Old 29-01-2009, 07:15 AM   #46   [permalink]
oppa
Forum Junkie

Lucu Lucu

I've got a few series' I'd like to throw in this thread since they deserve some notice. On a side note, looking back at some of my entries, I have to think, "what the hell was I thinking when 'recommending' that?" By no means are any of the manga here horrible but surely they don't belong in a "should be read" thread.

This one definitely should be read though:

Lucu Lucu by Asari Yoshitoo

Genre: Seinen, Comedy, Slife of Life

Synopsis stolen from Snoopycool:

"Humans are a despicable lot, committing sin after sin, filling the endless boundaries of the underworld with tortured souls. Now, it would seem, Hell isn't so endless after all, and it has become dangerously close to filling, and then overflowing into the human realm. Princess Lucuha sees this imminent disaster and has a plan: save Hell by making humans decent again. Of course, the Angels can't simply allow Demons to roam freely on Earth, and they do their best to stop Lucu and her dastardly plans."

Basically, Lucu and some demons want to make the world a better place to slow down the number of people going to hell. Her plan is not as grand as it sounds. She becomes a live-in maid, of sorts, for Rokumon, helping him out, in her own way, with his daily life while doing various things to help "better" humanity.

That's the setting. There's kind of a plot but for the most part, it's a light-hearted read with great comedy while all throughout the stories, there's this ominous feeling behind every page cuz, well, it's about demons. And the angels? Well, the demons are trying to do good things so if the angels keep interfering and messing things up... you can figure out what that will lead to. The characters really drive this one, especially Lucu. She's quickly becoming one of my favorite manga characters evar.

If you read all this, I'm sure you already have some preconceptions. Read the first chapter. That'll twist around much of what you were expecting. Then read the second. Now you're hooked... haha... or so I hope. Many things in this manga are flip-flopped, bordering contradictory. The way the story is told given the subject matter, the positions and actions of the demons and angels, and the characters. Especially the characters... especially Lucu. Nearly every character, except Rokumon (gotta have a straight man, right?), is not what you initially think would be.

This is a great read. Check it out. And if you find me a GIF of Lucu dancing, I'll give you my first-born.

7 volumes and 2 chapters (56 total chapters) have been released so far by SnoopyCool.

Last edited by oppa; 29-01-2009 at 07:29 AM.
oppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2009, 07:27 AM   #47   [permalink]
oppa
Forum Junkie

Nagasarete Airantou

The little boy in me giggles like a... well, little boy when I read this manga.

Nagasarete Airantou by Fujishiro Takeshi

Genre: Shounen, Comedy, Romance, Harem, Ecchi

Synopsis
Ikuto runs away from home, out to sea on a ship. He carelessly falls overboard and ends up on a remote island. He soon finds out there are only women on this island. Great news, right? Unfortunately, even though this is set in modern day times, this island has been isolated for over a hundred years and has not advanced like the rest of the world... no electricity or any modern technology.

Or something thereof.

It's your typical, outrageous plot device to get the harem stories rolling. Why, of the billions of harem comedies, is this one worth noting? Cuz it makes me laugh, dammit. It may be cliche and unoriginal but it's cliche done right. Nowadays, you'd be hard-pressed trying to find something original that doesn't overuse shock factor to maintain that originality; nearly everything has something that's been done. The key is to find something that does it well regardless of originality.

Harem comedies are common and for a good reason, they can be fun to read. This one is HIGH-larious. The mangaka doesn't simply throw in large, splash pages and backgroundless scenes filled with one-liners and panty shots (though, of course, this has its share of both). There's tons of comedy elements WITHIN the normal comedy panels and full utilization of as much of a page as possible. I daresay the mangaka put much thought into the delivery of every scene.

Okok, I'm sleep-babbling again. This one's good stuffs. If you want some laid-back, silly comedy with cliches that should re-define cliches, check this out. Be sure to read into each panel or you will miss many subtle comedy elements. I tend to scan-read new manga and on my second read of this one, I can't believe how much crap I blew past... or maybe that's just me, hahaha.

