Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 20-01-2009, 10:46 AM   #16   [permalink]
Black_Knight
V.I.P. Member
 
Black_Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: 16 Aug 2001
Location: Evangelion Unit-03
Posts: 11,388
Send a message via ICQ to Black_Knight Send a message via AIM to Black_Knight Send a message via Yahoo to Black_Knight
Hey Johnny, would you just like to have a coup a take control of AB, from Eva2000 since for all the talk, the guy's been idler than Bush during those 7 minutes when he was told the country was under attack (United States when the WTC was destroyed)

Eva2000 = George W. Bush

John Faulkner = Barack Obama

Pengi_Ken-Ohki = Sarah Palin
__________________
Originally Posted by Pengi_Ken-Ohki
Getting hit on AB is like an attack in my own home. Curse you BK, CURSE YOU!
"I am simply living life the way I see fit. Anything can go unpunished if done in the name of God. Convenient, is it not?"
-Bishop Oro
Black_Knight is offline  
Old 20-01-2009, 06:11 PM   #17   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned
 
Join Date: 20 Mar 2001
Location: England
Posts: 1,535
Originally Posted by Black_Knight View Post
Hey Johnny, would you just like to have a coup a take control of AB
I must commend you on rediscovering your extreme revolutionary spirit, which is just what is required in our long, honourable struggle.

You're the senior strategist, usually with the best ideas, but here I think we should pursue a more humble objective before going for a more ambitious approach. I propose we negotiate directly with Eva2k, now, to see if we can manoeuvre ourselves into a more advantageous position. In fact, I will initiate contact now. We revolutionaries let our actions do the talking.

President Eva2000

Black_Knight and I have a proposition. Terms are negotiable.

We propose you make us moderators for 2009. If post rates do not increase by the end of 2009, you can downgrade us again. As part of this deal, we would like:
  • The ability to ban/unban members
  • The ability to make polls
  • The authority to enforce the rules according to our interpretations
  • The ability to approve new members
  • If possible, the ability to create/delete new subforums

You've heard of Pascal's Wager? I call this Black_Knight's Wager. You can't lose if you make us moderators. Either things get better or remain as poor as it is now. It simply can't get any worse. We will create dynamic forces that will truly shake up this messageboard in ways which have never been seen before in history. We will deliver a new type of anime messageboard that will represent a significant evolutionary advance on the Internet. That's what we can bring to the table. We urge you to give this offer serious thought, and expect a reply before the end of this month.


Originally Posted by Black_Knight View Post
Eva2000 = George W. Bush

John Faulkner = Barack Obama

Pengi_Ken-Ohki = Sarah Palin
I'd agree in the sense that Bush became a lame duck president and thus representative of one who is prone to inertia. I'd disagree in the sense that although Barry Alabama has successfully marketed himself like a Pop Idol winner, he hasn't actually done anything as President yet and thus is not really representative of action. If you're looking for politicians that let their actions do the talking, a better example is the other Barak, Ehud Barak, or ex-Mossad Zippy Lippy. cool2burn can be Ban Ki-moon. Pengi can be Kim Jong-il due to his love for the status quo, no matter the degree of degradation.

Last edited by John Faulkner; 20-01-2009 at 08:27 PM.
John Faulkner is offline  
Old 21-01-2009, 07:59 PM   #18   [permalink]
Black_Knight
V.I.P. Member
 
Black_Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: 16 Aug 2001
Location: Evangelion Unit-03
Posts: 11,388
Send a message via ICQ to Black_Knight Send a message via AIM to Black_Knight Send a message via Yahoo to Black_Knight
Wait, WHAT!?!

