Old 27-03-2003, 08:26 PM   #1   [permalink]
Kyrakasa
Forum Junkie

How do you check if a name has Copyrights and How do you copyright a name?

How do you check if a name has Copyrights and How do you copyright a name?

I want to make sure legally that a name I wish to give my internet site isn't already someone elses...

Also How can you make sure that it's legally yours and someone can't steal it?

Arigatou~su!

p.s. Thank you for any help you can give ~_~
Kyrakasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2003, 09:57 PM   #2   [permalink]
SenshiNaka
Forum Addicted

Send a message via AIM to SenshiNaka Send a message via Yahoo to SenshiNaka
Just search around andif you dont find anything use it...
To copywright a name for example put

Any layouts
or content with in this site are © 2003-20**
to Kenshin Heaven (Wade Bowers)
and are not meant to be re-used without
my permission

something like that on your site.
SenshiNaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2003, 03:45 PM   #3   [permalink]
Kyrakasa
Forum Junkie

Well other people could type...

All things are copyrighted don't use 2003...

then they could say... I typed this first...

How do you check if a name is copy righted...

For instance... Animeboards.com would be angry if I made a website called animeboard.com
Kyrakasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2003, 04:22 PM   #4   [permalink]
Nulani
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to Nulani Send a message via AIM to Nulani Send a message via MSN to Nulani Send a message via Yahoo to Nulani
I'm not certain how it's where you live, but in Norway; anything you create is automatically copyrighted to you. That means it's automatically illegal to copy, or print, anything of the page that's created by you: Unless you state otherwise of course.

http://www.ifrro.org/ - should have some information.

I thought there was an animeboard.com, some German forum.

Last edited by Nulani; 31-03-2003 at 04:24 PM.
Nulani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2003, 11:44 PM   #5   [permalink]
Jaken

Quote:
Originally posted by Kyrakasa
Well other people could type... All things are copyrighted don't use 2003...then they could say... I typed this first...
The only way to reinforce your intellectual property rights (and copyright is one of them) is in a court of law, assuming you want to take it that far. Otherwise, anyone can say anything and you won't be able to stop them or even complain to their ISP unless you can prove you are the copyright owner through means other than a legal process in court, for instance, if you can prove that your files pertaining to your site have been created prior to another site that is using your material.

The proper way to type out a copyright notice is...

© 2003 Your Full Name

It is not necessary to indicate 2000-2003 because the year represents the year of creation. One's copyright to one's original material lasts for 60 years after the death of one's creator. (Although this period may vary from country to country. If you're in doubt, check with your country's Copyright Office.)

Quote:
How do you check if a name is copy righted...
Technically, names cannot be copyrighted. But names can be registered trademarks. Like "X-Files" and "Kleenex". These are trademarked.

Quote:
For instance... Animeboards.com would be angry if I made a website called animeboard.com
Of course they would be. But what self-respecting webmaster worth his weight in salt would even adopt a name for his own site that is not distinctive and original in the first place?
Jaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003, 11:11 PM   #6   [permalink]
Sigurd Fatima
Forum Master

Media including images automatically become copyrighted to my knowledge. It's not as easy to copyright things like text or names. Like Jaken said you can trademark something, but it costs. Many webmasters also buy multiple domains. For instance google owns goggle.com, google.net, google.org, google.us, google.co.jp etc. etc. That's only for obvious reasons though. I HATE goggle.com because I often accidently type that in the address bar sometimes.

Peace. V
Sigurd Fatima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2004, 01:06 AM   #7   [permalink]
AchtungAffen
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungAffen Send a message via MSN to AchtungAffen
In my country you generally have to do a small deposit, and then the name is yours. That happens with books as far as I know. With software... I don't know. There are sites (available only for my country I guess) wich make that. I saw an ad of one the other day, I should check it as I want to copyright some stuff I'm about to make available on internet.
Old 22-07-2004, 07:59 AM   #8   [permalink]
David Ikari
Forum Master

In Australia, you cannot copyright a name. You have to register it as a trademark.
However, if the name makes up a 'substantial part' of your work, then you may get away with just copyright protection.

