Old 29-04-2003, 11:55 PM   #31   [permalink]
SenshiNaka
Forum Addicted

Send a message via AIM to SenshiNaka Send a message via Yahoo to SenshiNaka
Both of you put up great arguements...
Im sorry but i change my vote to not creating the forum, because i totally wasnt thinking about bandwidth issues.
And BN your membership isnt worth a Pokemon forum, because i can tell you want to see this forum grow, and i can tell you like it hear...
SenshiNaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2003, 10:16 PM   #32   [permalink]
Black_Knight
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via ICQ to Black_Knight Send a message via AIM to Black_Knight Send a message via Yahoo to Black_Knight
Quote:
Originally posted by Project Akira
No I won't agree to it because for I do not trust you whatsoever and thus cannot trust you to hold up your end. It's a stupid wager anyways. I don't care that you're here honestly. All I care about is seeing yet another forum created where nothing is discussed except for every once in awhile when some newbie asks a question about the series then goes off to watch another series. I'm sorry that concept doesn't fit into your perception of why I'm doing this but that's the truth. This sort of thing would be a waste of bandwidth and netspace.
Like I said, you fear that I may win, so you rationlize this is by claiming that I am incompetant and also dishonorable. And as I said, you really belelive that such a forum will threaten your very lifestyle? Please, you can say all you want you are trying to save Eva2000 from making a critical mistake, but it comes down to that neither you nor I have the power to prevernt or create such a forum. But I am doing everything in my power to create it, you're trying to prevent it's creation.

It's your fear that you deny, the small amount of fear that I may be right and pokemon can endure and flurish here. Give it up, you're in a corner and I just blasted your own last escape route out. You cannot save yourself now. I'll make sure of that.
-Bishop Oro
Black_Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2003, 11:41 PM   #33   [permalink]
Project Akira
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via AIM to Project Akira
I forgot how amusing you are when you are self righteous and start living in a world that your ego has made. I didn't take that wager because it was stupid and would prove nothing. It was a cheap shot on your part to claim superiority in an internet argument, plain and simple.

You are right, I am trying to prevent the creation of a forum. In order to prevent the creation of this thread I am explaining my reasons. I'm also presenting reasons in a concise manner. It's called creating a counterpoint and discussing an argument. And if you really want to measure how effective this whole argument has been, look at SenshiNaka's post. They state that they have been convinced that this would be a bad idea. Notice that you haven't won any supporters. Most people would take that as a clue to maybe reconsider their strategy. I commend you on your commitment to seeing this through but honestly you may want to regroup and review your strategy. As a suggestion you might want to consider making actual reasons and researched opinions before resorting to fanboy ramblings that make sense only to you. There is a difference between the two. That's not an insult, it's merely advice from one poster to another.
Project Akira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 08:37 PM   #34   [permalink]
Black_Knight
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via ICQ to Black_Knight Send a message via AIM to Black_Knight Send a message via Yahoo to Black_Knight
If you think I have gone so far to delude myself from reality for this, you are far from mistaken.

As said before, both argument can be taken into a account and can be equally affective.

Pros to having a pokemon forum*
[list=1][*]Increased membership[*]Converting begining level anime fans to more advanced classes[*]Having wider ranges of discustions[*]More varied type forums on AnimeBoards.com[*]Prove that AnimeBoards.com is a place fore all ages and tastes[*]Hey, Eva2000 happens to like Pokemon[/list=1]

Cons to havin a pokemon forum*
  • Increased membership means greater chance of nafarious elements in forum
  • Flamewars and other problems may arise from children being on this forum
  • Older audiances might be turned off from joining because of the pokemon forum
  • If it fails, bandwidth will be wasted
  • A lot of people hate pokemon so it might not be well received

That about covers it? And Like I said, I am willing to bet it all against you. Seeing something that was deemed impossible will make me so content. Seeing you and your pride go the way of flesh, that's a bonus. But, like I said before you fear I might win and rationalize that I am being deluded. And it's not like I have a lot to lose either. I reached VIP rank. I helped 6 forums get created, One singlehandedly. Helped keep 3 from becoming ghost forums, Got 3 rules either writen or revised, and managed to survive massively poor Public Relations to boot and survive to have a 180 done on public opinion. If that's not enough for someone, I don't know what is. But I left my mark, unapperciated, I am indifernet to that, but I know I did. And this wasn't in my delustionary world that you claim I have Project Akria...

Learn to see all sides of the argument before flinging yourself into the fray.
-Bishop Oro
Black_Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 07:51 AM   #35   [permalink]
ATh
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Send a message via ICQ to ATh
1) increased membership. AB has enough to warrent registrations being closed for up to 4 months at a time. Pokemon forum will not make this into a positive.

2)Im glad you pride yourself on class distiction.