I'd rather not be a mod...
__________________
Originally Posted by Pengi_Ken-Ohki
Getting hit on AB is like an attack in my own home. Curse you BK, CURSE YOU!
"I am simply living life the way I see fit. Anything can go unpunished if done in the name of God. Convenient, is it not?"
-Bishop Oro

Last edited by Black_Knight; 21-01-2009 at 08:00 PM.
Black_Knight is offline  
Old 21-01-2009, 09:23 PM   #19   [permalink]
cool2burn
Forum Master
 
cool2burn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 14 Jan 2001
Location: Yokosuka, Japan
Posts: 2,253
Send a message via ICQ to cool2burn Send a message via AIM to cool2burn Send a message via Yahoo to cool2burn
lmfao that is all
__________________
Kill the Spiders to save the butterflies..............
But by doing this one does not realize that they become the spider.......

http://www.willworkformunchies.com/i...yStarDance.gif
cool2burn is offline  
Old 22-01-2009, 06:19 PM   #20   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned
 
Join Date: 20 Mar 2001
Location: England
Posts: 1,535
Originally Posted by Black_Knight View Post
Wait, WHAT!?! I'd rather not be a mod...
Don't be such a Judas - we've come this far and you want to be a deserter? A treacherous blowhard? No. We are honour-bound to carry out what we preach. Besides, to be a mod at AB, all you have to do is to make one post a year and then you've already surpassed the minimum requirements.

Eva2k, the deal is fresh and alive. You are not going to get a better offer this decade from two people who are so well suited to the role of injecting some life into this decaying board.

People keep on saying this place "just" needs to evolve. Well, since you and your existing mods are too busy or whatever, such that getting you guys to do something is like trying to get blood from a stone, make Black_Knight and I mods and we'll bloody apply eugenics to this place. You just sit back and watch. Remember: we're doing this for free. What more do you want? We've even done a SWOT analysis of this place!

And just to illustrate visually the importance of your decision Eva2k: I've updated the 2008 AB perception charts to show the likely consequences of whether you reject or accept Black_Knight's Wager:






Originally Posted by cool2burn View Post
lmfao that is all
And what are you laughing at? That this place feels like an old people's home? That I compared you to Ban Ki-moon? Or that I compared Pengi to Kim Jong-il?
John Faulkner is offline  
Old 23-01-2009, 02:35 PM   #21   [permalink]
Black_Knight
V.I.P. Member
 
Black_Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: 16 Aug 2001
Location: Evangelion Unit-03
Posts: 11,388
Send a message via ICQ to Black_Knight Send a message via AIM to Black_Knight Send a message via Yahoo to Black_Knight
Originally Posted by John Faulkner View Post
Don't be such a Judas - we've come this far and you want to be a deserter? A treacherous blowhard? No. We are honour-bound to carry out what we preach. Besides, to be a mod at AB, all you have to do is to make one post a year and then you've already surpassed the minimum requirements.
Judas? No, Judas would be that we both become mods, and I stab you in the back and turn AB into my personal empire. I'm just saying I'm not cut out for the positions of power since I believe everything should be free reign. (Pokemon and hentai forums, etc)
__________________
Originally Posted by Pengi_Ken-Ohki
Getting hit on AB is like an attack in my own home. Curse you BK, CURSE YOU!
"I am simply living life the way I see fit. Anything can go unpunished if done in the name of God. Convenient, is it not?"
-Bishop Oro
Black_Knight is offline  
Old 23-01-2009, 03:23 PM   #22   [permalink]
Morbius
Forum Master
 
Morbius's Avatar
 
Join Date: 18 Sep 2000
Location: Sitting in my mud puddle
Posts: 3,833
Send a message via AIM to Morbius Send a message via Yahoo to Morbius
Originally Posted by Black_Knight View Post
Judas? No, Judas would be that we both become mods, and I stab you in the back and turn AB into my personal empire. I'm just saying I'm not cut out for the positions of power since I believe everything should be free reign. (Pokemon and hentai forums, etc)
Have you even read the bible, or any book for that matter? A more apt analogy would be if he came into power, you followed along like a good little lapdog then stabbed him in the back for a zip file of hentai porn. And afterwards, unable to cope with your guilt, you hung yourself.

