Old 18-08-2002, 12:54 PM   #1   [permalink]
vaughn

nickelodeon and Anime!?

yep. you heard right. Nickelodeon will be showing Speed racer starting next sunday at 3 pm. central.yeah!!! I wonder what other shows they will have!?
Old 18-08-2002, 01:02 PM   #2   [permalink]
Bekkichan
Forum Junkie

Send a message via ICQ to Bekkichan Send a message via AIM to Bekkichan Send a message via Yahoo to Bekkichan
Back in the 80s, Nick showed quite a bit of anime. Old kiddie anime that most of us who remember them don't really think of as anime, but it was still anime. Maya the Bee, David the Gnome (I think...?), The Noozles, etc...

Heh, I'll have to check out Speed Racer though. I've always been curious to see that.
Old 18-08-2002, 02:04 PM   #3   [permalink]
Fatal Outlaw
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to Fatal Outlaw
Re: nickelodeon and Anime!?

Quote:
Originally posted by vaughn
yep. you heard right. Nickelodeon will be showing Speed racer starting next sunday at 3 pm. central.yeah!!! I wonder what other shows they will have!?
yup, heard about it weeks ago, didnt care much until i heard that it was the 1997 re-make that they're going to air.

and Speed Racer is the only anime on the block, other than that, Invader Zim, Butt-Ugly Martians and Robot Wars
Fatal Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2002, 04:20 PM   #4   [permalink]
Ukiki

hmmm... i doubt nickelodeon will get very serious. not many non-otakus think of speed racer as anime it seems...
Old 18-08-2002, 07:04 PM   #5   [permalink]
vaughn

my brother used to like speed racer and he said it was cool. So I'm really hyped up about it. (Invader Zim is AWESOME!)
Old 19-08-2002, 03:46 PM   #6   [permalink]
Black_Knight
V.I.P. Member

Send a message via ICQ to Black_Knight Send a message via AIM to Black_Knight Send a message via Yahoo to Black_Knight
Quote:
Originally posted by Bekkichan
Back in the 80s, Nick showed quite a bit of anime. Old kiddie anime that most of us who remember them don't really think of as anime, but it was still anime. Maya the Bee, David the Gnome (I think...?), The Noozles, etc...
Those? I never even remember cartoons back then. It was all game shows, like double dare, Video Arcade and that giant TV screen where you connected the dots.

Then came Nicktoons... Bah the only good thing there was Ren and Stimpy...
-Bishop Oro
Black_Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2002, 04:12 PM   #7   [permalink]
blindside

Send a message via AIM to blindside
i agree....ren and stimpy were the only decent ones....rockos modern life was ok as well
Old 19-08-2002, 04:17 PM   #8   [permalink]
Sylvan
Executive Member

Whoa, David the gnome is an anime? I used to love that show!
Sylvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2002, 04:38 PM   #9   [permalink]
gawl
Executive Member

Nick showing anime can only help the anime industry. Nick is the premiere cable channel that shows hard, cutting edge animation, so it is only natural for them to show the glorious series known as speed racer.
gawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2002, 05:10 PM   #10   [permalink]
snowcherry
Forum Elite

Send a message via AIM to snowcherry
"David the Gnome" wasn't anime. "Maple Town" and "Adventures of Little Koala" were, however. Those were my two favorite shows as a kid...
Old 19-08-2002, 05:16 PM   #11   [permalink]
Ah Sayuni

I really like Ren & Stimpy though it's done in a very different style from any Anime...
Old 19-08-2002, 05:36 PM   #12   [permalink]
Drizzten
Ex Moderator V.I.P.

Send a message via AIM to Drizzten
Quote:
Says gawl:
Nick showing anime can only help the anime industry. Nick is the premiere cable channel that shows hard, cutting edge animation, so it is only natural for them to show the glorious series known as speed racer.
Is that my sarcasm meter beeping? Of course, it's been years since I've watched Nick. I have no idea what they show today.

I've seen some Speed Racer. Boring doesn't come close to describe what I've watched. There's plenty of other series to show that aren't so horribly dated.
Drizzten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2002, 08:28 PM   #13   [permalink]
Bekkichan
Forum Junkie

Send a message via ICQ to Bekkichan Send a message via AIM to Bekkichan Send a message via Yahoo to Bekkichan
Oh, I thought I'd heard somewhere that David the Gnome was Japanese... eh well. It was one of my favorites though. I remember years after Nick dropped it, some other channel picked it up (TLC maybe?) and it ran eps I'd never seen on Nick. In one, I guess it was the finale, David and his wife "died" gnome-style... a.k.a. turned into trees... o.O

Quote:
Those? I never even remember cartoons back then. It was all game shows, like double dare, Video Arcade and that giant TV screen where you connected the dots.
Dude, that thing with Bill Cosby and the musical pen?? I always wanted one of those book things And man... Nick Arcade was awesome. That was the 'older kids' programming though, the kiddie anime shows were on early in the morning.

I also remember liking this afternoon cartoon special on Nick about... some kind of ants? who as a coming-of-age thing had to grow a... tunk? *_*;; I have no idea what it was called though, bah.
Old 19-08-2002, 08:51 PM   #14   [permalink]
Timon
Forum Addicted

Send a message via ICQ to Timon Send a message via AIM to Timon Send a message via MSN to Timon Send a message via Yahoo to Timon
Thumbs down but that's another topic...

Quote:
Originally posted by Drizzten

I've seen some Speed Racer. Boring doesn't come close to describe what I've watched. There's plenty of other series to show that aren't so horribly dated.
Don't worry! It's the "new" version of Speed Racer

Don't you just love remade/revised/remixed/etc versions of old media

Last edited by Timon; 19-08-2002 at 08:57 PM.
Timon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2002, 09:56 PM   #15   [permalink]
Fatal Outlaw
Forum Master

Send a message via AIM to Fatal Outlaw
Quote:
Originally posted by gawl

premiere cable channel that shows cutting edge animation...somehow, i see something wrong in that statement
Fatal Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote