Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2009, 03:18 AM   #16   [permalink]
Pengi_Ken-Ohki
Registered User
 
Pengi_Ken-Ohki's Avatar
 
Join Date: 23 Sep 2000
Location: 0.0
Posts: 11,640
Send a message via ICQ to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via AIM to Pengi_Ken-Ohki Send a message via Yahoo to Pengi_Ken-Ohki
Pfft, I prolly have msn conversations that occur faster than that board's posts, and thats with just 2 people!

Imagine how lively this board could be if Eva2k cut it down to just 1 member (me plx!)
Pengi_Ken-Ohki is offline  
Old 06-02-2009, 02:46 PM   #17   [permalink]
Darkandiel
Junior Member
 
Darkandiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: 19 Jun 2008
Posts: 34
Send a message via MSN to Darkandiel
Quote:
Also bear in mind that the person you were conversing with is known to derail sensible threads for no apparent reason other than to stroke his own bizarre ego. To add to my examples above, I made a thread in the anime subforums on Hayao Miyazaki's experiences during WWII (http://www.animeboards.com/showthread.php?t=61741) and under no provocation this is what cool2burn came up with:
Okay, I guess I better put the joking aside. I'm not making any judgements whatsoever on anyone based off someone else's opinion. I don't do that, so don't worry. I'm a completely neutral party here. I don't know anyone on here at all really. Things haven't exactly been active enough for me to get to know people in the space of time I've been here xD
Darkandiel is offline  
Old 06-02-2009, 03:50 PM   #18   [permalink]
cool2burn
Forum Master
 
cool2burn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 14 Jan 2001
Location: Yokosuka, Japan
Posts: 2,253
Send a message via ICQ to cool2burn Send a message via AIM to cool2burn Send a message via Yahoo to cool2burn
Dont Worry HE JUST WISHES HE COULD BE AS COOL AS ME or maybe its my hot ass god i hate the creepy stalker types eeeeekkkkk. BTW he can not handle any humor in any way possible. Seems he is so uptight even the smallest remarks freak him out. But not no worry i know how to slove this. *MOVE OUT OF YOUR MOMMIES CLOSET* Thats right there is a big world out there full of exciting things away from the internet. You know the real reason people dont post here much anymore? MOST OF US :

1. GOT JOBS
2. MOVED OUT OF OUR PARENTS HOUSES (HINT HINT)
3. GOT MARRIED OR FOUND LOVE
4. JUST GOT A LIFE.

So plese forgive us owe lord of the internet we are so sorry we cannot post to you standard due to having better things to do.

Now here is the truth for you of what will happen if a bunch of new people come here:

1. TONS OF POSTS ABOUT SENSELESS CRAP WITH PEOPLE OBSESSED WITH INCREASING THER POST RATES.

2. SPAM YOU CAN HAVE THIS

3. OLDER MEMBERS GETTING ANNOYED BY NOOBS

4. EVA2K BEING FORCED TO PAY MORE MONEY

I KINDA LIKE THESE BOARDS THE WAY THEY ARE A SMALL GROUP OF PEOPLE POSTING ABOUT RANDOM CRAP.
__________________
Kill the Spiders to save the butterflies..............
But by doing this one does not realize that they become the spider.......

http://www.willworkformunchies.com/i...yStarDance.gif

Last edited by cool2burn; 06-02-2009 at 03:52 PM.
cool2burn is offline  
Old 06-02-2009, 06:18 PM   #19   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned
 
Join Date: 20 Mar 2001
Location: England
Posts: 1,535
Originally Posted by cool2burn
Dont Worry HE JUST WISHES HE COULD BE AS COOL AS ME or maybe its my hot ass god i hate the creepy stalker types eeeeekkkkk. BTW he can not handle any humor in any way possible. Seems he is so uptight even the smallest remarks freak him out.
I’m not sure if your teachers or parents ever told you this (even if they did, I doubt that you were able to comprehend the message), but the general idea of growing up is that you start forming more coherent thoughts and become more able to communicate with other people, such that others understand what you’re saying. You may be growing older, but your posts are 100% proof that your mindset has not evolved with your body, and is still left in primary school.

As for humour, it is incredibly difficult to laugh with you rather than at you because of your incoherent posts. Whenever people here try to engage you in conversation and scratch the surface of your online persona just a little bit, you respond like a hysterical woman who ignores all the logical arguments that people make, e.g.

Dont Worry HE JUST WISHES HE COULD BE AS COOL AS ME or maybe its my hot ass god i hate the creepy stalker types eeeeekkkkk

I’m sorry, how old are you? And you’re the one lecturing people here on growing up?

Originally Posted by cool2burn
But not no worry i know how to slove this. *MOVE OUT OF YOUR MOMMIES CLOSET* Thats right there is a big world out there full of exciting things away from the internet. You know the real reason people dont post here much anymore? MOST OF US :

1. GOT JOBS
2. MOVED OUT OF OUR PARENTS HOUSES (HINT HINT)
3. GOT MARRIED OR FOUND LOVE
4. JUST GOT A LIFE.
There are exciting things away from the Internet? No s-hit Sherlock, thanks for enlightening us all – you should be a life coach or something. As someone who has lived independently in several countries round the world and who has racked up enough air miles to go round the world at least 3 times within the last 3 years alone, it is highly amusing to see a bloody immature dingbat, who is psychologically still suckling at his mommy’s teats and is probably still wasting his time playing online games in a dingy basement he rented from the local prostitute, attempting to give life lessons to people. Also, you can have a life and post on messageboards, as I have alluded to in my previous post, which of course you ignore by reverting to type. Obviously, if you post random crap (see below), then you will be wasting your life, but guess what? There are a lot of people that don't.

The fact that you’ve used caps here demonstrates how insecure you are about what you say. As I said, just like a hysterical woman or a baby throwing toys out of the pram.