This would be a scenario I'd be more comfortable with seeing.
__________________
i guess i heard about original sin. i heard the dude blamed the chick. i heard the chick blamed the snake. i heard they were naked when they got busted. i heard things ain't been the same since.
Morbius is offline  
Old 23-01-2009, 04:49 PM   #23   [permalink]
Black_Knight
V.I.P. Member
 
Black_Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: 16 Aug 2001
Location: Evangelion Unit-03
Posts: 11,388
Send a message via ICQ to Black_Knight Send a message via AIM to Black_Knight Send a message via Yahoo to Black_Knight
Originally Posted by Morbius View Post
Have you even read the bible, or any book for that matter?
I don't read fairy tale books, though do I care what you say? No. Do I forgive you for wanting to see me dead? Yes.
__________________
Originally Posted by Pengi_Ken-Ohki
Getting hit on AB is like an attack in my own home. Curse you BK, CURSE YOU!
"I am simply living life the way I see fit. Anything can go unpunished if done in the name of God. Convenient, is it not?"
-Bishop Oro
Black_Knight is offline  
Old 23-01-2009, 10:42 PM   #24   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned
 
Join Date: 20 Mar 2001
Location: England
Posts: 1,535
Originally Posted by Black_Knight View Post
Judas? No, Judas would be that we both become mods, and I stab you in the back and turn AB into my personal empire.
Look, we'll worry about who stabs whose back once we become mods. Until then, just relax and go with the flow.

Originally Posted by Black_Knight View Post
I'm just saying I'm not cut out for the positions of power since I believe everything should be free reign. (Pokemon and hentai forums, etc)
So what if there are discussions on Pokemon? Last time I checked, there was no law against that. As for hentai, if things get out of hand, then I'll just step in and take appropriate measures. Enough excuses.

Originally Posted by Morbius View Post
Have you even read the bible, or any book for that matter? A more apt analogy would be if he came into power, you followed along like a good little lapdog then stabbed him in the back for a zip file of hentai porn. And afterwards, unable to cope with your guilt, you hung yourself.
Holy smokes, what passion! Do you want to be a mod?

Originally Posted by Black_Knight View Post
I don't read fairy tale books, though do I care what you say? No.
Remember what Friedrich Schiller says:
"Deeper meaning resides in the fairy tales told to me in my childhood than in any truth that is taught in life."

Originally Posted by Black_Knight View Post
Do I forgive you for wanting to see me dead? Yes.
Tsk tsk. Tsk. When did you become such a pussy? Where's your razor-sharp tongue? Where's your pride?
John Faulkner is offline  
Old 28-01-2009, 02:07 AM   #25   [permalink]
eva2000
Administrator
 
eva2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: 23 Jun 2000
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 12,409
Originally Posted by John Faulkner View Post
Don't be such a Judas - we've come this far and you want to be a deserter? A treacherous blowhard? No. We are honour-bound to carry out what we preach. Besides, to be a mod at AB, all you have to do is to make one post a year and then you've already surpassed the minimum requirements.

Eva2k, the deal is fresh and alive. You are not going to get a better offer this decade from two people who are so well suited to the role of injecting some life into this decaying board.

People keep on saying this place "just" needs to evolve. Well, since you and your existing mods are too busy or whatever, such that getting you guys to do something is like trying to get blood from a stone, make Black_Knight and I mods and we'll bloody apply eugenics to this place. You just sit back and watch. Remember: we're doing this for free. What more do you want? We've even done a SWOT analysis of this place!

And just to illustrate visually the importance of your decision Eva2k: I've updated the 2008 AB perception charts to show the likely consequences of whether you reject or accept Black_Knight's Wager:

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/c...sentation1.jpg

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/c...entation11.jpg
love the charts heh

While the offer is tempting and not completely off the tables, right now I'd have decline. But your ideas have spurred further thought from me for something similar in arrangement. I won't go into complete detail as to why but touch on a few points so you folks know where I'm coming from.

