Old 10-02-2013, 11:36 AM   #1   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Red face Knight Hunters

I watched the sequel series, Knight Hunters Eternity, some time ago. I remember I liked it, but I don't remember much else -- except that many of the main characters don't end up so well.

So I finally got around to watching the original. This is a relatively older anime dating back to 2001, so the animation is somewhat dated at parts. Still we seem to be getting a good story.

Ken, Omi, Aya and Youji are four young men who jointly run a florist shop -- by day. At night they are vigilantes working for some unnamed organization. Their mission is to kill. Simple enough, except they all seem to bring a bit of baggage to the job.

I finished disc 1, episodes 1-5. It is pretty good so far, though all the stories up to now are to establish the characters. More later, so please post no spoilers!

Last edited by MeMyself; 05-03-2013 at 08:54 PM.
MeMyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:50 PM   #2   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

So I got through disc 2, episodes 6-10, and this series is really starting to look routine. There is just an edge of darkness to keep me barely interested. Oh, episode 10 does have a plot twist involving Omi, but the story is just not well developed.

There are a total of 5 discs and I expect Netflix to deliver disc 3 tomorrow. I will decide after that if I really want to watch the other two. I remember liking the sequel, but Knight Hunters after starting well is quickly grinding to a halt.
Old 16-02-2013, 09:31 PM   #3   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

The good news is that the basic story starts to get interesting again with disc 3. There is a tragic turn of events, and it looks like it may be the end for the Knight Hunters of Weiss.

The problem is that this anime is not very well written. I turned from the English dub to the Japanese with subtitles, hoping maybe I will find the missing element. The problem is the story is developing much too quickly. There needs to be time for things to develop naturally. The result is a rather shaky plot.

But I figure I might as well finish the series. Right now, my final review could go either way, and I want to be fair.
Old 28-02-2013, 12:12 AM   #4   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

Disc 4 seems to be the first five episodes of the second season. After victory and losses, the Hunters of Weiss go their separate ways. But soon the band gets back together for new missions and old enemies.

The opening scene of episode 16 has the best background art of the series. I thought maybe we are in for a bit of an improvement. But actually much of the animation turned out to be worse than the first half. This show really looks like it was done on the cheap with little effort.

Still I remain interested as the storylines play with the characters' turmoil. That one bit of darkness keeps the light of interest burning.

OK, one more disc to go.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:53 PM   #5   [permalink]
MeMyself
Forum Junkie

I finished the series. There is a bit of a surprise twist at the end following the final battle between Weiss and their old enemies, and a plot involving a religious cult. I don't remember much about the sequel series, except that it was a bit better. Well, if I don't remember that much, maybe it was not so great.

In all, the animation of Knight Hunters is well below standard. The fight sequences are almost laughable in the finale. The story is nothing special, and is not that well told. Still my interest was held due to the several sub-plots revealing the Hunters' inner-conflicts. That touch of darkness keeps Knight Hunters from being a total waste.

No recommendation here to watch or not watch. Depending on your taste, you may well be board or you may also find elements to keep you interested.