3) Discussions i presume, there is enough ranger here already, nothing is hindering pokemon discussions now

4) HUH?

5) not all ages, 13+ age range

6) so how does that make this a positive, if he liked it enough that he'd create a forum one would exist for it already.

ATh
ATh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 11:04 AM   #36   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned

Check out these ramblings:

Quote:
Project AkiraAll I've said is that it's a shallow television marketing tool.
You know what, the first time Pokemon was advertised on TV, I thought it was a cheap, embarassing marketing tool too. Then I watched an episode one day and found that I actually enjoyed it. Over the years, I have thought about why I actually like watching it, and it slowly became clear. Now of course, I’m not going to say Pokemon is the best anime ever and if you don’t like it, then you’re just a conformist with no sense of humour (because it’s not true). Nor would I go shouting from the rooftops the virtues of the show as a means of differentiating myself from other people, and carving out a niche whilst continuing to watch the show blindly. The truth is I really do like to watch the series. It’s got poor episodes, the animation is shoddy in places, some gags get very repetitive but overall, I still like it. Here’s why:

1.There is no doubt that the show is used as a marketing tool, in the sense that it is complemented by merchandise such as toys and the card games. As such, the series generates interest in the Pokemon brand and attracts kids to the merchandise. However, on watching the show, it becomes clear that another key feature is that it sets out to entertain. The show does not set out with the aim to “get as much merchandise off the shelves as possible” because it offers humour and a plot which is unrelated to goods available. Take for example when Team Rocket goes and steals Pikachu, then Ash gets it back…….doesn’t exactly send out the message that you should go out and get a Pokemon pillowcase. So I think yes, it offers marketing, but not even close to the extent that it takes over the whole show. When you have a popular show that people like, you can easily find evidence that the show is a marketing platform. But then you have to look at the show on its own, to see whether it offers anything else. Take Inuyasha, it shows the logos of its sponsors every episode, but I wouldn’t go slagging it off as a marketing platform and dismissing it just because of that.

2. Initially, I watched the show as I found it funny and wanted to see what happened next. As the plot has degenerated for now, I still watch it because I find it funny. Why do I find it funny you may ask? Because of Team Rocket, the facial expressions on the characters and the humorous storylines. It doesn’t take itself too seriously, and when I watch the show, it’s kind of relaxing. Some people like their shows to be thought provoking- but after watching more serious series such as Eva, Berserk, Gundam, Trigun (well the second half of it anyway), Lain, Ghost In The Shell, Read or Die, Akira, Ninja Scroll etc., I want to watch a show which is not too serious, and Pokemon still plays the part.

Similar reasons hold for why I watch Digimon, Medabots, and those sort of shows. I was doing my A-Levels when I started watching Pokemon and most people in my year viewed it as childish (there were people that watched the show though), but then it all boils down to do I stop watching it because other people don’t like it? Well, of course not, so long as I don’t just watch it because I want to be different just for the sake of it, and I continue to enjoy it.

Quote:
Project Akira It won't work for a few reasons. One only two people on the boards talk about Pokemon and other assorted throwaway series with any sort of regularity
That’s a good point, there is a lack of demand. In Pokemon/Digimon posts over the years, about 10 or so people post that they do actually enjoy the show, but when someone posts “OK, what is your favorite episode then etc.”, no-one follows on. So either they want to post but don’t (an inferiority complex or something), or they don’t want to.
I think there would be enough to talk about if there was a forum, and I’m not pretending here that it would be full of sizzling, philosophical, meta-physical, postmodernistic debates, since Pokemon/Digimon (etc.) are not really deep shows and they have simple plots with only a few twists and turns. But the fact is, they don’t set out to be deep and you can have a post without being deep. You could talk about the battles that went on during the shows, the funniest Team Rocket moment, why didn’t Charizard listen to Ash, the episodes that weren’t shown, the movies etc. There’s certainly as much to talk about as CardCaptors or Gatekeepers say.
I wouldn’t mind a forum, but it would all depend on whether there is enough demand and at the moment, there’s not much evidence…….

Quote:
Project Akira Pokemon is once again nothing more than a marketing tool geared towards children that more than likely has those "messages" that teach as nothing more than a cover to make the show not look like the commercial it is.
The messages certainly are simple and easy to understand if you are not a kid. I could argue that at least it’s not a pretentious show, with unnecessary pseudo-complex angst-ridden storylines to mask an incredibly simple message. Immaturity and shallowness is an accusation often levelled at Pokemon the series, but I believe those terms are highly subjective. Is slicing the heads off 10 people with a large broadsword immature? Is a teenage love story in a fantastical setting shallow and immature? If you like giant robots, is that immature? Is watching anime immature? Do you think children visiting a castle in the sky is immature? If your dream is to become a great footballer, is that a shallow notion? If someone offends you, and you don’t forgive them, is that immature? Etc. etc.
Point being that there are clear cut cases like Barney the Dinosaur and a psychology textbook for professors, but the Pokemon show has enough to offer such that it isn’t totally immature and shallow.
John Faulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 11:22 AM   #37   [permalink]
ATh
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

James gets boobs, what more can be said

I really dislike his english voice though.