1. Anyone who's followed me from my old ezboard days to start of AB forums (and by now most will have suspected by my lack of action), will know I'm sentimental in that I don't like deleting posts and threads (all everything from start of AB 8yrs ago still exists and has only been archived/hidden but never deleted). Changing usernames is another pet hate especially for long standing members . Asking me to do such actions as deleting and change to me seems like removing part of the past which defined part of Animeboards.com's history. I and all the moderators and older members put alot of hours and effort into Animeboards.com (myself over AUD$50k in hosting and related running costs alone) and to simply hit the delete key (on forums/posts and moderators) is to disregard all that acknowledged effort and time.

2. Moderators - by forum features are allowed to do certain tasks, delete, prune, copy, move threads/posts, ban/unban members, view private forums etc. What they can't do is delete or remove forums or approve or deal with new member registrations. You need to have admin privileges for those functions which opens up the rest of the admin functions as well. Right now I'm not prepared to open up admin privileges to anyone - matter of trust really (no offense). Admin features have a potential to completely destroy AB data integrity etc in the wrong hands.

3. For all moderators I have chosen to date, one of the overriding criterias for moderator selection is trust. Trust in above all else point #1.

4. As i mentioned early days of AB hosting costs were massively expensive due to rapidly growing AB member and posting activity. I spent total over AUD$50k in hosting related costs and at most crucial of peak AB growth had to reach out to members for donations to keep AB online. As AB's growth declined (2 server moves and downtime due to hosting related issues contributed to initial decline), hosting costs came down as well to a level which I can now manage.

Now if AB grows again, hosting costs will eventually go up again to the point where I can't afford to continue covering costs again. It won't be as bad as in past as hosting costs have come down with relatively more power server hardware. But from what history has shown me, covering costs via donations and/or advertising won't cover the costs at all

Katerine, in another thread in contact forum has suggested removing new member manual approvals since vB has better rego anti-spam measures now. So I'm thinking of trialling this suggestion out for a month to see what spam levels are like. Letting new members in faster I guess can help somewhat

John, I appreciate all your effort in kicking me in the backside to get me moving so hopefully you can be patience in my resistance to revolutionary change.

One thing for certain is Animeboards.com will always be online if I have my way - goes back to point #1.
__________________
be afraid... Admin cap is back... !
eva2000 is offline  
Old 29-01-2009, 09:28 PM   #26   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned
 
Join Date: 20 Mar 2001
Location: England
Posts: 1,535
Emperor Eva2000.

Originally Posted by eva2000 View Post
love the charts heh
Real works of art, aren't they?

Originally Posted by eva2000 View Post
While the offer is tempting and not completely off the tables, right now I'd have decline.
I am deeply shocked by this decision and I'm sure I speak for Black_Knight as well. Personally, I blame Morbius for this because he dared to undermine BK's credentials.

Nevertheless, we take solace in the fact that even higher tier discussions at the WEF in Davos have been drenched in pessimism. Like Shimon Peres, we will passionately argue our position. As it is said:

"Ding! Ding! Round f-uckin' 1,000,000!"

Originally Posted by eva2000 View Post
Agenda Item 1
Anyone who's followed me from my old ezboard days to start of AB forums (and by now most will have suspected by my lack of action), will know I'm sentimental in that I don't like deleting posts and threads (all everything from start of AB 8yrs ago still exists and has only been archived/hidden but never deleted). Changing usernames is another pet hate especially for long standing members . Asking me to do such actions as deleting and change to me seems like removing part of the past which defined part of Animeboards.com's history. I and all the moderators and older members put alot of hours and effort into Animeboards.com (myself over AUD$50k in hosting and related running costs alone) and to simply hit the delete key (on forums/posts and moderators) is to disregard all that acknowledged effort and time.
As I suggested in the thread "ANIMEBOARDS - The Masterplan for Improvement", an idea is to archive inactive subforums. If you feel sentimental about deleting old posts, then simply archive inactive subforums. This way, you do not lose any posts and if demand for these subforums increase again, then simply re-open them again. The whole point of this is to make the boards less cluttered.

Simple solution.

As for the moderators, if they only log in once every 6 months, then they probably don't even care that much about being moderators anymore. So all you have to do is speak to them, see if they're OK with relinquishing their modship and then relieve them of their duties amicably.