Originally Posted by cool2burn
So plese forgive us owe lord of the internet we are so sorry we cannot post to you standard due to having better things to do.
Please forgive us O Master of Life Outside the Internet, we have never got jobs before or lived independently before or had relationships with the opposite sex or had a life and we cannot hope to possibly attain your profound insights into the joys of life offline! You know what, we’re exactly like Chihiro at the beginning of Spirited Away – completely wrapped in cotton wool and completely naÔve about everything on God’s green earth. Thank you kindly for revealing the mysteries and secrets of life to us all, O Teacher! My life will never be the same again!

Originally Posted by cool2burn
Now here is the truth for you of what will happen if a bunch of new people come here:
1. TONS OF POSTS ABOUT SENSELESS CRAP WITH PEOPLE OBSESSED WITH INCREASING THER POST RATES.
How? More people here would mean more discussions on anime, you know just what it was like some 3 yrs ago. In fact, discussions on anime are supposed to be and were the main attraction here, and history has shown that we do have sensible discussions if the people are there.

Originally Posted by cool2burn
2. SPAM YOU CAN HAVE THIS
Not if the moderators are doing their jobs.

Originally Posted by cool2burn
3. OLDER MEMBERS GETTING ANNOYED BY NOOBS
Not if new members discuss anime – the few who have posted are 100 times less annoying than some older members.

Originally Posted by cool2burn
4. EVA2K BEING FORCED TO PAY MORE MONEY
Won’t happen if he gets rid of inactive accounts and manages the increase. Also, the main increase in costs results from more members being online rather than the number of posts, so you can have a strategy that aims to increase posting rate per member rather than one that focuses on increasing the number of members coming online at once.

Originally Posted by cool2burn
I KINDA LIKE THESE BOARDS THE WAY THEY ARE A SMALL GROUP OF PEOPLE POSTING ABOUT RANDOM CRAP.
Correction, after a few weeks here in 2009, I have come to the conclusion that there still some members here who want to discuss anime and other issues sensibly. MeMyself does not post random crap. Sunset’s professional-standard comic strip is not random crap. Darkandiel does not post random crap and Black_Knight’s posts also make sense. New members such as Katerine do not post random crap, but have tried to stimulate discussions in the anime subforums. Eva2k doesn’t post random crap. YOU post random crap. Don’t sully everybody’s name here with your inadequacy.

This is the truth of the matter - when AnimeBoards was active and properly moderated, f-ucking wind-up merchants like cool2burn who never contribute to discussions are ignored and treated like the pariahs they deserve to be. It’s only when this place has died and moderation becomes non-existent that these dregs of society are able to assert themselves and have a bit of a voice – you know, like scum forming and rising to the top of a liquid. This obviously excites them to the point that they start posting random crap and expect people to enjoy it or laugh with them or something.

So let’s see: someone who’s apparently got better things to do and who sings about the virtues of off-line activities is content to continually come here, hang around doing nothing and post random crap time after time after time. You can’t make this stuff up. Yes, cool2burn, we believe you, sure you have better things to do .

Yeah, so as anyone who is not blind can see, your arguments are not supported by anything. Now do you understand why nobody here ever listens to you cool2burn? This is why I compared you to Ban Ki-moon, but I suppose that level of humour is too sophisticated for your drab, under-developed outlook. And you have the nerve to say I don't have a sense of humour .

Last edited by John Faulkner; 06-02-2009 at 07:11 PM.
John Faulkner is offline  
Old 07-02-2009, 05:59 PM   #20   [permalink]
Darkandiel
Junior Member
 
Darkandiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: 19 Jun 2008
Posts: 34
Send a message via MSN to Darkandiel
Originally Posted by cool2burn View Post
Now here is the truth for you of what will happen if a bunch of new people come here:

1. TONS OF POSTS ABOUT SENSELESS CRAP WITH PEOPLE OBSESSED WITH INCREASING THER POST RATES.

2. SPAM YOU CAN HAVE THIS

3. OLDER MEMBERS GETTING ANNOYED BY NOOBS

4. EVA2K BEING FORCED TO PAY MORE MONEY

I KINDA LIKE THESE BOARDS THE WAY THEY ARE A SMALL GROUP OF PEOPLE POSTING ABOUT RANDOM CRAP.
1.Well that is the attitude that people had at a forum I used to post on. It's now gone after being reduced to 0 members after the vets chased everyone off. No one hates post whores more than I, but they can be kept under a certain amount of control.

2.But spam is a part of every forum, that's what moderators are for, deleting spam, handing out infractions or bans when needed.

3.Typical elitism. n00bs get on my nerves too, with the "I r nu, b mah fwend" but some of them end up being good members. One of the reasons that I don't post here too often is because there is nothing to discuss and I feel intimidated when it comes to certain topics because they seem to go off topic and I don't know anyone so I tend not to get involved in those "discussions".

4. Donation button, decrease the size of PM boxes, purge all inactive accounts(n00bs who posted once and left)

You like it small, but you can't deny that it needs more activity, even the current posters will move on eventually. Random crap could be regarded as spam 0o


I'm not a revolutionary like John. I can only make suggestions, and you know, suggestions are not always right.

Last edited by Darkandiel; 07-02-2009 at 06:05 PM.
Darkandiel is offline  
Old 08-02-2009, 12:09 PM   #21   [permalink]
Project Akira
V.I.P. Member
 
Project Akira's Avatar
 
Join Date: 30 Jan 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 8,330
Send a message via AIM to Project Akira
Originally Posted by John Faulkner View Post
There are not many things ruder on a messageboard than publically calling for a fellow long-term member to be banned. But I guess you're not really interested in playing by your own standards .
I didn't say I wanted you banned. I said I was waiting for you to be banned. It's pretty clear in the words I typed.

