Closed Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 08:03 PM   #1   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned

AnimeBoards Is Less Active Than Another Board With 29 Members

Congratulations!

Let us sacrifice a goat to board management for this enormous feat.

The forum in question was advertised in the Website reviews subforum and is called Anime Gaia:

http://animegaia.net/forum/

Notice that Anime Gaia, at the time of making this post, has had 11 new posts and 4 new topics over the last 24 hrs, which easily beats AnimeBoards over the same 24 hrs. Yet this place has some 5,500 members, that is 190 times more members.

Anyone got any ideas how this could have come about? I've got my answers, but let's see if some of the dummies that frequent AnimeBoards could chip in and come up with something.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:45 PM   #2   [permalink]
cool2burn
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to cool2burn Send a message via AIM to cool2burn Send a message via Yahoo to cool2burn
If you dislike this place that much and dont like the managment why do you keep posting?

http://www.willworkformunchies.com/i...yStarDance.gif
Old 02-02-2009, 11:24 PM   #3   [permalink]
Black_Knight
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via ICQ to Black_Knight Send a message via AIM to Black_Knight Send a message via Yahoo to Black_Knight
Originally Posted by cool2burn View Post
If you dislike this place that much and dont like the managment why do you keep posting?
Because he want's to save it. Although I think he should just take AB from George by force.

Or start a huge advertising campaign on other forums.
-Bishop Oro
Old 02-02-2009, 11:42 PM   #4   [permalink]
cool2burn
Forum Master

Send a message via ICQ to cool2burn Send a message via AIM to cool2burn Send a message via Yahoo to cool2burn
Whatevder i just think he likes to bitch

Old 03-02-2009, 12:46 AM   #5   [permalink]
Darkandiel

Send a message via MSN to Darkandiel
Ahahahahaha! I gotta love this guy.
That post made me laugh.

But yeah, I can see that he just wants to save the place. John, go start an e-petition.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:23 AM   #6   [permalink]
cool2burn
Forum Master

Originally Posted by Darkandiel View Post
Ahahahahaha! I gotta love this guy.
That post made me laugh.

But yeah, I can see that he just wants to save the place. John, go start an e-petition.
Yea like those have ever changed anything in the history of the world!

Old 03-02-2009, 05:05 PM   #7   [permalink]
Darkandiel

Yea like those have ever changed anything in the history of the world!
I lol'd. I was joking.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:26 PM   #8   [permalink]
cool2burn
Forum Master

You gotta be careful John dosent joke. your gonna get your self a 4 page report from him on the probibilities of a E-petintion working.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:40 PM   #9   [permalink]
Project Akira
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via AIM to Project Akira
You gotta be careful John dosent joke. your gonna get your self a 4 page report from him on the probibilities of a E-petintion working.
I'll be honest, I'm waiting for George to ban him for his rather rude remarks and out of line statements regardless of what truth they may contain. There's making a point and belaboring one.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:28 PM   #10   [permalink]
Darkandiel

Okay, I'll keep that in mind. 0o
I joke around a lot, so my sarcastic humour takes some getting used to I guess.
Old 05-02-2009, 07:09 AM   #11   [permalink]
eva2000
Administrator

Originally Posted by John Faulkner View Post
Congratulations!

Let us sacrifice a goat to board management for this enormous feat.

The forum in question was advertised in the Website reviews subforum and is called Anime Gaia:

http://animegaia.net/forum/

Notice that Anime Gaia, at the time of making this post, has had 11 new posts and 4 new topics over the last 24 hrs, which easily beats AnimeBoards over the same 24 hrs. Yet this place has some 5,500 members, that is 190 times more members.

Anyone got any ideas how this could have come about? I've got my answers, but let's see if some of the dummies that frequent AnimeBoards could chip in and come up with something.
Maybe cause their active members have more free time and less real life obligations than AB and are more concerned with posting about anime, than forum administration procedures ? It's not meant to be an insult directed at you as I do appreciate your suggestions and insights but it is also another factor.

But if you averaged the age of those 5,500+ AB members vs average age of that forum's members you'd see a trend. AB - probably be nearly all folks who after several years on the forums are now of working age, and probably with families of their own. Stress rich vs time poor.

Yes that leads to the need for new members as well and John's enthuisastic suggestions to improve AB which I appreciate.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:36 AM   #12   [permalink]
Mecha454
Forum Junkie

Send a message via AIM to Mecha454
Wise words eva2k. Wise words indeed.

-Sosuke Sagara

"We have begun third impact!"

