Old 23-06-2009, 06:50 PM   #1   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned

Possible Tactic #2: Operation Nostalgia

Dear Eva2k and Moderators,

I notice that several old members are visiting here at the same time, coinciding with the 9th anniversary of AnimeBoards. Is this because you've sent out e-mails to all members?

If so, I think this is a golden opportunity to really grab the attention of some of these old members and get them to start posting regularly again. Psychologically, the new layout and colour scheme is a great way of luring these old members back, to increase post rates.

Thus, I would like to confirm with you that it is indeed the case that e-mails have been sent out, such that I can deliver a few strategic threads that plays on nostalgia.

But we've got to be quick! The window of opportunity is small and we've got to employ this tactic while the changes are fresh in people's minds!

Last edited by John Faulkner; 04-07-2009 at 08:52 PM.
John Faulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2009, 07:02 AM   #2   [permalink]
Jura

Upgrade software won't get members posting much if it's not taken advantages of. The new layout is nice, but the interface is still clunky, fast reply isn't working for me, and I doubt someone fixed the avatars.
Jura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2009, 07:36 AM   #3   [permalink]
Tsunami-X
Forum Elite

Send a message via AIM to Tsunami-X
Not saying you haven't tried, but to quick reply you go to the bottom of anybody's post and it says QUOTE, QUOTE+, REPLY

If you click on 'reply' it should activate the quick reply at the bottom. I've confirmed it on XP and Vista.

Make a DBZ nostalgia thread John!

Tsunami-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2009, 07:57 AM   #4   [permalink]
eva2000
Administrator

Originally Posted by Jura View Post
Upgrade software won't get members posting much if it's not taken advantages of. The new layout is nice, but the interface is still clunky, fast reply isn't working for me, and I doubt someone fixed the avatars.
fixed that as i disabled the required quicky reply click you need to make i default vB. As to avatars what is the problem - please explain so i can fix it

Originally Posted by Tsunami-X View Post
Not saying you haven't tried, but to quick reply you go to the bottom of anybody's post and it says QUOTE, QUOTE+, REPLY

If you click on 'reply' it should activate the quick reply at the bottom. I've confirmed it on XP and Vista.

yeah that's default method - i disabled it now you don't need to click and just use quick reply by itself

Originally Posted by John Faulkner View Post
Dear Eva2k and Moderators,

I notice that several old members are visiting here at the same time, coinciding with the 9th anniversary of AnimeBoards. Is this because you've sent out e-mails to all members?

If so, I think this is a golden opportunity to really grab the attention of some of these old members and get them to start posting regularly again. Psychologically, the new layout and colour scheme is a great way of luring these old members back, to increase post rates.

Thus, I would like to confirm with you that it is indeed the case that e-mails have been sent out, such that I can deliver a few strategic threads that plays on nostalgia.

But we've got to be quick! The window of opportunity is small and we've got to employ this tactic while the changes are fresh in people's minds!
yes email out was the case although you have to use that feature sparingly - abuse email sending and all you do is get folks to change or dump their email address
Old 24-06-2009, 02:03 PM   #5   [permalink]
Jura

The maximum size of your custom image is 48 by 48 pixels or 4.0 KB

o.O

And an option to host avatars myself would be nice.
Old 24-06-2009, 07:50 PM   #6   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned

Originally Posted by Tsunami-X View Post
Originally Posted by eva2000 View Post
yes email out was the case although you have to use that feature sparingly - abuse email sending and all you do is get folks to change or dump their email address
Here's my "I have a dream" nostalgia thread: http://www.animeboards.com/showthread.php?t=65996

Note to mods: this is a legitimate, serious thread which is within the forum rules. Feel free to endorse my passionate appeal! .

I doubt someone fixed the avatars.
To be honest, I don't really give a toss about avatars and have turned off all avatars while browsing AnimeBoards for some time now. Too superficial for me - I let my words do the talking. .
Old 24-06-2009, 07:59 PM   #7   [permalink]
Jura

100x100 and 20KB or higher generally is the size people create avatars for forums...
Old 29-06-2009, 06:42 PM   #8   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned

100x100 and 20KB or higher generally is the size people create avatars for forums...
Jura, if Eva2k made this change, would you actually post more here? Because overall, you've posted very little.

And back to the topic

Tactic #2: Operation Nostalgia was not entirely successful, but managed to generate a very decent amount of replies in a short amount of time. A thread, which turned out to be similar to an AnimeBoards 9th Birthday Bash, was eventually closed, but not before some very interesting discussions took place. In particular, more reasons why old members do not post have been revealed and we are ever closer to understanding this mystery.

Pen2, I'm glad that you were able to attend the shindig in Members Only and I fully agree with your decision to close the thread. Although I felt that all participants were only showing their passion on the issues discussed, and one or more members mistakenly thought I was seriously comparing myself to Martin Luther King, the situation could easily have spiralled into something serious. Good moderating! .

I hope to give some feedback to Eva2k, later in this thread, on that Birthday Bash to summarise the insights obtained on the psychology behind the low posting rates on AB, because I think this is potentially useful should Eva2k decide to take further action to improve post rates on AB. I realise that a number of threads in which I have participated have been closed of late, so I will strive to keep this summary clean.

Last edited by John Faulkner; 29-06-2009 at 08:30 PM.