Originally Posted by John Faulkner View Post
When former moderator Glabrezu called me a f-uckwit, what did I do? Did I go crying to Eva2k for him to be banned? No, I took it on the chin and took it in my stride. When Schizm posted a picture of someone with a picture of Osama Bin Laden pasted over his face f-ucking someone with a face of George Bush on him, and this picture was not removed for over a week, did I go crying for him to be banned? No. We're adults and we can deal with issues without reverting to some superficial political correctness. You have to distinguish between delinquents who genuinely enjoy being rude in itself and those who appear to be rude but who are actually being blunt, honest and passionate.
Personally, I would have contacted another mod or Eva if I had been you. Breaking board rules is breaking board rules regardless of if you take it on the chin or not. Also how effective is constantly telling Eva 2K he is doing a bad job working for you? Being blunt works sometimes I'm not going to argue that but it only works for so long. People do appreciate honesty yeah, it's why my friends offline appreciate me. However, people can only take that kind of communication for so long before they feel insulted or infuriated. How constructive is being blunt though? Has Eva made the changes or listened to your reasons for you think he should with the way you've been communicating with him? It's entirely possible that he knows all the facts you're presenting with him but as someone who well has a life offline (anyone remember when he lost a finger?), maintaining a messageboard of this size at this point by himself is pretty difficult. Could he use more mods and maybe a second admin? Probably but that's his decision to make as he owns the board.

Originally Posted by John Faulkner View Post
And what you describe as "belabouring" a point is me updating my views with new evidence, new suggestions and new methods of presentation. You want me to stop "belabouring" points? Then try and address the points that I make by helping to realise concrete actions. Otherwise, what are you complaining about? If I stop "belabouring", who else is going to be pushing for change (apart from Black_Knight)? Look through the list of names at the bottom of this page, those people who are still coming to this place. Which one of those people are going to push for change in my absence eh? The shhhh! silent moderators? You? Yeah, exactly.
But what have you actually accomplished with all of this? You can keep presenting us "new evidence, new suggestions and new methods of presentation" but have you convinced anyone of anything or persuaded them? Honestly, you again have to look at how effective you've been with those things. Honestly, you again have to look at how effective you've been with those things. If people are criticizing your methods when you are trying to make honest points (which I'm not going to argue), then something needs to reexamined in that presentation I would say. Right now, since this seems to be all you talk about

Why haven't I done anything? I'll be honest I come here out of nostalgia. While I wasn't the most liked person on the boards during it's height and I'm sort of embarassed that a good deal of my problems and issues are on this board for anyone to see, I still come here because I did have a good time. However other than nostalgia there really isn't much here for me. One of the reasons that I came here was because I knew almost nobody in my hometown into this anime, manga, and Japanese culture. This board served that function. Today though? Most of my discussion needs are filled by talking to people offline about anime and mostly manga. I come here really to just to let the people I don't keep in contact with from here updated and some of the things I learned in life. I've occasionally posted about manga I've been reading but it feels redundant at this point. Fan art and art discussion? I go to art school. I hang out with artists. There's no real need to put my stuff up here for that. Really why talk to someone here when I can just talk to one of my friends about it where I'll get a much faster response?

I also argue (and I think I've said this before) everything has a life cycle. As much as I like the redesign, I think it might be too little too late. The break that happened 4 years ago I'm sure killed anyone's desire to come here but honestly that decline might have occurred anyways. If you pull a Doctor Frankenstein, congrats to you. However, I think the only way you're going to put life into this board isn't by getting the people that lurk here to post or use the methods you've suggested to others, you're going to have to ask "What does Animeboards offer that other boards don't offer?' before you really do anything. You figure out an answer to that and I wouldn't be surprised if that provides more answers in a more constructive fashion than anything anyone else has done.

Originally Posted by John Faulkner View Post
I speak for all those previous members who have left because of inactivity, so whenever I type feedback to Eva2k, I know I have the voices of the fallen on my side all the time, to add to my facts and first-hand experience. That's what lends true weight to my argument and that's why your crude depiction of my position is readily smashed into a billion insignificant fragments, like so many hopeless dreams.
And I'm sure those members who left due to inactivity found other message boards that served their needs better than this one same as any new member. I'm really glad that there is one or two people frequently I know you've argued "then why not try to get older members to come here?" Looking at the top posters of Animeboards, I can say off the top of my head, a few of them got married, others left because of personal issues with other members, I know of those members went to Japan, and the rest I'm sure found greener pastures.

Crude depiction of your position? Me saying that you're constantly making the same point over and over again without or causing any real change to the board? That looks like your position to be blunt. I'm not going to argue that you've been making honest points, but the voices of the fallen? I'll be blunt here, that statement is pure ego. Unless you have emails or private messages from members who have said to you "John Faulkner thank you for speaking for us, we have no voice of our own", it can be said that this is your crusade. If they were that vocal, they one would have posted on here thus generating discussions or talked to Eva about all this. The truth of the matter here is again that one, all things have a natural life cycle this board included, second anime has become more widely available and popular than it was during the heyday thus people are not in need of this type of internet forum as much, and finally, I don't think that anyone has asked the real "what does or can this board offer that no other internet forum can?"

I'm not going to argue this anymore nor will I respond to anything you might say John because that's not going to be constructive to either of us. If this board is going get revitalized in any fashion then bickering between members about how it's falling apart serves no one. I know I'm not the one to revitalize it but if anyone is going to do it then they need to do it in a constructive fashion.
__________________
Quote:
If by high art you mean it's fun to smoke pot and look at Mike Mignola's art, I'm in total agreement.
- Tom Spurgeon (writer for the comics journal), on whether or not Mike Mignola's Hellboy is high art
Project Akira is offline  
Old 09-02-2009, 12:01 AM   #22   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned
 
Join Date: 20 Mar 2001
Location: England
Posts: 1,535
Before I respond to Darkandiel and Project Akira, and I'm loving the passion here, I think a musical interlude is in order for everyone to gather their thoughts:

Sung to the tune of Lord of the Dance - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fzRZuGEr04
Each set of lines is supposed to refer to the person whose name is given previously in brackets.

Lord of the Post

(Eva2k)

I made AnimeBoards when the world was young
I gave up my cash, and my time – it was fun
I came down from Brisbane and I danced on AB
In 2000 it had its birth.

