culture of whatever country your watching them in? NO it just means that HEY I DONT LIKE THOSE TYPES OF MOVIES!!! I think that personally you need to get off the high horse and just realize that not every single piece of ENTERTAINMENT thats made in a country is an icon of symbolizm for that countries culture. B/c in the end 99% of the people that make ANY type of movie/T.V. show anime or not Japanese or Not is in it to tell a story and to make money. ANd couldnt they best accomplish those tasks by trying to come out with a product that fits their respective audiences?

In the end I have MUCh respect for japanese culture, I just have a personal preference on the TYPE of anime that I watch. Futhermore, its not prejudice to say that I dont find Japanese comedy funny, b/c its a personal preference. Thats just my opinion...I could be wrong.
Old 20-12-2002, 12:21 AM   #15   [permalink]
dheu
Forum Elite

Re: Ok a few things to clear up

Quote:
Originally posted by Darkside
1.) A lot of people, on this thread have said "well bebop is funny.." and "Don't you enjoy American, real-life comedy movies? Whats the difference?"
My question was out of curiosity. I was wondering if you liked "American, real-life comedy movies" because I was curious if you hate strictly-comedy-stuff in general, or if it was just anime comedy that you can't stand.

Quote:
Darkside also blathered on:
Well allow me to illustrate with an example:
Im assuming that everyone has seen the movie Terminator 2, if you havent go freaking rent it and get with the rest of the world!
So you're saying that everyone should see Terminator 2, and that anime comedy is a waste of ink? Yes, those are definitely your own opinions. If you don't like comedic anime, then why are you wasting time ranting about it? Just don't watch the stuff, and everything will be fine.

dheu

Last edited by dheu; 20-12-2002 at 12:22 AM.