Old 20-07-2002, 01:51 AM   #1   [permalink]
Elhaym
Forum Addicted

Send a message via AIM to Elhaym
Our Lady Peace and all it's Raine-y goodness

Wednesday night, Jen, Drizz, and I went to the Our Lady Peace concert. It was entertaining enough. The night started out with listening to the opening bands, which were horrible. Probably a couple of local Austin bands. Just plain bad. So, we had to entertain ourselves with other activities, while trying to tune out the music. This involved making fun of the people around us. The crowd consisted mostly of what looked like sorority people. Which pissed me off. Guys with Abercrombie shirts on and girls with not-quite-shirts on. Here I am in my OLP “Clumsy” shirt, and the rest of the girls look like they're going to a rave or something. Shiny halter tops and high heels. Jen was like, “Didn’t you know? On the new album, they do a lot of trance and techno.” Ha. Chaz bought a $3 beer (which left him with $1, all he has left after getting back from AX), and tried not to spill it while I gnawed on his arm out of boredom. There was also this one lady that looked really drunk. She was apparently on a first, or maybe second, date with this guy, and they both looked around their late 30s or early 40s. They looked like they’d fit in better at a Dave Matthew’s Band concert or something. But she was amusing. We sat there and watched her until the opening bands were finished. She couldn’t stop laughing, and she kept stumbling because of her heels. At one point, she lost one of her shoes. Don’t know where it went.

So, after all this, Our Lady Peace finally came on stage. Yay! My first thought was, “Damn. From this far away, Raine (lead singer) looks a little like Toby. .. Raine’s sexy. ….. That’s it! I’m marrying Toby!” I think it was the hair and the shirt and tie. Yes, he was wearing a shirt and tie. Which makes him sexier. I didn’t know the song they opened with. Something from their new Gravity album, which I DESPISE. But it sounded okay live. The music was good, and from what I could see of Raine (I was too short to see much of anything, except for the few times Chaz found a spot where he could see through the crowd and moved me to it), he put on quite a show. He danced around and whatnot, which was cute. Then, during “One Man Army,” he climbed the tower of speakers, and onto the ledge of the second story balcony (it was an outdoor stage, this being a BBQ and beer joint) while singing. At the end of the song, he handed his mic to some girl standing on the balcony and jumped off into the audience. It was neat. Drizz: “I wonder if the security guards had to get down there and tell the people, ‘Okay, he’s going to jump off. CATCH HIM.’”

I also noticed that the people around me (the sorority girls with half-shirts and the stoned, drunk guys in Abercrombie) only sang along with the songs they played from ‘Gravity.’ Doesn’t surprise me. They didn’t play “Somewhere Out There” (the new “hit” on the radio; I hate this song) until the very end of the show. Jen and I had been joking about the sorority girls all night; they only came to the concert because they heard a few songs on the radio. When she heard the opening of the song, she rolled her eyes and sighed. “Oh my god, they FINALLY play the song.” I laughed.

All in all, it was a good concert. I had a good time, heard most all the songs I wanted to hear, even if I had to tolerate the ones I could have lived without. MmmMmMm…. Raine…

ATTN: DEAR,

HOW ARE YOU? HOPE FINE, MEANWHILE, I AM MR JAMAL YOUSEF THE MANAGER OF AUDIT AND ACCOUNTANCY DEPARTMENT BANK OF AFRICA (BOA) OUAGA, BF WEST AFRICA
Old 20-07-2002, 02:05 AM   #2   [permalink]
ussjburori
Forum Master

well......i just got back from half of system's set and 3 ozzy songs, so you win! ha! wait.....crap

*is envious* i've been wanting to see them live for years, damn you jessi. damn you and your "having money for ticket" ways
Old 20-07-2002, 02:11 AM   #3   [permalink]
stdio.h
Forum Addicted

Send a message via AIM to stdio.h
Sounds like it was an eventful concert for you guys.....actually compared to most that was probably the beach boys.

The only concerts I ever go to are free and filled with senior citizens. What do you guys see in those crazy performances (and yes, I do know there is a good explanation, of which I can only begin to hypothesize).
Old 20-07-2002, 03:43 AM   #4   [permalink]
Elhaym
Forum Addicted

Quote:
Originally posted by ussjburori
well......i just got back from half of system's set and 3 ozzy songs, so you win! ha! wait.....crap
Well, there was probably just as many angry males and moshing. And crowd surfers. It's Our Lady Peace, for f*ck's sake! Who MOSHES at an Our Lady Peace concert?! *cough* Anyway. They eventually started fighting. The fight didn't last long, though. Testosterone!! YEAAAAHH!! Stupid boys.