Post, then, wherever you may be
I am the lord of the post said he
And I lead you all wherever you may be
And I lead you all to post on AB

(Me)

I called out the mods with my new strategies
They wouldn’t post, they wouldn’t follow me
I said this place is just like fooking s-hit
Glabrezu said I was a f-uckwit

Post, then, wherever you may be
‘cause God this place needs more posts said he
And old members you are all just like dummies
Why the f-uck you don’t post more puzzles me

(cool2burn)

We’ve all got jobs and we’ve all got a life
That is why we don’t care enough to fight
I spam this place to death and hang it out to dry
Left AB on the cross to die

Spam, then, wherever you may be
I am the lord of the spam said he
And I lead you all wherever you may be
And I will lead you all to spam AB

(Project Akira)

Oh how rude, I’m waiting for George to ban him
It’s your crusade; chances of success are slim
We would care but we don’t really give a s-hit
Remember when George’s finger took a hit [it was actually a member of his family]

Post, then, wherever you may be
But that sure as hell doesn’t apply to me
And I lead you all to inactivity
Because new ideas I cannot see

Last edited by John Faulkner; 09-02-2009 at 12:06 AM.
John Faulkner is offline  
Old 09-02-2009, 01:03 AM   #23   [permalink]
cool2burn
Forum Master
 
cool2burn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 14 Jan 2001
Location: Yokosuka, Japan
Posts: 2,253
Send a message via ICQ to cool2burn Send a message via AIM to cool2burn Send a message via Yahoo to cool2burn
Originally Posted by
([I
cool2burn[/I])

We’ve all got jobs and we’ve all got a life
That is why we don’t care enough to fight
I spam this place to death and hang it out to dry
Left AB on the cross to die

Spam, then, wherever you may be
I am the lord of the spam said he
And I lead you all wherever you may be
And I will lead you all to spam AB

(Project Akira)
Now that made me chuckle a little! Although

I am the lord of the spam said he (hmmmmm....)

Last i checked this is what spam is...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spam_(electronic)

also this



or even this



http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spam_(Monty_Python)

None of which is what I do I just point out how stupid it is to keep making these types of threads

Also if i was new to a board and i saw a bunch of posts like this id just leave saying this place is dead right off the bat..

Just food for thought
__________________
Kill the Spiders to save the butterflies..............
But by doing this one does not realize that they become the spider.......

http://www.willworkformunchies.com/i...yStarDance.gif

Last edited by cool2burn; 09-02-2009 at 07:03 AM.
cool2burn is offline  
Old 09-02-2009, 10:50 PM   #24   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned
 
Join Date: 20 Mar 2001
Location: England
Posts: 1,535
Originally Posted by Darkandiel View Post
1.Well that is the attitude that people had at a forum I used to post on. It's now gone after being reduced to 0 members after the vets chased everyone off. No one hates post whores more than I, but they can be kept under a certain amount of control.
Post whores are the least of AB's problems - post virgins are the problem.

Originally Posted by Darkandiel View Post
2.But spam is a part of every forum, that's what moderators are for, deleting spam, handing out infractions or bans when needed.
And that is why it is so important that the moderators do their job properly, and why they can be the lynchpin of a successful strategy for reincarnation of these boards. But I've been getting bad vibes from the moderators at AB for years, which serve as a bottleneck for improvement.

Originally Posted by Darkandiel View Post
3.Typical elitism. n00bs get on my nerves too, with the "I r nu, b mah fwend" but some of them end up being good members. One of the reasons that I don't post here too often is because there is nothing to discuss and I feel intimidated when it comes to certain topics because they seem to go off topic and I don't know anyone so I tend not to get involved in those "discussions".
One of my more advanced suggestions for the revival of AB was to consider raising the lower age limit for registration, which would cut down on the probability of illiterate juveniles using text-speak. But we havenít even sorted out the basics here yet.

I canít see what you would be intimidated by here apart from the deadly silence that threatens to suffocate any living thing. Sure, itís like speaking to strangers at a bus stop on a cold and dreary night, but any new member that stays for as long as you have must have real courage and fortitude, and hence the power to overcome the intoxicating spell of silence cast by the legion of dummies here.

Members Only has turned into a place for bloody spam-fests and old members who pop in once in a blue moon, give an update on what type of lipstick they used for their wedding or something and then disappear into the ether again (wasnít always like this). The anime subforums tend to stay more on topic, but itís pretty much like talking to oneself there.

Originally Posted by Darkandiel View Post
4. Donation button, decrease the size of PM boxes, purge all inactive accounts(n00bs who posted once and left)
I donít think this place ever had a donations button, even at its peak, so this is a real trick that can reap in huge cash rewards for Eva2k, particularly if he markets this correctly. Decreasing PM boxes is also a great idea: who the hell keeps 6,000 PMs around here anyway? As I mentioned in a previous post in this thread, there are some 2,400 members with no posts to their name, so you can just get rid of all this trash.

Originally Posted by Darkandiel View Post
You like it small, but you can't deny that it needs more activity, even the current posters will move on eventually. Random crap could be regarded as spam 0o
The fact is current posters have already moved on and weíre already down to the hardcore of the hardcore. The very fact that Eva2k is one of the most active posters here should already be seen as a huge warning sign that this place is at deathís door.

Originally Posted by Darkandiel View Post
I'm not a revolutionary like John. I can only make suggestions, and you know, suggestions are not always right.
If youíre enough of a masochist and stay here for 2+ yrs, you too will easily become radicalized once you see the glacial speed at which change is enacted here.

Originally Posted by Project Akira View Post
I didn't say I wanted you banned. I said I was waiting for you to be banned. It's pretty clear in the words I typed.
It was a clear insinuation that I should be banned for my perceived rudeness and thus an indirect attempt to influence decisions at board management level, as well as revealing your stance on the matter.

Originally Posted by Project Akira View Post
Also how effective is constantly telling Eva 2K he is doing a bad job working for you? Has Eva made the changes or listened to your reasons for you think he should with the way you've been communicating with him?
This is answered below.

Originally Posted by Project Akira View Post
It's entirely possible that he knows all the facts you're presenting with him but as someone who well has a life offline (anyone remember when he lost a finger?), maintaining a messageboard of this size at this point by himself is pretty difficult.
And itís entirely possible that he doesnít know all the facts that Iím presenting him, since heís never actually confirmed that he does. You should ask him about this, not me. He didnít lose a finger, it was a member of his family. Also, it happened in 2002, when this place was in its salad days so there is no correlation between the fingers incident and the effectiveness of board management. And Iíve already taken into account the lack of time he has by suggesting p-iss easy changes that take very little time to implement, such as archiving/deleting inactive subforums. So he canít really use that as an excuse anymore.