If it was me, I'd just fire their asses right away.

Originally Posted by eva2000 View Post
Agenda Item 2
2. Moderators - by forum features are allowed to do certain tasks, delete, prune, copy, move threads/posts, ban/unban members, view private forums etc. What they can't do is delete or remove forums or approve or deal with new member registrations. You need to have admin privileges for those functions which opens up the rest of the admin functions as well. Right now I'm not prepared to open up admin privileges to anyone - matter of trust really (no offense). Admin features have a potential to completely destroy AB data integrity etc in the wrong hands.
You mean to say that there is no option to give mods the power to just approve new members, without all the other admin privileges? This sounds like such a basic management option that I'd be gobsmacked if it isn't included.

Originally Posted by eva2000 View Post
Agenda Item 3
3. For all moderators I have chosen to date, one of the overriding criterias for moderator selection is trust. Trust in above all else point #1.
I'm somewhat puzzled by your criterion of "trust" here. Trust in what? Since mods can't do anything to whack out AB data integrity or cut out useless subforums (of which there exist many - you cannot seriously tell me that you will get teary-eyed by deleting a subforum with less than 20 posts, such as the Star Blazers one) , as you mention yourself, then you have nothing to worry about with respect to that.

So what you are trusting the mods to do is to carry out their duties as moderators properly. As I have documented in several, extensive posts over the last year or so, your moderators have done a really, really, really ... really poor job. So by your own criterion of "trust", there should be a clear-out of clueless moderators and appointment of dynamic fighters.

Look at the issue of trust this way: a lot of members have probably lost a lot of "trust" in board management already due to the collapse in activity and the lack of action by moderators. You can't simply just trust people to do a job properly when they've demonstrated that they cannot or will not over 2 years running. That's blind faith. Sentimentality has its place, but do you want to keep pumping cash into a place that is simply a static record of the past? Are we the bloody Likely Lads where the only thing to look forward to is the past? What happened to the future?

Originally Posted by eva2000 View Post
Agenda Item 4
4. As i mentioned early days of AB hosting costs were massively expensive due to rapidly growing AB member and posting activity. I spent total over AUD$50k in hosting related costs and at most crucial of peak AB growth had to reach out to members for donations to keep AB online. As AB's growth declined (2 server moves and downtime due to hosting related issues contributed to initial decline), hosting costs came down as well to a level which I can now manage.

Now if AB grows again, hosting costs will eventually go up again to the point where I can't afford to continue covering costs again. It won't be as bad as in past as hosting costs have come down with relatively more power server hardware. But from what history has shown me, covering costs via donations and/or advertising won't cover the costs at all
The key point, as I have pointed out some 2 yrs ago with no response (http://www.animeboards.com/showpost....1&postcount=44), is at what point will it become too costly for you? Yes, OK, if activity shoots upwards hyperbolically, then that may put you onto the streets, but are you seriously saying we're near capacity now with some 20 members coming here on a good day? Because if not, then you can manage the increase and make sure activity doesn't explode. What's the worst that can happen? If the activity here makes your P and L account spiral into the red, then simply take down AB for a while, which will decrease activity like the previous times this has happened.

Originally Posted by eva2000 View Post
Agenda Item 5
Katerine, in another thread in contact forum has suggested removing new member manual approvals since vB has better rego anti-spam measures now. So I'm thinking of trialling this suggestion out for a month to see what spam levels are like. Letting new members in faster I guess can help somewhat
Firstly, I'm kind of stunned that nobody has tried this out yet and nobody had even contemplated actually doing this until a new member pointed it out. I explicitly mentioned in my SWOT analysis in Aug 2008 (http://www.animeboards.com/showthread.php?t=60530):

"Encourage new members to post - find out why uptake of new members is so slow and if it is taking too long to verify new members so that they can post, try and automate the system. This may let in more spammers but it will also speed things up. Spammers can be reported to the AB administration and will be easy for moderators to spot, given the low posting rate. This will also increase the chances of finding the new future leaders who are capable of typing sentences using reasonable English and who like to generate discussions."