HOW ARE YOU? HOPE FINE, MEANWHILE, I AM MR JAMAL YOUSEF THE MANAGER OF AUDIT AND ACCOUNTANCY DEPARTMENT BANK OF AFRICA (BOA) OUAGA, BF WEST AFRICA
Old 20-07-2002, 10:55 PM   #5   [permalink]
katiedid
Forum Elite

Send a message via AIM to katiedid
yay! concerts are fun! glad you had a good time, elhaym, although i'm sorry that their new album sucks... they're coming up here to a tiny little venue down in fargo next month sometime but i need to save up my cashola for cake/modest mouse/flaming lips awesome-ness at the end of august. can't wait!

how big was the place? couldn't you have just smacked those people who only went cuz they heard their song on the radio?! ugh. at the white stripes i kept hearing people go: "oh! they gotta play the lego song!" (the song "fell in love with a girl" has a cool lego-style video... ) those people bug me. and they never did play the song.
Old 22-07-2002, 07:16 PM   #6   [permalink]
Drizzten
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Send a message via AIM to Drizzten
First time at Stubb's. Pretty nice venue, if you don't mind the 30º downward-left slope in front of the stage. Sure gives your calves a workout! Oh wait, I'm like six feet tall...

OLP was better than I expected live. I've only got Clumsy but their albums both pre- and proceeding that sound worth getting now. It fills a cosey niche between my regular grunge/alt-rock and metal/light industrial listening. Raine's sky-dive caught everyone by surprise, so I gotta give them points for his ballsy manuver.

You must thank your friend for letting me use her ticket, Jessi. Otherwise, it would have been a long night of watching some friends react to the fourth volume of Evangelion for the first time.
Old 23-07-2002, 01:41 AM   #7   [permalink]
Elhaym
Forum Addicted

Yeah, I'll tell Anna you appreciated it. I like Stubb's a lot. I saw Modest Mouse and Built to Spill there, too. MM was the best concert EVER. Mmm.. Issac..

Anyway, "couldn't you have just smacked those people who only went cuz they heard their song on the radio?!" YES! >< God! I hate that!

Old 29-07-2002, 10:10 PM   #8   [permalink]
Forever Z.E.R.O.
Executive Member

Send a message via AIM to Forever Z.E.R.O.
I went to a Zao, Underoath concert last night. Zao and Underoath were both amazing, but the other bands werent very good. The hardcore dancing was pretty fun to watch too, though when the fat guy took off his shirt and was bending over in front of me I got kind of nervous. The dancing was a bit too hardcore fo rme. The pit was too small and would be pointless, and my friend got kicked in the stomach so I've decided I'm not down with the hardcore dancing scene. Underoath was simply AWESOME though. Their drummer has a voice like an angel, and they keyboard player had some awesome stage presence which is the first time I'd ever seen a keyboard player rock out.

I'm not too big on OLP. They remind me too much of Creed(whom I hate with the fury of a thousand suns), but then again I've only heard 1 of their songs.

For one moment, I could see clearly, the weight of the World doesnt seem so bad

Life is like throwing feathers at the wind, they come right back to you again, so why not give it one more try?
Old 29-07-2002, 10:51 PM   #9   [permalink]
Elhaym
Forum Addicted

Quote:
Originally posted by Forever Z.E.R.O.
I'm not too big on OLP. They remind me too much of Creed(whom I hate with the fury of a thousand suns), but then again I've only heard 1 of their songs.
Ooooo... that was low. I ------- HATE Creed. OLP's new album, Gravity, is really ------. Maybe you heard a song off there. It's really generic, and it makes me sad.

Last edited by Elhaym; 29-07-2002 at 10:52 PM.
Old 29-07-2002, 10:54 PM   #10   [permalink]
Forever Z.E.R.O.
Executive Member

Send a message via AIM to Forever Z.E.R.O.
Yea, it probably was from their new cd since the song I heard was on the radio, and I saw a crappy video on MTV one morning as I groggily flipped channels.

For one moment, I could see clearly, the weight of the World doesnt seem so bad

Life is like throwing feathers at the wind, they come right back to you again, so why not give it one more try?
Old 30-07-2002, 01:23 AM   #11   [permalink]
Amelia
Forum Addicted

Send a message via AIM to Amelia
my friend invited me to an Our Lady Peace concert yesterday, but i can't go because we're going on vacation the day of the concert. i am very, very bummed.
my new AIM s/n: LitleMisFunshine

*mumbles something vulgar*
Old 30-07-2002, 02:33 AM   #12   [permalink]
7thchildren
Forum Addicted

Send a message via AIM to 7thchildren
OLP, my sisters obbsestion, Happyness is not a fish that you can catch...im gonna kill raine.......

*put his metal breifcase of floor of 20-storie building, assembes a V-set persicion rifle, proseeceds to land land 3 High Velocity hits on raines head and torso, watchs in amusment as he explodes* MUA HAHAHAHAHAHA that waz so........................................stupid it aint even funny if u didnt laugh i understand please forgive me,.......stop the stareing, it burns................