Originally Posted by Project Akira View Post
Could he use more mods and maybe a second admin? Probably but that's his decision to make as he owns the board.
We ordinary posters also spend our time here voluntarily and hence we also have some say in what we would like to see happen. The final decision rests with the admin, but we can certainly use this subforum to try and influence his decisions, especially if theyíre rational, benefits both the admin and ordinary board users, and are backed up by hard facts.

Originally Posted by Project Akira View Post
But what have you actually accomplished with all of this? You can keep presenting us "new evidence, new suggestions and new methods of presentation" but have you convinced anyone of anything or persuaded them? Honestly, you again have to look at how effective you've been with those things. Honestly, you again have to look at how effective you've been with those things. If people are criticizing your methods when you are trying to make honest points (which I'm not going to argue), then something needs to reexamined in that presentation I would say. Right now, since this seems to be all you talk about
Here is my resume vis-ŗ-vis changing AnimeBoards:

1. As a direct result of one of my suggestions in my Masterplan for Improvement ©, new member Katerine lobbied Eva2k further for a quicker way of approving new members (http://www.animeboards.com/showpost....6&postcount=26). This method is now being trialled (http://www.animeboards.com/showpost....5&postcount=25).

2. I endorsed a suggestion to change the formatting of the years on all posts from e.g. 09 to 2009, to facilitate searching through old posts for yanks. This was implemented (http://www.animeboards.com/showthrea...#post537851072).

3. Before Eva2k re-designed this place, I expressed the need to hurry the hell up and implement changes here at http://www.animeboards.com/showthread.php?t=60530. This reminded the admin of his revival plan for this place and changes were implemented not long after. In the same thread, I provided feedback on how effective the changes have been using a detailed SWOT analysis and held an innovative self-styled Town Meeting to Decide the Ultimate Fate of AnimeBoards ©, both of which outlined constructive ways for improvement.

4. When AnimeBoards inexplicably stopped approving new members, I pointed this out here: http://www.animeboards.com/showthread.php?t=60529. This was acknowledged by Eva2k and slowly but surely, new members started to be approved again. The way I noticed this was by making Introduction threads for new members and seeing that nobody responded, which made me suspicious that the approval system was defunct.

5. I made a questionnaire for members, so that people can give feedback to board management (http://www.animeboards.com/showthread.php?t=62960). Together with other threads, this has encouraged new members, who manage other messageboards, to give helpful advice.

That good enough for you boss? The facts are that Iíve been successful using my strategy, so honestly, you need to acknowledge what has been accomplished before jumping onto the bandwagon and jabbing fingers at my current strategy. Or maybe youíd like to point me to another strategy that has worked better for another member here with respect to changing this place from its current status quo? Can you do that? Thought not.

Originally Posted by Project Akira View Post
Why haven't I done anything? I'll be honest I come here out of nostalgia. While I wasn't the most liked person on the boards during it's height and I'm sort of embarassed that a good deal of my problems and issues are on this board for anyone to see, I still come here because I did have a good time. However other than nostalgia there really isn't much here for me. One of the reasons that I came here was because I knew almost nobody in my hometown into this anime, manga, and Japanese culture. This board served that function. Today though? Most of my discussion needs are filled by talking to people offline about anime and mostly manga. I come here really to just to let the people I don't keep in contact with from here updated and some of the things I learned in life. I've occasionally posted about manga I've been reading but it feels redundant at this point. Fan art and art discussion? I go to art school. I hang out with artists. There's no real need to put my stuff up here for that. Really why talk to someone here when I can just talk to one of my friends about it where I'll get a much faster response?
In its current state, there is no reason, but as I have said to Eva2k and other people many times, if this place becomes more active, then a messageboard offers the advantages of more people to communicate with, thus offering more views, and user-friendliness, in the sense that you can conduct discussions with many people in the comfort of your own home, and in your own time. Also, you could discuss certain topics in more detail Ė e.g. as Iíve said before, the average person living in the city of a developed city may have heard of anime, but not many would want to discuss the symbolic meaning of Princess Mononoke in the pub after work (such types of topics have been discussed here before).
John Faulkner is offline  
Old 09-02-2009, 10:51 PM   #25   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned
 
Join Date: 20 Mar 2001
Location: England
Posts: 1,535
Originally Posted by Project Akira View Post
I also argue (and I think I've said this before) everything has a life cycle. As much as I like the redesign, I think it might be too little too late. The break that happened 4 years ago I'm sure killed anyone's desire to come here but honestly that decline might have occurred anyways. If you pull a Doctor Frankenstein, congrats to you. However, I think the only way you're going to put life into this board isn't by getting the people that lurk here to post or use the methods you've suggested to others, you're going to have to ask "What does Animeboards offer that other boards don't offer?' before you really do anything. You figure out an answer to that and I wouldn't be surprised if that provides more answers in a more constructive fashion than anything anyone else has done.
You have zero empirical evidence to show that this place won’t become more active, perhaps maybe just a little, with more fundamental changes. A re-design is not a fundamental change and the last re-design in 2004 or so did not work, so why does anyone think it would work now just on its own? You also have zero empirical evidence to show that my suggestions would not work because they have not been implemented fully at all and are based on logic and hard facts.

Other members have already asked "What does Animeboards offer that other boards don't offer?' and I drew attention to this in an earlier post to Eva2k in this thread. I have also made a thread which attempted to elicit the future strategies and visions of the moderators http://www.animeboards.com/showthread.php?t=61740, which was supposed to lead onto how to differentiate AB with respect to other anime messageboards, but there has been no response to date. I’ve already got ideas on how to differentiate AnimeBoards, but you don’t do that until you have the basics correct, such as making sure the mods are doing their jobs properly and deleting inactive subforums, to see what effect these basic changes have – i.e. use an iterative procedure that makes basic changes first at the base of the pyramid. Also, I alluded to the differential advantage of AB over its competitors in my SWOT analysis here http://www.animeboards.com/showpost....6&postcount=15, and I’ve also identified at least one advantage of AB over other anime messageboards, namely the freedom to talk about politics and religion in the off-topic subforums (http://www.animeboards.com/showpost....18&postcount=3).