So I called for automating the system a long time ago and since nobody bothered addressing this point, I assumed that there was no way to cut out the spammers if the system was automated. But there is, and all it takes to come up with the solution is to look up existing anti-spam measures, which you and your moderators didn't do, and we had to wait until someone dragged out the obvious solution in front of your faces.

Secondly, as I mentioned in this post http://www.animeboards.com/showpost....0&postcount=18, I don't think that simply ramping up the speed of approving new members will result in sustained higher activity. You need a strategic approach that is multi-pronged and tackles the different problems here simultaneously. This includes a complete sea change in attitude by your moderators.

This brings me to the issue of strategy. I asked your moderators for their future visions of AB, with a view towards how they plan on making it happen. They refused to answer so I'm none the wiser as to what you or your mods really want from this place. Is it simply increasing activity or do you want to go for more quality discussions as well? What is the target audience? Without any sort of idea of what you want to do, it makes it all the more difficult to pull this place out of the quagmire.

Originally Posted by eva2000 View Post
Agenda Item 5
John, I appreciate all your effort in kicking me in the backside to get me moving so hopefully you can be patience in my resistance to revolutionary change.
I can see that you make some good points, but overall, I'm not in tune with your reasoning, I'm still baffled by what you want out of this place in the future and I'm still dumbstruck by why you don't do more, such as archiving inactive forums. My reasoning is provided in my official response above.

Originally Posted by eva2000 View Post
Agenda Item 6
One thing for certain is Animeboards.com will always be online if I have my way - goes back to point #1.
The question is: what state do you want Animeboards.com to be in if it is online in the future and how do we get there? We're in the same boat here, but where is the boat going?

Regards.
John Faulkner is offline  
Old 06-02-2009, 06:17 PM   #27   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned
 
Join Date: 20 Mar 2001
Location: England
Posts: 1,535
Regarding hosting costs, you can delete inactive accounts, as I have detailed here:

http://www.animeboards.com/showpost....7&postcount=15

Last edited by John Faulkner; 06-02-2009 at 06:25 PM.
John Faulkner is offline  
Old 10-02-2009, 11:21 AM   #28   [permalink]
eva2000
Administrator
 
eva2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: 23 Jun 2000
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 12,409
Inactive accounts don't cost a cent neither do inactive members. Amount of posts/members registered etc don't increase hosting costs much at all. The real increase in costs is increase in concurrency member/visitors user activity (browsing, the action of posting itself etc). So as you increase the number of members and visitors frequenting the forums concurrently so will hosting costs eventually rise by need for server upgrades and bandwidth etc.

So to answer the last question of your previous post in this thread. Given my current finances and what I have going on obligation wise in the real world (work/family), the current state of AB while not ideal, is what I can live with. Not to say I won't be making changes at my own pace though.
__________________
be afraid... Admin cap is back... !
eva2000 is offline  
Old 12-02-2009, 02:41 AM   #29   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned
 
Join Date: 20 Mar 2001
Location: England
Posts: 1,535
Originally Posted by eva2000 View Post
Inactive accounts don't cost a cent neither do inactive members. Amount of posts/members registered etc don't increase hosting costs much at all. The real increase in costs is increase in concurrency member/visitors user activity (browsing, the action of posting itself etc). So as you increase the number of members and visitors frequenting the forums concurrently so will hosting costs eventually rise by need for server upgrades and bandwidth etc.
OK, so I gather the main increase in costs is due to an increase in the number of members + visitors browsing these forums at the same time. It would still be a good idea to get rid of inactive accounts because then you have an idea of how many members can potentially start posting again and increase the number of people browsing simultaneously, so that you can get an accurate handle of the relationship between the number of members with active accounts and the number of people browsing simultaneously.