My very own nOOB= Kaneda
Old 06-02-2009, 01:42 AM   #13   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned

Originally Posted by Mecha454 View Post
Wise words eva2k. Wise words indeed.
Seriously, can you actually think for yourself for once? I wrote a reply to Eva2k which addressed the points he has made, but for some reason, the mods have to approve it!?

The thought police are onto me!

EDIT: no, it's a bug in the system: if your post is too long, then a strange message pops up about moderators needing to approve your post and something about making a poll. Might want to get rid of that.

Last edited by John Faulkner; 06-02-2009 at 01:45 AM.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:43 AM   #14   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned

Hang on a minute people: this thread isn't about me, but about AnimeBoards. However, let me first get a word in edgeways concerning comments directed at myself, especially the egregious ones.

Originally Posted by cool2burn
Black_Knight and Darkandiel nailed it on the head and that's because like me, they're in tune with the current situation here and have solid ideas on how to forge a prosperous path into the future. If you don't get that by now, what planet have you been living on?

Whatevder i just think he likes to bitch
Oh really? Let me remind you of some of your recent posts this year, to illustrate what a giant hypocrite you are:

(http://www.animeboards.com/showthrea...#post537850814)
Watches a ragweed fly buy..............
(http://www.animeboards.com/showthrea...#post537850910)
Due to no one being able to join this board and waiting for weeks to get approved this place has pretty much died. A horrible board death. Killed by its unwillingness to change.
(http://www.animeboards.com/showthrea...#post537850875)
Where is the change i can believe in?
And here are three instances you felt the need to jump into my threads to moan, moan and moan about my posts without offering anything constructive:

(http://www.animeboards.com/showthread.php?t=61740)
However as I read it more the sheer lameness of this post made me think that I should:
1. Put on some soothing music
2. Draw a nice warm bath.
3. Relax in the bath and slit my wrists.
4. Go sleepy.
So in closing this board will never recover to its glory days. Get over it!
(http://www.animeboards.com/showthread.php?t=63366)
You should have started with the First Post ^^
(http://www.animeboards.com/showthread.php?t=61740) [same thread as for the first example, but for this quote, cool2burn jumps in a second time at a later date)
Pengi you forget the type of person that your talking to the type that nit picks other peoples grammar.... Im almost sure he doesn’t watch Anime because he likes it but to find all the grammar errors in the fansubbing and send emails to the fansub groups complaining and telling them how his awesome I am above you all thinking will fix all there grammar problems.
So you see, if you bother looking at the facts, you'd see quite clearly that it is cool2burn who has a penchant for bemoaning the terrible state of AnimeBoards without offering any helpful suggestions for improvement whatsoever, thus oozing negativity that will make old and new members permanently depressed. Now it strikes me that if one just oozes negativity like a rebel without a cause, then that is the person who truly deserves the accolade of being a bitching princess.

Let me ask you this cool2burn: if you dislike this place so much and take umbrage at my posts, why do you keep coming here? Why do you keep derailing my threads when I'm trying to improve this place you seem to hate so much? The mind boggles.

In contrast, I have offered many comments on the state of AnimeBoards and more importantly, backed them up with a wealth of logical arguments and hard facts. Furthermore, unlike cool2burn, I have offered many ideas for concrete actions that are realistic and which stand a chance of improving AnimeBoards.

Originally Posted by Darkandiel
Okay, I'll keep that in mind. 0o
Also bear in mind that the person you were conversing with is known to derail sensible threads for no apparent reason other than to stroke his own bizarre ego. To add to my examples above, I made a thread in the anime subforums on Hayao Miyazaki's experiences during WWII (http://www.animeboards.com/showthread.php?t=61741) and under no provocation this is what cool2burn came up with:
hmmmm....... There is no spoon?
Now with that kind of attitude, I'd be extremely wary of treating anything he says with any kind of credibility.

Last edited by John Faulkner; 06-02-2009 at 01:54 AM.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:44 AM   #15   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned

Originally Posted by Project Akira
I'll be honest, I'm waiting for George to ban him for his rather rude remarks and out of line statements regardless of what truth they may contain. There's making a point and belaboring one.
There are not many things ruder on a messageboard than publically calling for a fellow long-term member to be banned. But I guess you're not really interested in playing by your own standards .

When former moderator Glabrezu called me a f-uckwit, what did I do? Did I go crying to Eva2k for him to be banned? No, I took it on the chin and took it in my stride. When Schizm posted a picture of someone with a picture of Osama Bin Laden pasted over his face f-ucking someone with a face of George Bush on him, and this picture was not removed for over a week, did I go crying for him to be banned? No. We're adults and we can deal with issues without reverting to some superficial political correctness. You have to distinguish between delinquents who genuinely enjoy being rude in itself and those who appear to be rude but who are actually being blunt, honest and passionate.