This has been scanslated by several groups over time but is currently being done by Ala Atra and is up to volume 9, chapter 50.
Old 27-02-2009, 01:03 PM   #48   [permalink]
cool2burn
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to cool2burn Send a message via AIM to cool2burn Send a message via Yahoo to cool2burn
ry gantz im reading it right now its intense!

http://www.willworkformunchies.com/i...yStarDance.gif
cool2burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 11:24 AM   #49   [permalink]
Project Akira
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via AIM to Project Akira
Pluto by Naoki Urasawa

A retelling of Tezuka's story "World's Greatest Robot" and it's easily one of the best comics being made today. Someone is murdering the world's strongest robots and leading authorities on Robot rights. The only clue is a pair of horns found at the crime scenes. Robot detective Gesicht must investigate to learn who is committing these crimes and the same time learn their connection to the 39th Asian Conflict that he was involved in years ago. There are tons of twists and turns making this one exciting story. The way that Urasawa updates the story while it doesn't improve on the original I think looks at in ways that makes as relevant to today's world as the original was to the past.
Project Akira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 12:40 AM   #50   [permalink]
oppa
Forum Junkie

Insert (pseudo) witty comment here.

K-ON by Kakifly

Genre: Seinen, Comedy

Synopsis
Remember Azumanga Daioh? Silly girls doing silly things in high school
Remember Ichigo Mashimaro? Silly young girls doing silly things anywhere.

Well, Yui just started high school and has joined Keion (Light Music Club). Her high school life debuts with her childhood friend and the three new friends in this club. Will there be massive drama like Beck with epic battle of the bands? Or insane angst-ridden relationship chaos as she tries to find the one boy for her?

Hell no. It's silly girls in a sorta band doing silly things in high school.

And it ROCKS! (pun intended)

Hahaha... that's probably the most creative synopsis I've ever done. It hits all the general points about this manga. If you liked the two series mentioned early on or others like Today in Class 5-2 or Yotsubato!, then this series is a must-read. Of course, I'm sure many are aware of this series as with the release of the anime a few months back, there has been K-ON crap EVERYWHERE. It caught on like the Swine Flu....... scare. The actual thing barely did anything.

BEE TEE DOUBLE YOU... the manga trumps the anime a hundred-fold. Of course, I'm biased as I love manga way more than anime.

This series has been scanslated by a variety of groups, the most recent of which is Houkago Trans who have done up to volume 3, chapter 6.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:46 AM   #51   [permalink]
dheu
Forum Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to dheu
I've got a suggestion:

My Girl by Sahara Mizu

Genre: Drama, Slice-of-life

Synopsis
This manga is an extremely moving series about a young man who learns that he has daughter, and both father's and daughter's struggles to adapt as the young girl moves in with him.

Sahara Mizu has fantastic art. But more than that, this series is just brilliant in how it displays the emotions of the characters. The characters are complex and multi-faceted, and there's no real antagonist. There's only people being people, without cliche plot devices.

So far only nine chapters have been scanlated (by Storm in Heaven), but just those nine chapters are enough for me to highly recommend this series. I can't wait for more to be released. Check it out!
Old 23-08-2009, 09:49 PM   #52   [permalink]
dheu
Forum Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to dheu
Another suggestion:

Watashitachi no Shiawasena Jikan by Sahara Mizu

Genre: Drama

Synopsis
Juri is a woman suffering from a past trauma who has already tried to commit suicide three times. Yuu is a man who killed three people and is locked up on death row. Out of obligation to her aunt who is a nun, Juri begins to visit Yuu in prison. And in these fleeting weekly visits, the man who is condemned to die and the woman who has condemned herself discover a unique and uplifting connection to each other.

This series absolutely deserves to be read by everyone who cares even a bit about dramatic manga. I can't say enough about this series. The characters are so believable, and their interactions are extremely moving. The art is fantastic and so amazingly expressive, just as in My Girl (also done by Sahara Mizu). This series is uplifting but also crushing in its impact. I was bawling like a little baby by the end of it, and that reaction is a total first for me, even after all the hundreds of manga series I've read.

Read it. Now.

And while you're at it, check out My Girl too.