As for constructive suggestions, among other things, see my Masterplan for Improvement, SWOT analysis and the Town Meeting (http://www.animeboards.com/showthread.php?t=61086), where I have detailed practical action points for existing members, the admin and the moderators to increase activity.

Originally Posted by Project Akira View Post
And I'm sure those members who left due to inactivity found other message boards that served their needs better than this one same as any new member. I'm really glad that there is one or two people frequently I know you've argued "then why not try to get older members to come here?" Looking at the top posters of Animeboards, I can say off the top of my head, a few of them got married, others left because of personal issues with other members, I know of those members went to Japan, and the rest I'm sure found greener pastures.
It’s not hard to see why some old members barely post here because we keep seeing sporadic updates by people in Members Only, which serve as public broadcast announcements that a person has become engaged or married, or in one very extreme case, died.

Originally Posted by Project Akira View Post
Crude depiction of your position? Me saying that you're constantly making the same point over and over again without or causing any real change to the board? That looks like your position to be blunt.
That is a crude mischaracterization of my position because I make many different points and there have been changes due to my suggestions. To be blunt, it seems like you haven’t even bothered reading my previous suggestions properly, so how you believe you can give a true representation of my position is beyond me.

Originally Posted by Project Akira View Post
I'm not going to argue that you've been making honest points, but the voices of the fallen? I'll be blunt here, that statement is pure ego. Unless you have emails or private messages from members who have said to you "John Faulkner thank you for speaking for us, we have no voice of our own", it can be said that this is your crusade. If they were that vocal, they one would have posted on here thus generating discussions or talked to Eva about all this. The truth of the matter here is again that one, all things have a natural life cycle this board included, second anime has become more widely available and popular than it was during the heyday thus people are not in need of this type of internet forum as much, and finally,
No, as I have documented in extensive posts, this place could have done a whole lot more to stem the fall down the s-hithole – e.g. see discussion here at http://www.animeboards.com/showthread.php?t=62960, but for some strange reason, old members keep carting out the same old horses-hit without an iota of empirical evidence. That is the truth of the matter.

And why do I need e-mails or private messages to show that people have left because of inactivity, when this has been bloody flung out into the public domain by a moderator - http://www.animeboards.com/showthread.php?t=60421 ? As you can see, people in that thread have deserted to other websites (including anime ones) and it doesn’t take a brain surgeon to infer from that thread that a major reason is lack of activity here. It also shows these people do still have spare time to spend online, despite probably having jobs and “a life”. Now these people aren’t going to waste their time giving feedback to board management, but these people would likely say the same things as I am saying now if they did. That is why these people are on my side and not yours, and that is why the views I bring up to board management are not exclusive to me. Hell, even new members agree with me to a certain extent, so it’s a joke to say that this is my “crusade”. If I wanted to go on a “crusade”, I’d do a f-uckload more than typing up a bunch of words.

Originally Posted by Project Akira View Post
I don't think that anyone has asked the real "what does or can this board offer that no other internet forum can?"
People have asked that. I’ve asked that in THIS thread, here: (http://www.animeboards.com/showpost....7&postcount=15)

Originally Posted by Me
Among other things, you need to differentiate this place to make it stand out somehow from places like Anime Gaia - what has AB got that AG doesn't? More activity? No. So why should people come here instead of over there? Don't just take it from me, take it from some of the older members here, including a former moderator (remembering that you trust your moderators)
One of the bloody points of this thread is to show how AB is not better than AG even in terms of activity and hence cannot even offer more activity than a board with 29 members! The fact you’ve missed this out shows the trouble with old members like you who see fit to criticize what people like myself and Black_Knight have been doing. You don’t realize how far down the road we are in the discussions in terms of the level of detail covered, the arguments already covered and the changes that have happened.

The trouble is that old members like you jump in and start criticizing with no solid facts to back them up and offer the same old arguments that have been crushed several times over by hard facts and logical rebuttals.

At the end of the day, to be frank, this means that you and old members like you don’t know what they’re talking about when it comes to changing AB for the better. Old members like you have completely lost the plot and have become stuck in the past permanently.

Originally Posted by Project Akira View Post
I'm not going to argue this anymore nor will I respond to anything you might say John because that's not going to be constructive to either of us.
We both know the real reason why you have backed out of this argument before even hearing my response: it’s because your position is not based on reality and is therefore smashed into a billion insignificant fragments. That is why nobody should accept your position or take what you said with respect to the decline of AnimeBoards seriously.

Originally Posted by Project Akira View Post
If this board is going get revitalized in any fashion then bickering between members about how it's falling apart serves no one.
Au contraire: gaze upon the changes and improvements mentioned above, which have been made due to this “bickering” (read: exciting debate on the Future of AnimeBoards)

Originally Posted by Project Akira View Post
I know I'm not the one to revitalize it but if anyone is going to do it then they need to do it in a constructive fashion.
In other words, you can’t be arsed to do anything yet you feel the need to criticize people that are doing something by making totally flawed arguments . Anyone who is truly objective will see who is being constructive here.

Originally Posted by cool2burn
Also if i was new to a board and i saw a bunch of posts like this id just leave saying this place is dead right off the bat..

Just food for thought
If I was new to a place like this and saw a tiny amount of activity going on and no signs of change, then I’d p-iss off without a second thought. These threads in the Contact Admin subforum at least give more activity.

Just food for thought.