Trade Mark protects your unique usage of a name, word, common term, or image so that no one else can rip it off.

Thankfully, even if you don't decide to turn the name into a trade mark, you aren’t left out in the cold. If someone uses your elected name with the intention to ‘cash in’ off of your work or reputation, then you can complain to the Department of Fair Trading.

Just in case, though, you might want to copyright your material anyway.

The best way to make a copyright official is by getting it dated in a legally recognisable fashion. The best way to do this is to mail the name to yourself.

Put the name and all material describing what the name connects with onto paper. Describe everything as much detail as possible. Make sure to date and number each page.

At the post office, ask one of the employees to date every page using a date stamp. The stamp must have the logo or name of the post office in order to be official.

Put your documents in the envelope. If possible, write a list of what the envelope contains on the inside of the envelope itself. It's not essential, but it wont hurt.

Also, remember the name of the person who stamped your documents. If you can, get them to sign at least one of the pages. This is also non-essential, but handy.

A trademark would be better, but you can give yourself a little bit of protection if you follow the above procedure.

For more information on aussie copyright protection in relation to names, go to link G29 of this site: http://www.copyright.org.au/page3.htm

Last edited by David Ikari; 23-07-2004 at 12:09 AM.
David Ikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 07:11 AM   #9   [permalink]
clint999
Banned

I'm not certain how it's where you live, but in Norway; anything you create is automatically copyrighted to you. That means it's automatically illegal to copy, or print, anything of the page that's created by you: Unless you state otherwise of course.

http://www.ifrro.org/ - should have some information.

I thought there was an animeboard.com, some German forum.
clint999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 03:29 PM   #10   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

Send a message via ICQ to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via AIM to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via Yahoo to Pengi_Ken-Ohki
Dude, its been 4 years since last post...don't be gross.
Pengi_Ken-Ohki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 08:24 PM   #11   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned

You do realize that you're communicating with an inanimate merchant of spam?

Further, this is absolute proof that the moderators don't bother to moderate posts, not even bothering to stop a blatant advertising robot waltzing through the messageboard as it pleases. And it doesn't take Sherlock Holmes to work out it is a spammer, since it

a) Digs up ancient posts,
b) Copies and pastes from previous posts in the thread, resulting in gibberish that is out of context,
c) Has an advert in its signature.

One's jaw drops to the ground with alarming velocity upon discovering that this highly visible, clumsy piece of Internet garbage, which is as stealthy as a blind tortoise with 1 leg, has actually posted several times in the Contact Admin / Moderators & Feedback subforum and Members Only (supposedly moderated by Atomic and Kawaii Miko), and 9 TIMES IN TOTAL SINCE JULY. Add to this the fact that I have pointed out in broad daylight several times that clint999 is what it is - e.g. in this post here http://www.animeboards.com/showpost....0&postcount=20

I'd like to see anyone try and defend the management team now. Total cack-handedness.

EDIT. clint999 still ranks as one of the better posters on AnimeBoards though, especially considering the muppets who keep coming here and never post (see "members who have visited this forum list" on the main page for list of said muppets).

Last edited by John Faulkner; 03-12-2008 at 11:15 PM.
John Faulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 01:49 AM   #12   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki

Send a message via ICQ to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via AIM to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via Yahoo to Pengi_Ken-Ohki
Damn..they're getting better. I didnt read his post cos I wasnt interested in talking about copyright, but even now...neither his signature or what he said stands out to me as a spambot. I see what you mean about him copying an earlier post. I didnt think something like "college pages" would be into the whole "obnoxious spam" thing.
Pengi_Ken-Ohki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2009, 03:10 AM   #13   [permalink]
boxofmochi

Send a message via AIM to boxofmochi Send a message via MSN to boxofmochi
In the U.S. I believe it's something like $30 per copyrighted material/name (but I read up on this a few years ago...so this might've changed I dono).
But even when you copyright it, if someone steals it you can only get money from them in court if they made you lose money through their breach of copyright. But at least you can get them to stop stealing if it ever happens.
boxofmochi is offline   Reply With Quote