Last edited by dheu; 23-08-2009 at 09:51 PM.
dheu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 08:11 PM   #53   [permalink]
oppa
Forum Junkie

Wow, it's been ages. I read manga off and on nowadays (...nowadays meaning, the last decade) but have recently been getting back into things. Due to that, it spurred my interest to recommend a couple.

Alyosha! by Kondoh Rururu

Genre: Seinen, Comedy, Action
(Officially, it's probably considered Seinen due to the magazine it is published in but it feels more Shounen, imo.)

Alyosha is a masterful, elite assassin who has been fighting for her country since she was only a few years old. Now, at the age of 16, she is on what should be her final mission when suddenly, plans change. She has now been directed to live a normal life as a high school girl.

All Alyosha has ever known is war. What new challenges await her?

I think that about sums it up. If you read the MU synopsis, you'll get more info about the premise but it'll pretty much spell out chapter one for you. In any case, this series is incredible. OK, that may be too strong a word to use and I do so since I just finished the series last night... I should probably have waited a few days or a week before considering a recommendation but eh, what the hell.

It's good. It's a very laid back series even though it contains a decent amount of action and plot. And the main kicker... Alyosha is SO FRIGGIN' ADORABLE. The contrast of her old character with her new is SO FRIGGIN' ADORAB... wait, I mean, it's interesting. And also, Alyosha IS SO FRIGGIN' ADORABLE.

It's only 5 volumes and it's fully scanslated. You only need the first chapter to get a feel for the style of the manga but I'd say at least the first TEN to truly know how the story and characters will progress.

So yeah, if you're gonna read 10, you might as well read all 36 chapters.

C'mon. Do it.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:26 PM   #54   [permalink]
oppa
Forum Junkie

And another...

Shinozaki-san Ki o Ota Shika ni! by Hikawa Shou

Alt title: Don't Become an Otaku, Shinozaki-san!

Genre: Seinen, Shoujo-Ai, Comedy

(The Shoujo-Ai is mild at this stage (17 chapters))

Shinozaki Akina has always been a "hip" girl and part of a popular clique in middle school. She was looking forward to maintaining her status at her new high school. That is... until she got sick and missed the first week of school.

Now, all the girls have formed their own cliques and Akina is alone... until she notices that the Otaku girl who sits next to her, Sasamura Kaede, is actually very attractive. Akina now has a new goal. She wants to change Kaede from being an Otaku and turn her into the perfect high school girl (her belief, of course).

And the only way to do that is to pretend to be an Otaku herself...

Ah, my synopsis on this one sucks. I think it gets the basics across but not how I truly feel about it.

AKINA IS SO FRIGGIN' ADORABLE.... uh, deja vu?

She really is adorable. Her diligence in trying to turn Kaede and the hilarious situations that occur from it has got me hooked. There's plenty of comedy to be had, almost gag-ish but overall, the characters are what truly drive this series.

Only 17 chapters are available so far. Sad face.

Check it out!
Old 19-10-2014, 01:15 PM   #55   [permalink]
oppa
Forum Junkie

Yandere Kanojo

This next series is probably decently well-known but since I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere here...

Yandere Kanojo by Shinobi

Genre: Shounen, Comedy, Slice of Life, Romance

*Note: "Yandere" doesn't mean what it normally means. It's a derivation of "Yankee" and "Dere-Dere" and has no crazy in it.

Manabu is your typical quiet, bespectacled student who encounters Reina, your typical outgoing yankee (delinquent).

It was love at first sight. Thus begins their hilarious school life together.

It's a partial gag comedy story with some actual seriousness strewn about. Mostly, it's a light-hearted read with awesome characters. And, Reina is ADORABLE.... I sense a pattern with my current recommendations, heh. Hijiri is adorable, too.

This has been one of the most enjoyable manga I've had the pleasure of reading. Since it came out in 2009, it's one of the few series' that I always catch up on when I get back into reading manga (as briefly noted, I don't constantly keep up with manga and will read off and on, sometimes with up to a year hiatus).

My enjoyment of this manga had been so great that I actually learned Kana so I could read raws when I caught up on scanslations. I'm not nearly as addicted to it now but it still is a great read.