Last edited by John Faulkner; 09-02-2009 at 10:53 PM.
John Faulkner is offline  
Old 10-02-2009, 05:00 PM   #26   [permalink]
Project Akira
V.I.P. Member
 
Project Akira's Avatar
 
Join Date: 30 Jan 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 8,330
Send a message via AIM to Project Akira
I'm not going to respond to this most recent post because frankly it's only going to lead to squabbling that doesn't help these boards or each of us at all. We're both better people than this. All I'm going to say in response to you John is that some people might want to help you but you're making it very hard because you're being pretty antagonistic. You're last post in response to me actually got me to make some posts here in anime forums. Many of the points in this most recent one are true and some I feel are twisting my words around to suit your points but on the whole you're right. I agree with most of your points that you've made here and in the past in regards to making the boards more active. Are the boards going to be like they used to be? No, that life cycle is over and you're right wallowing in the past isn't going to help us. So I have no problem admitting we do need to have new ideas and new approaches to getting Animeboards on new legs.

I realize at this point after what close to at least a year of wanting to do this that you're probably feeling angered that no one here is doing anything besides yourself. However, I don't think making angry statements on either of our sides regardless of giving the board some activity is healthy for anyone in the long run. I think both of us need to put asides any disagreements that we have both started between us and instead we should both work towards getting animeboards becoming an interesting place for all of us to post. Again I'm not going to lead any such revitaliziation, I don't have the time with my offline commitments and obligations. However, I am not above helping out by starting discussions or replying to the occasional topic that starts up.

I'm just going to propose that we all just stop trying to antagonize each other, be a little more courteous, and try to make what we have here better than what it is to the best of our abilities.
__________________
Quote:
If by high art you mean it's fun to smoke pot and look at Mike Mignola's art, I'm in total agreement.
- Tom Spurgeon (writer for the comics journal), on whether or not Mike Mignola's Hellboy is high art
Project Akira is offline  
Old 11-02-2009, 02:40 PM   #27   [permalink]
Darkandiel
Junior Member
 
Darkandiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: 19 Jun 2008
Posts: 34
Send a message via MSN to Darkandiel
As of right now, I do see where eva2k is coming from with the extra admin issue though. I have to start my website over again. Thank God I hadn't put money into it. I don't own the domain, but planned to buy the forum license. The other admin wouldn't allow me to bring in a professional programmer friend because he has no clue about php. He wanted complete control, so now he has it and I wish him luck, because he has no forum experience. I feel I was being used for my experience on this. Then I'd get usurped. I'm only learning code myself, so I was running the forum itself, not coding (rules, forum layout, staffing, getting people involved, that kind of thing.) I know how to run a website with being a mod for years so it's no problem for me to start over and I've got many contacts. Next time around I'm going to make sure that I am the head admin, no collaborating. Of course I have two other less power hungry people who wanted in on the project in the first place if they had been allowed, they will be admins because I believe in delegation of power, but I will own the domain myself. I learned something valuable in the last week that helped me understand Eva's situation.

Admittedly, as well as not getting involved in off topic discussions where I feel like a newb, I am also busy. I'm probably as old as some of the veteran members here (probably one of the reasons I stayed, the fact that the member base is older), meaning I have a life, but also I have the another forum where I'm moderator to keep me busy. xD

Quote:
I don’t think this place ever had a donations button, even at its peak, so this is a real trick that can reap in huge cash rewards for Eva2k, particularly if he markets this correctly. Decreasing PM boxes is also a great idea: who the hell keeps 6,000 PMs around here anyway? As I mentioned in a previous post in this thread, there are some 2,400 members with no posts to their name, so you can just get rid of all this trash.
I'm glad you agree with this John, and I'm sure that eva2k could benefit from something doing like that, but it is up to him at the end of the day. Of course, the forum would have to get up and running before any donations are likely to come in, but I assure you, they will. You have to put the incentives there for people to donate. That involves making use of some of vb's other features.

Last edited by Darkandiel; 11-02-2009 at 04:25 PM.
Darkandiel is offline  
Old 12-02-2009, 04:17 AM   #28   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned
 
Join Date: 20 Mar 2001
Location: England
Posts: 1,535
Originally Posted by Project Akira View Post
We're both better people than this. All I'm going to say in response to you John is that some people might want to help you but you're making it very hard because you're being pretty antagonistic.
Sometimes, antagonism is an appropriate aspect of a strategy to achieve certain goals, particularly when a non-antagonistic approach has reaped no rewards. Also, there is a gradient between pure antagonism and being passionate/thought-provoking. From my perspective, I'm nowhere near the hostility levels that I can reach. For one thing, I've made it clear that my criticism of the moderators is restricted to their roles as moderators.

Originally Posted by Project Akira View Post
You're last post in response to me actually got me to make some posts here in anime forums.
Great! I can add to that to my resume.

Originally Posted by Project Akira View Post
Are the boards going to be like they used to be? No, that life cycle is over and you're right wallowing in the past isn't going to help us. So I have no problem admitting we do need to have new ideas and new approaches to getting Animeboards on new legs.
One of the key problems being that board management doesn't seem to want to give me or anyone else an indication of what they want for the future. What I keep getting is something along the lines of: yeah, we know it's a shame that nobody's posting, but that's what we can cope with. We might change some things in the future.

No vision. No indication of when changes can be expected. No milestones. No goals. No aims. No idea of what the current capacity is. For all we know, bugger all is going to happen for all eternity. No hope - see my signature.

Originally Posted by Project Akira View Post
I realize at this point after what close to at least a year of wanting to do this that you're probably feeling angered that no one here is doing anything besides yourself. However, I don't think making angry statements on either of our sides regardless of giving the board some activity is healthy for anyone in the long run.
Let's just say that the day I am genuinely angry because of inactivity on an anime messageboard is the day I check myself into a psychiatric ward.

If you want me to cut down on the swearing, then I'll make a deal: if the mods reply to my other thread with their visions and future strategies and this actually leads to discussion between them and myself, then I'd stop swearing in this subforum for 3 months.