Still you havent addressed the issue of the percieved cultural change AB will face if a pokemon board is put into action. Alot of people come here because it doesnt have one and is thus seen to cater for the 'higher' anime.

It is only once in GAD that pokemon is discussed. Though i guess witht he front page as it is now Nobody can tell what forums exist so it is a moot point.

ATh
Old 11-05-2003, 10:40 AM   #38   [permalink]
John Faulkner
Banned

Yes, James really likes being a woman. You know, his English voice starts off posh and fairly high pitched, then morphs into a smooth and extremely deep one. Strange. I think it’s quite an entertaining voice.

Yeah, I think the culture of AB wouldn’t accept a Pokemon board without a fight, maybe you’d see some threads in protest if it did happen. I’d probably say the culture overall is one where anime is perceived as a mature medium, and those discussions perceived as thought-provoking take precedence over those that aren’t. Some forums are very competitive with members that have a point to prove. So a “Mon” board would be hard to stomach and maybe members would start to lose their pride almost, their identity on a messageboard community level. A culture change operation involving a public address by Eva2000 might be needed although casualties in terms of member resignation and a revolt/ boycott cannot be ruled out. So it could be vital to get approval from members before such a board can exist.
(and if all that sounds like a load of crap, you can blame it on all the lectures on culture I have had)

I was thinking if someone drew up an anime style “map” of a city or inside a building for the front page, with each building or room representing a forum, then wouldn’t that look quite good? You could then say “Hey, I think I’ll go to the Gundam Institute [Gundam Forum] and check out the latest posts”.
John Faulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 10:55 PM   #39   [permalink]
Squall Leonhart
Forum Addicted

Send a message via MSN to Squall Leonhart
Quote:
Originally posted by ATh

I am not against a 'Mons' forum just this isnt the place for it.

Actually, considering this place is called ANIMEboards and not SELECTGROUPboards, i think it is quite the place for it. Pokemon is anime just like Evangelion, so what if it is not as deep, its light hearted and meant to be comical. God forbid there be somthing lighthearted for once.
Squall Leonhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 05:08 AM   #40   [permalink]
ATh
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

It is animeboards and it is selectanimneboards.

there are lots of anime that will never get a forum here,

deal with it

ATh
Old 08-07-2003, 12:39 PM   #41   [permalink]
GuGuEaTeR
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to GuGuEaTeR Send a message via MSN to GuGuEaTeR
waitaminute...

nah, i say it's a bad idea. there's a very high chance that really young kids might join this forum (when regis are open again) and WILL see the Almighty Picture Threads... and i don't think that's a good idea at all. NOT at all... tainting little kids minds... that's just cruelty!
GuGuEaTeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 03:21 PM   #42   [permalink]
Squall Leonhart
Forum Addicted

Quote:
Originally posted by ATh
It is animeboards and it is selectanimneboards.

there are lots of anime that will never get a forum here,

deal with it

ATh
deal with it....right.

Heyeveryone! ATh decided that he would be god, so lets all follow what he says!

Honestly, having a mon forum isnt going to warp animeboards into a kiddie playground. Yes, i know that there is a lot of anime that will not be put into forums here. But that is mainly because not many have heard of it, or it wasnt very good. Most forms of Mon is rather famous and we've all either have heard of them, or we watch them.
Not ATh im sorry if your parents smacked you around when you were a child, and locked you into a basement for a few years, but thats really there fault. Not Pokemon's. A mon forum has every right to be on ANIMEboards as does Evangelion.
Old 08-07-2003, 04:46 PM   #43   [permalink]
Project Akira
V.I.P. Member

It may have the right to be here but that doesn't guarantee it will be successful. I'd like you to link us to the discussion of "mon" related shows in the anime forums over the past 30 days or so. Post as many links that come up. Mon forum won't work because only three or four people will post in it.
Old 08-07-2003, 05:38 PM   #44   [permalink]
Squall Leonhart
Forum Addicted

alright, maby it wouldnt work, but why not give it a shot? why not just put it up for like say...a month. if it isnt successful, i will tip my hat to you and say your right. but all im saying is at least consider it having a chance
Old 08-07-2003, 10:22 PM   #45   [permalink]
Project Akira
V.I.P. Member

That's what the "Experimental Mon Forum" thread in General Anime discussion was set up for and it only has two people who regularly post in it.