And what you describe as "belabouring" a point is me updating my views with new evidence, new suggestions and new methods of presentation. You want me to stop "belabouring" points? Then try and address the points that I make by helping to realise concrete actions. Otherwise, what are you complaining about? If I stop "belabouring", who else is going to be pushing for change (apart from Black_Knight)? Look through the list of names at the bottom of this page, those people who are still coming to this place. Which one of those people are going to push for change in my absence eh? The shhhh! silent moderators? You? Yeah, exactly.

I speak for all those previous members who have left because of inactivity, so whenever I type feedback to Eva2k, I know I have the voices of the fallen on my side all the time, to add to my facts and first-hand experience. That's what lends true weight to my argument and that's why your crude depiction of my position is readily smashed into a billion insignificant fragments, like so many hopeless dreams.

Now that's out of the way, back to the topic at hand:

Originally Posted by Eva2k
Maybe cause their active members have more free time and less real life obligations than AB and are more concerned with posting about anime, than forum administration procedures ? It's not meant to be an insult directed at you as I do appreciate your suggestions and insights but it is also another factor.
That is a reasonable guess; however, one has to bear in mind that over the course of the previous few years, members have tried to make many posts in the anime subforums in the hope of generating activity, and I'm not just talking about myself. What happened? These member ended up talking to each other in the same old threads again and again, with no new people joining in. Then people got fed up and stopped posting. Nowadays, if you make a new thread or post, you'd be lucky to get a reply. For a live example, look at the threads by MeMyself, e.g. http://www.animeboards.com/showthread.php?t=63404. How many more times does this guy have to talk to himself here?

This is when you realise that things need to happen at a board management level to complement these uncoordinated actions by local members. This is something which your moderators would have picked up if they were in touch with events on the ground.

Originally Posted by Eva2k
But if you averaged the age of those 5,500+ AB members vs average age of that forum's members you'd see a trend. AB - probably be nearly all folks who after several years on the forums are now of working age, and probably with families of their own. Stress rich vs time poor.
We have some 190 times more members here, not just 5 times or 10 times more. For every 1 hr a member spends on Anime Gaia, a member here only needs to spend something like 20 s for there to be roughly an equal likelihood of getting the same number of posts. Now:

1. Not all 5,500+ of us are of working age, especially the newer members. With high probability, we have more than 29 members who are not of working age.

2. Even if you are of working age, that does not mean you stop going to messageboards or don't have time to post. That is a complete myth, because if you go to e.g. politics, boxing, MMA and football forums, you see posts by adults there everyday.

The truth is that when you are working, like myself, you prioritize your time more. You still have free time, unless you're one of those soul-less investment banker-types, but you have less of it than when you were studying, so you only do the things that are top of your list. The point is that if you have a messageboard that sparks stimulating debate on a regular basis, then visiting such a messageboard would move up this list and hence there is a greater likelihood of people of working age posting on that messageboard. That is what is missing here and that is why this place is not drawing older folks in. It's not just because all people at work or who are married never have any time, and a major factor is the attractiveness of this place.

3. You have some 2400 members, ranging from people who joined in 2000 to 2009, with 0 posts. This shows that a massive number of people sign up but don't post, and shows that there is little incentive for both the old people (mentioned in point 2.) and new people to post. Among other things, you need to differentiate this place to make it stand out somehow from places like Anime Gaia - what has AB got that AG doesn't? More activity? No. So why should people come here instead of over there? Don't just take it from me, take it from some of the older members here, including a former moderator (remembering that you trust your moderators):

(http://www.animeboards.com/showthrea...t=61086&page=6)
Originally Posted by Aku Shi
Why should they choose this board over all the other anime forums that are popping up everywhere? This place needs to come up with something that will make it stand out somehow.
Originally Posted by Drizzten
There's the key. Why go outside massive social networks to talk about anime when there are already groups and forums dedicated to the topic? It's another public profile to maintain, one more password to remember. Some anime-only communities have a connection to the industry, be it distributive, retail, production, or news. I've never spent time in other large anime forums so I don't know what their cultures are like, but that's a factor as well. Do AB's competitors have a SomethingAwful-like atmosphere among their active membership?
Also, if you're worried about costs, then you can literally delete hundreds of inactive accounts. If you haven't posted for over 2 yrs and have never posted, then let's face it, you're never going to post. Sentimentality doesn't even enter the equation here. This is something I flagged years ago.

This is why I cannot accept your assessment of AB Vs AG.

Last edited by John Faulkner; 06-02-2009 at 02:04 AM.
Closed Thread