There are two concurrent series' running for Yandere Kanojo, a magazine and online version. They are mostly standalone but will reference each other at times. Combined, there is about 14 volumes out so far.
Old 19-10-2014, 02:28 PM   #56   [permalink]
oppa
Forum Junkie

Oddman 11

I wrote more than intended for this post so there's a TL;DR below.

Oddman 11 by Dowman Sayman

Genre: Comedy, Romance, Shoujo Ai, Mature: Nudity, Suggestive Themes

Setsu likes Itami.

Itami is... odd. Hence, he is one of the Oddmen at this school. There are 10 others, one of which is his sister, and the rest his ex-girlfriends, each with their own... let's call it, quirk.

To date Itami, it seems Setsu must "defeat" all the other Oddmen.

Crazy fun Dowman Sayman hijinks ensue.

This story is loosely based on Scott Pilgrim. The start of it, at least. Very loosely, though. The "Shoujo Ai" is there for a reason.

I wanted to throw up a Dowman Sayman manga in here and chose this one. I enjoy all his works so I could have recommended anything but this series probably has the most "normal" and connected plot. The majority of his works are standalone stories with occasional followups.

The plot in The Voynich Hotel is connected but I find the characters in Oddman 11 more appealing. I'm also partial to the plot since I enjoyed the Scott Pilgrim graphic novels (wo0t! for the color editions).

In the end, I would recommend all of Dowman Sayman's works. His writing style is so intriguing and quite unique and I love his dark humor. Sure, sometimes it's hit or miss but overall, it's great. He is one of the few mangaka that I follow... meaning, I read nearly everything he puts out. A bit challenging at times since a good bulk of his work is adult-oriented and there is no furigana to assist with my severe lack of memorized kanji.

Which is why I would like to give a MASSIVE shout out to thetsuuyaku for the MANY Dowman Sayman scanslations. Kudos to the various others that have scanslated his works but without thetsuuyaku, I would be experiencing extreme Dowman Sayman withdrawals.

Back on topic for Oddman 11, 17 chapters have been released so far.

TL;DR

Dowman Sayman is great. Read Dowman Sayman.

If you want to start with something safe, check out his Nickelodeon series. "Safe" as in, probably SFW but it does still contain his usual dark humor.

Last edited by oppa; 20-10-2014 at 10:55 PM.
Old 31-12-2014, 10:10 PM   #57   [permalink]
oppa
Forum Junkie

Majo to Houki to Kurobuchi Megane

A fun one to ring in the new year:

Majo to Houki to Kurobuchi Megane by Hebe

Genre: Seinen, Comedy, Yuri-ish

Noriko is a 17-year-old High School girl who has a new neighbor. She is the 10-year-old, self-proclaimed witch(-in-training) Rhianna. They become fast friends and possibly more? Now begins their cute and fun story.

Yeah, lame synopsis.

I came across this one recently and had to share it. It's a hilarious comedy with Yuri-ish elements and a silly but incredibly fun cast. I say "Yuri-ish" because the Yuri is mostly suggested (to the characters themselves) but the overall theme and material has obvious Yuri references. Especially for one particular character.

The comedy is all over the place. Sometimes normal, sometimes contains gags, and other times it's downright outrageous. It's been a while since I read something that made me laugh out loud... as in, literally, not just a silly "lol" but actual laughing out loud. The comedic themes are a-plenty: Witches and magic, yuri, lolicons, magical girls, general pervertedness, love, and many others. Seriously, all over the place. And it's great.

At the same time, it knows how to be an uber cute manga. I'm talking Nukoduke levels of cute. OK, maybe not that extreme but pretty darn close.

And don't be turned off (or turned on) by the "Witch" portion as that is used mainly as a story enabler and for gags and not-so-much for the plot. This is a purely character driven, almost slice-of-life story.

Thus far, 37 chapters have been released which is about a quarter of the 3rd volume. Sadly, I found out just yesterday that this is the final volume. It'll be a few months (or longer) before it's completion but still,... sads.

Last edited by oppa; 31-12-2014 at 10:13 PM.