Originally Posted by eva2000 View Post
So to answer the last question of your previous post in this thread. Given my current finances and what I have going on obligation wise in the real world (work/family), the current state of AB while not ideal, is what I can live with. Not to say I won't be making changes at my own pace though.
Before we touch on the issue of tactics to change this place from the status quo, we need to get back to the fundamentals, because if we don't sort these out, then we could end up pulling in completely different directions. Here's what I don't know:

A)

An approximation of the maximum number of members+visitors logging on simultaneously above which you cannot cope financially. Currently, we have a maximum of 10 members logging on simultaneously and somewhere between 120-200 members+visitors logging on simultaneously at any one time. In the middle of 2008, you implemented changes which cut down the number of visitors (presumably a lot of them were spammers).

The number of visitors coming here at any one time was something like 1,000: see my post here http://www.animeboards.com/showpost....18&postcount=3 for proof. Thus, your changes last year cut this down by around 5-10-fold. Surely that should have freed up a massive amount of space?

Why can't you cope with approx. 1,000 members+visitors online here at the same time now, when this was possible about half a year ago? Is this because you were paying through your nose before you cut down on the number of visitors or can you actually still cope with those numbers?

This is important because if you don't let me know some numbers, I don't even know if I should be pushing for more activity, in terms of more people coming here at the same time, or not. So let's talk numbers.


B)

Your aims for 2009 and beyond. What are your milestones? I'm not asking for a detailed plan which everyone here will hold onto like the Gospel, but what do you want to do with this place? Do you want to get your moderators to be more active? Do you want to archive inactive subforums by the end of 2009? Do you want more people coming here at the same time (I don't know because I have no idea at all what the capacity here is or what % of this capacity you want to fill)?

Look at it from my perspective: what I'm getting is that you're OK with the current levels of activity, but I have no idea at all whether you actually mean the precise number of people coming here at the same time or whether you actually have some spare capacity to fill (i.e. you would be OK with a slight increase). Also, you're basically saying that you might change some things in the future, and you might not - i.e. for all I know, you're never going to change anything for the rest of our lives because of other obligations offline.

Since you're still paying good money to keep this place going and you're the sentimental type, don't you want to give the people here some hope for the future that will stop everyone deserting by the end of this year?

------------------------------------------------

So without answers to A) and B), there's no real point in anyone providing any more suggestions because we simply do not know what you want. Also, there would be no real point in trying to get more members to post if that would simply cripple your finances.

Last edited by John Faulkner; 12-02-2009 at 04:46 AM.
John Faulkner is offline  
Old 17-02-2009, 12:59 AM   #30   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned
 
Join Date: 20 Mar 2001
Location: England
Posts: 1,535
Board management: you're not going to blank me again are you?

We've got to clarify the capacity of this place so that I and other people know whether we should be pushing for more members to come online at the same time or not. Also, you can get stats that track the number of users online at a given time and line graphs of these stats for FREE here at http://www.big-boards.com/linktous/?boardid=12 . So you can use this to really get an iron grip on what's happening with activity around here, to ensure that the increase is not too fast. What more do you want?

I'll give you a status report on how well the trial of the automated approval system is going: we've definitely seen more new members posting, but the problem is that they don't seem to be staying. Therefore, what we're getting are spurts of posting activity that fade away and do not appear to be sustainable. The system seems to have kept most of the robo-spammers out, but there have been around 3-4 that have slipped through the net. So my professional analysis is that it seems to be working in the sense of improving activity in a non-stable cyclic "boom and bust" way, although the moderators need to be on their toes.

But we most certainly need to get a move on in terms of deciding what direction we're going to take here. We're at an important junction, a crucial fork in the road, and we have to stick together like a band of brothers (and sisters). We are not South Korea and North Korea. We are not Iran and the U.S.

In unity there is strength.

Last edited by John Faulkner; 17-02-2009 at 01:29 AM.
John Faulkner is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Animeboards Anime Honorary Awards : Mark 2... And The Winners Are... Wolfpac General Non-Anime Discussion Archive 2000-2003 50 14-11-2002 02:11 PM
The Results of the 2nd Annual Animeboards Poster Awards!!! Wolfpac General Non-Anime Discussion Archive 2000-2003 93 26-01-2002 04:34 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.