Originally Posted by Project Akira View Post
I think both of us need to put asides any disagreements that we have both started between us and instead we should both work towards getting animeboards becoming an interesting place for all of us to post. Again I'm not going to lead any such revitaliziation, I don't have the time with my offline commitments and obligations. However, I am not above helping out by starting discussions or replying to the occasional topic that starts up.
OK, let's get real here: you have offline obligations, board management has offline obligations, Darkandiel has offline obligations and most old members have offline obligations. Also, I have offline obligations. Add to this the fact that I actually have a very low opinion of Internet messageboards and chat devices in general, which I don't exactly keep a secret, and the fact that I'm not even big on anime or video games anymore. Due to these factors, I take 1-6+ month breaks from posting here, I tend to avoid messageboards (almost giving up on them on several occasions) and I treat chat devices like an Ebola virus (except for when I have to use Skype for professional meetings). So the fact that we're actually posting here right now in this thread, I would say, is a minor miracle. One of my real motivations for coming here is to see whether this place can take a fresh new direction that I can actually tolerate.

The only thing that's going to keep this place alive in the future is a real team effort where we have a coherent strategy that we can agree on and believe in, and when I say "believe in", I don't mean in a "Lennie/Candy in Of Mice and Men" kind of way. Hence ongoing negotiations with Eva2k on such a strategy.

Originally Posted by Darkandiel
As of right now, I do see where eva2k is coming from with the extra admin issue though. I have to start my website over again. Thank God I hadn't put money into it. I don't own the domain, but planned to buy the forum license. The other admin wouldn't allow me to bring in a professional programmer friend because he has no clue about php. He wanted complete control, so now he has it and I wish him luck, because he has no forum experience. I feel I was being used for my experience on this. Then I'd get usurped. I'm only learning code myself, so I was running the forum itself, not coding (rules, forum layout, staffing, getting people involved, that kind of thing.) I know how to run a website with being a mod for years so it's no problem for me to start over and I've got many contacts. Next time around I'm going to make sure that I am the head admin, no collaborating. Of course I have two other less power hungry people who wanted in on the project in the first place if they had been allowed, they will be admins because I believe in delegation of power, but I will own the domain myself. I learned something valuable in the last week that helped me understand Eva's situation.
I suggest Eva2k makes you a moderator of this website. What do you think?

Originally Posted by Darkandiel
Admittedly, as well as not getting involved in off topic discussions where I feel like a newb, I am also busy.
Well, firstly, what off-topic discussions? There's hardly been any, apart from threads like these. I wouldn't call threads on marriage and engagement "discussions". There's a thread about Obama's inauguration, and I don't think there'd be any problems if you posted anything in that thread. At this stage, people probably wouldn't give a s-hit about whether you're a newbie or not, because they don't really give a s-hit about anything.

Originally Posted by Darkandiel
I'm probably as old as some of the veteran members here (probably one of the reasons I stayed, the fact that the member base is older), meaning I have a life, but also I have the another forum where I'm moderator to keep me busy. xD
So you're saying that you're not fond of juvenile crap on anime messageboards? If so, that makes two of us!

A real idea is to gear AnimeBoards to an older crowd, because that could be a niche market with some demand, and would differentiate this place from other anime forums. Of course, age does not guarantee maturity, but it increases the likelihood of more coherent discussions.
John Faulkner is offline  
Old 12-02-2009, 05:09 PM   #29   [permalink]
Darkandiel
Junior Member
 
Darkandiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: 19 Jun 2008
Posts: 34
Send a message via MSN to Darkandiel
Originally Posted by John Faulkner View Post
I suggest Eva2k makes you a moderator of this website. What do you think?
The decision is totally Eva2k's to make regarding anything to do with staff. As much as I'd love to help him out, I really, really can't mod another forum. I just wouldn't have the time to spend between all the sites. I'm not joking or over-exaggerating when I say that I'm a moderator on TWO other anime forums. The second since a couple of months ago. I only said yes to that one because I spend too much time on there anyway.. And of course there's my own site.

Originally Posted by John Faulkner View Post
So you're saying that you're not fond of juvenile crap on anime messageboards? If so, that makes two of us!

A real idea is to gear AnimeBoards to an older crowd, because that could be a niche market with some demand, and would differentiate this place from other anime forums. Of course, age does not guarantee maturity, but it increases the likelihood of more coherent discussions.
I don't think that anyone who has been on a messageboard for years is fond of juvenile crap or to put it simply and bluntly...retards. Some of them even collect infractions to see who can get one from each moderator first. They are not always 16 year olds that do this either. I've seen a lot of idiots.

Last edited by Darkandiel; 12-02-2009 at 05:10 PM.
Darkandiel is offline  
Old 13-02-2009, 10:06 PM   #30   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned
 
Join Date: 20 Mar 2001
Location: England
Posts: 1,535
Originally Posted by Darkandiel View Post
The decision is totally Eva2k's to make regarding anything to do with staff. As much as I'd love to help him out, I really, really can't mod another forum. I just wouldn't have the time to spend between all the sites. I'm not joking or over-exaggerating when I say that I'm a moderator on TWO other anime forums. The second since a couple of months ago. I only said yes to that one because I spend too much time on there anyway.. And of course there's my own site.
Come to think of it, I'm not even sure Eva2k wants to do anything about his moderators at the moment, given the mystery that is shrouding his future strategy. I suggested new moderators because the current lot have no fire in their bellies at all - no passion and no pride. For one thing, only one ever seems to come here anymore.

Originally Posted by Darkandiel View Post
I don't think that anyone who has been on a messageboard for years is fond of juvenile crap or to put it simply and bluntly...retards. Some of them even collect infractions to see who can get one from each moderator first. They are not always 16 year olds that do this either. I've seen a lot of idiots.
Yes, it's absolutely true that older people are not immune to being stuck in the quagmire of pre-pubescent thinking. On the whole, I'd say older people on messageboards are less prone to juvenile crap, but are still prone to crap manifested through other forms. Have you ever been to this website - http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/ ?
John Faulkner is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hi, my name is Glabrezu Glabrezu Introduction Archives 46 28-05-2008 08:55 AM
The 2nd Annual Animeboards Poster Awards Wolfpac General Non-Anime Discussion Archive 2000-2003 71 10-12-2001 03:25 PM
[Archive]: Ask Captain Jake anything about Evangelion part II, the sequel!!! eva2000 Evangelion Ezboard archives 0 01-07-2000 04:35 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.